John Coughlin Out Due to Hip Surgery

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Dec 5, 2012.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Successful repair of a torn labrum was just done today! Needless to say, they are out for that matter, the rest of the season. Who will be the new US Champions? My money is on Castelli and Shnapir for now

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48740&type=media

(Edited out since the original post was corrected/edited.)

ETA:
    That could be, but the press release doesn't say that.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

When did all this happen? He didn't seem to be struggling during the GP season.

Anyway, I hope he'll have a full recovery, even though D/C are hardly favorites of mine.

5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

US pairs this season :eek:

(((John))) Here's wishing a speedy recovery. :(

Can we convince Mary Beth Marley to come back with Rockne? Pleeeeeeeease? They still have their bye to Nats, right? ;)

That having been said, it's a great opportunity for both Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff to step up and seize the moment.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  6. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

This will be yet another example of USFS needing to update their rules to take into account injuries involving their top athletes. Because of the bad timing of this surgery, it doesn't seem like D/C could being ready for Nationals, but they'd probably be more than fine for Worlds. Granted, we could send C/S and S/K to Worlds and probably not do that badly (especially considering the field just isn't very deep in pairs), but it's certainly not a great idea to not send your clear top team if they are healthy and ready. Ugh.

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the Worlds team for 2013 hasn't been named yet, so theoretically D/C could still be on it. They may or may not be named, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them as 1st alternates, especially since they are one of only 3 US teams to make the minimum score. At least the 3rd place team (if C/S and S/K are 1-2) will have a chance to make the Worlds min score at 4CC, just in case....of course its always possible they don't make it :/

8. stjeaskategym

Yes, USFS has a history of tinkering with alternate positions, and as you mentioned, we barely have any pairs that have met the min score anyway. USFS might be forced to become more flexible in how they select teams now that there are minimum scores and whatnot.

But the actual teams seem to always get named right at Nationals. So I'd be pretty shocked if D/C made the team, or if USFS left the second spot vacant until later to see if D/C could prove readiness in time (which is what should happen if our country is interested in trying to send its best possible team).

9. Sylvia

The selection rules are updated for this type of situation, AFAIK (i.e., Belbin/Agosto in 2008-09). But it's too early to assume that "they'd probably be more than fine for Worlds."

10. Zemgirl

First of all, I'm pretty sure skaters can get a medical bye for US Nats; Belbin and Agosto did a few years back. Not that it matters, since this is a serious injury and the odds of their being ready for competition in March are slim to none. I don't know if John was in as bad a shape as Alissa Czisny, but I believe that's the same surgery that she had in June, and she's still not competing. Their goal has to be for him to recover so that they can be in good shape for 2013-14.

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont see anyway they would get a bye. I am not saying they shouldnt, but I couldnt see it. I cant recall a case the USFSA gave a bye to someone who wasnt a past World medalist, and most cases a current World medalist. Even though they are clearly the best U.S pair, they still are only a 7th or 8th ranked team in the World at best, and I cant recall that kind of skater(s) getting a bye ever before. Well I could see them being named as an alternate, and then maybe one of the remaining teams being pressured to withdraw, who knows.

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I would favor Castelli & Shnapir for sure.

13. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Holy Cow, shocked to see this announcement! :eek:

Totally flummoxed and saddened. :(

Honestly, I had high hopes for them and C/S at Worlds, now that's all dashed to pieces. Because imho these are the only two American pair teams, *currently*, that are world class. Lol I was even hoping they would obtain some combination of 13 at Worlds (i.e. 5+8 or 6+7). So so sad...

On the plus side, hoping against hope they will be ready for Worlds and be named to the team. However, that's really wishful thinking, unless they're able to compete at 4CC and show that they're ready to compete. But, I don't think so, because despite how dominant they are, they're no Michelle Kwan. Only she could sustain an injury, skip Nationals, and still be named to the team, rightfully so. Those days are long gone. In fact I don't think they even allow such a provision anymore? :confused:

Wow, this is really going to be an interesting Nationals for pairs ~ the field is literally wide open! Truly a rare opportunity for one of the lesser teams to grab a medal, except of course C/S. It will honestly come down to who really wants it? For me, I'm hoping that D/S get their act together and bring back their old consistency on the throw jumps, but am worried because this season they've had all sorts of problems with new elements being added to the entrances of their throws, as well as the BODS being MIA. :(

Then there's Mark Ladwig and his new partner, Lindsay Davis, as well as Tiffany Vise and her partner John Baldwin. Even Tiffany's been having trouble with her sbs jumps, etc., which she used to be so consistent on, hmmm.

It's too bad John Couglin's old partner hasn't had any success with her new partnership because she herself is exquisite.

