Joey Russell announces retirement

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Spazactaz, May 31, 2011.

1. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

http://www.skating.nf.ca/?p=3801

Kind of sad that he's leaving... but it's amazing how much he has accomplished! I competed against him at our first nationals way back in the day, hah. So best wishes to him!!

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That's a shame as I've always enjoyed his skating. It's is truly amazing when you think of where his Hometown is, that he reached the achievements in Skating that he did.

Best of luck Newfie Boy (our nickname for him in this house and has nothing but deep affection behind it.) in whatever you decide to do next in your life!! :)

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Best wishes to him. He was a very stylish skater.

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Very nice letter :)

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Great that he got to go to Worlds to finish off his career! And he was also very inspirational to skaters from smaller provinces and regionals. He can be very proud of what he accomplished.

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It really was -nice of him to thank all the volunteers!

With Shawn's retirement announcement a few months earlier, now Joey's and Jeremy Ten out for a good part of the season with a broken bone, the Canadian team will be very different next year. Then again, if this means skaters like Liam Firus have a better chance of competing in Sr internationals, that's not entirely a bad thing.

Since 2 of the skaters who placed in the top 5 at nationals in 2011 retired does that mean the next finishers are now in line to receive Skate Canada funding, or are these things non-transferable?

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm kind of sad about Joey's retirement. It seemed like his career just kind of was taking off for me. Well, taking off in a way.. I know he wasn't thought of as the next world medalist or anything. Btw Shawn hasn't officially announced his retirement to SC yet.
    I'm still holding out hope. I didn't know JTen was going to be out still next season. :(

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:( I wish him the best.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a thoughtful and classy announcement.
    All the best to him, whatever his future choices are.

10. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Joey in his future plans. He mentioned at the AGM skating professionally for a year on a cruise ship and then looking at continuing his education. He also mentioned an interest in choreography which I think he could be very successful with.

11. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Hope he's able to have future successes in whatever endeavors he undertakes. I had a rather positive impression of him after seeing his skating in person at the 2007 Canadians. It was his first senior nationals and he skated quite well. I especially enjoyed seeing him landing triple/triples with the second jump being a 3loop. Very impressive.

12. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

What a beautiful letter. Newfoundland & Labrador should be very proud of their boy. I have always enjoyed his skating and it's nice to hear that he will remain involved with the sport.

13. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

That's a surprise. I thought he was just getting started!
    Good luck to Joey in his future endeavours.

14. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

WHEN did it happen? If I remember correctly, Jeremy Ten had a foot surgery just a few months ago. What a series of bad luck for him. :(

15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

He was on crutches during Nationals but I'm pretty sure he was walking just fine at the BC/YT AGM a few weeks back. I suppose walking doesn't mean he can be skating or even jumping ...

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Did I miss earlier news? Russell is at an all-time high...why quit now??? :confused:

I'm curious about that as well. Anybody know?

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

According to the Canadian National Team Question thread, National team slots seem to be non-transferable?

Best wishes to Joey Russell in his future endeavors! It was great to see him land a clean 3A in his 2011 Worlds SP! :)

18. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

A few years back (2004 or 2005, maybe?), I remember Skate Canada "bumping up" all of the sixth-place finishers because there had been quite a few retirements or splits, across multiple disciplines. I don't remember them doing this since then, though.

And I agree, what a wonderful gesture from Joey. Seems like a classy guy, he'll be missed!

19. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

No no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOO

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

All the best in his new endeavors, but seriously :wuzrobbed

20. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Jeremy tweeted earlier today that his comeback is going to be postponed for awhile. Looks like he was back in the hospital.

21. Laney

Laney Member

Oh nooooooooooooooooo :(:(:(
    No "Beautyful Joey" as we called him, anymore at the Nebelhorn-Trophy! :(

22. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Awww - this makes me so glad that he got to go to World's this year! Congratulations on and thank you for your wonderful skating Joey!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

It was a very sweet statement, and kudos to him for starting with the volunteers.

He skated his way to the podium and participated at Worlds. That is a great way to end a career, and I wish him luck and happiness with whatever he does next.

24. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

What a classy young man.
    I will miss him. :(

25. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

I was saddened to read of his retirement....but am excited for all of his accomplishments over the years. He has definitely represented Newfoundland and Labrador very well throughout his career. I feel like I have watched him grow up over the years since first seeing him skate live as a junior in 2005. It has been a pleasure to cheer him on all these years :)

I was actually wondering if he was going to skate on a cruise ship.

26. *Susan*

*Susan* New Member

A classy thank you from a classy young man. All the best Joey as you aspire to new goals!

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

A heartfelt good-bye. And it is nice to know he is retiring on a high note and has no regrets about his placement at worlds.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That was satisfying to the heart. He celebratred his roots and gave thanks so genuinely.