Finally, this will be a great opportunity for Caydee's little sister and her partner to medal at Senior Nationals their first time out. ;)

On a sad note, I betcha Rockne Brubaker is kicking himself for not having a steady longtime partner yet, one whom will not quit on him when the going gets rough...

14. stjeaskategym

Was that just because of Belbin/Agosto being World medalists or could it be applied to any top US skater? Full recovery from surgery for a torn hip labrum can be as short as two months, so that's why I mentioned Worlds, and used the word "probably". :) Maybe he wouldn't make it back in time, but it would still be nice for him to have a chance.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wow.

Now calling Coughlin, Czisny, and Kwan for the first recruits for a synchro team composed of torn labrum veterans.

16. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Athletes with similar surgeries are usually out 4-6 months! The article does not say much, but their season is likely over.

17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

One last note, how bad is this type of hip injury? :confused:

Because I'm thinking Caydee should team with Rockne asap. She's just barely short enough for him at 5'1" tall.

Don't get me wrong, I think John & Caydee are the perfect pairing, and have said so numerous times in the past, but one has to think long term, the future...

18. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Really?

He'd be fine by Worlds. Hmm... Cziny had the same type of surgery in June 2012 and she's still not competing.

Chances of them being "healthy and ready" with surgery NOW seem slim. Risks of racing him back seem high IMHO

19. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I think the rehab itself requires about two-three months, so IMO they won't be able to be ready for worlds, especially because they are scheduled to happen quite early this season.

20. Sylvia

I believe any top skater or team that misses Nationals due to injury or illness can submit a petition to be considered for World (or Olympic) team selection during Nationals.

Does the length of rehab depend on the type of tear in the labrum? (I am assuming some tears are worse than others.)

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

sad news for them for this season. Don't know who will be champs. Maybe it could be S/K? That would be interesting. C/S is also a possibility. They are a rising pair! Y/R are also out right?

22. Sylvia

23. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Yikes. :( Best wishes to John in his recovery. And I hope C&S can continue their positive trajectory since it looks like it'll be up to them to keep two spots for Sochi - that's a lot of pressure for a first ever Worlds.

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

great opportunity for y/r as well. He has had an injury but she is so good!

25. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I'll be very surprised if John is able to skate at worlds. And it will be Better for his long term health to err on the side of caution and not rush back.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

A premature return could kill their chances for Sochi, and it's not like any other US team will take over their reputation as top US team if they don't compete at this year's championships without skating a blinder at Worlds.

She could take a lot of dance classes between now and when he's ready to return to the ice.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. stjeaskategym

John also doesn't need to show up at a competition with a full array of triple jumps, some of which are harder on the hip than others. Even mentally having to do all the different jumps on a repaired hip might be difficult to overcome quickly. One tough fall on a jump and who knows how it's going to feel. Not that pairs isn't as grueling as singles (in some ways it's more so), but it's still different...There isn't as much of a constant fear of falling on a hip for a male pair guy. Has it been announced what has slowed Czisny's return? For all we know, she may have been completely recovered a while ago, but is having trouble getting back into form jumping-wise. She wasn't a terribly consistent jumper to begin with, and she used to have plenty of hard crashes in competition, never mind practice. I imagine a recovery from a hip problem may be tougher for her than someone who is more comfortable jumping.

As Sylvia mentioned, the severity of an injury can affect the timetable for return, so until we know more information, who knows for sure. But if people can make full recoveries from this in as little as two months, I figure John might have a shot at it considering he's a young, strong male athlete presumably receiving top care. The fact that USFS made no mention of a possible date for return doesn't sound so promising though.

Thanks for the info.

28. Zemgirl

Czisny had her surgery in early June; when this article was published about two months later, she was still off the ice. This is not a minor procedure, and as others have noted, there's no need for John to take any risks and attempt to try to expedite the rehab and recovery times considering the state of the US pairs field - especially with the Olympics in sight. Pushing himself to skate at Worlds and possibly jeopardizing his health in the long-term would be really stupid.

29. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It sounds like D/C are out for the season, then. Very sad!

I think the US team will most likely be C/S and S/K because S/K are nearly 20 pts. ahead of D/S, Z/B, D/L and V/B while only being together since April '12. I really like S/K and having a realistic shot at the worlds team is such a huge opportunity, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get hammered in PCS at Worlds.

30. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:eek: Just saw this new. What horrible news. Hoping John will be able to make a full recovery.

I'd say it's not likely they will be at Worlds, but I guess they could request a bye just in case. The other alternate team will surely be training to compete at 4CC anyway, and then D/C could probably assess whether they would be likely to compete in London by the time 4CC ends.