Joe Wright's remake of Anna Karenina

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Yehudi, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

And that's a shame. He was so pretty in The Talented Mister Ripley.

What roles were James McAvoy and Saoirse Ronan signed for, do you suppose?

3. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I looked it up on IMDB, and there are umpteen different versions. Of the ones I've seen, Garbo is my favorite Anna, Sean Bean my favorite Vronsky and Ralph Richardson my favorite Karenin, though Basil Rathbone comes close. There was a version with Jacqueline Bisset and Christopher Reeve that I must have missed.

4. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I think Ronan is probably up for Kitty. I wonder if James McAvoy will play Levin, although I think the guy from Kickass would be a better Levin and James McAvoy a better Vronsky.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ooooh. I think Ronan is all wrong for Kitty.

6. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

That is one of my favorite books,it's always interesting to see a film made of the books one likes.I think the only one I've seen is the one with Vivien Leigh.

Jude law isn't physically repulsive yet,they'll have to do some work on him I guess.Yes he looks older,but we all age.

I'm going to have to hunt up all the other versions of this now.I'm curious.

7. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

If he loses anymore hair, it shouldn't be that difficult to make his ears look weird.

There was a Masterpiece Theatre version with Kevin McKidd as Vronsky and Helen McRory as Anna which I only saw some of. My Russian professor and I were talking about it and he didn't particularly like it.

When I did NanoWriMo one year, I tried to do an updated version of Anna Karenina with Anna being the wife of a socially conservative politician,Vronsky was the son of a diplomat and a low level state department employee and the Lidia Ivanovna character was a closeted Karl Rove type.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

They have the Masterpiece Classic version on Netflix streaming. I added it and plan on giving it a try.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not sure how many people are gonna watch yet another version of this story. But the cast sounds awesome.

10. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

I have never cared about Jude Law, but James McAvoy... :swoon: I just adore him. I hope they cast him as Vronsky.

I wonder if it will be possible for me to not be dissapointed with this upcoming film. Last year I saw brilliant play of Anna Karenina and I'm still in compleate aw!

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

How many times has this book been put on film? I think IMDB.com says at least ten versions. There was a TV version made not too long ago. I've seen the Garbo and Leigh versions, and prefer the latter.

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Joe Wright and Keira Knightley together seems to create magic. I hope the third time works just as well as the first two!

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I started watching the Masterpiece Classic version and don't think I will watch the 2nd part. I didn't read the book so I can't comment on believability of characters, looks, etc. However, I felt absolutely no chemistry between Anna and her lover. I didn't believe they had fallen for each other and was shocked when suddenly he is with her. Perhaps it was a problem with the script but I think it was the actors.

I know this was a British made film but it really bothered me that this was all taking place in Russia yet everyone had a British accent. I get why they spoke English but couldn't they work with somewhat Russian accents or just tweak the story to have it take place in England?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  14. millipied

millipied New Member

I don't feel like Knightly is the right actress to play Karenina. I would prefer someone slightly older and more mature. In fact, I see only a great diva actress who can carry the part. Someone like Cate Blanchett perhaps.
    My favorite screen Karenina remains to be Tatyana Samoilova of Russian version.

15. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

There's a contest going on with Jane Eyre, obviously.

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I can't quite see McAvoy as Vronsky. I vote for Levin.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: So true.

18. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I don't see Knightly as a strong enough actress to play Karenina, but Joe Wright's directing it so obviously it was going to be Knightly. I agree with millipied that Cate Blanchett would have been great.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, Mia Wasikowski is not winning. She was blah in Alice in Wonderland and sounds like she is more blah as Jane Eyre. Why does she keep getting jobs that she can't seem to properly do?

20. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Cate Blanchett is too old to be Anna Karenina. I don't know if Keira is a right fit but I am sure Blanchett is not.

21. millipied

millipied New Member

I agree that age wise she is 10 years older than character but having seen her on stage in Hedda Gabler I don't see that as a problem. She has incredible skin and face and can pass as 30 year old easily. She has done it before. Besides Vivien Leigh was in her late 30s when she played Anna.
    That's larger than life part and Knightly looks too young for the part and does not have necessary screen presence to carry it.

22. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I can't see Keira as Anna at all.I do think Cate Blanchett is too old for the part,I can't think of anyone to play Anna though.I see McAvoy more as Levin than Vronsky....One actor I could see as somewhat as Vronsky would be Rupert Penry. I liked how he protrayed his character in Persuasion.

23. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Well, I definitely think Keira is strong enough to pull it off. She was excellent in Pride and Prejudice and in Atonement (as well as The Duchess and several other lesser films) and I think she pulled Lara off pretty damned well in the Dr. Zhivago miniseries. She is a bit young, though.

Mia Wasikowska has gotten plenty of very strong reviews (those were literally just the first ones I chose; I haven't actually seen a bad review of her) for her performance in Jane Eyre. I've seen you say in several threads that you've heard her performance is weak, but I don't believe you've actually seen the movie yet, IA. I think that may be a good idea.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, I did see Jane Eyre two weeks ago and thought Mia Wasikowska was boring and meh in the role. She certainly hasn't gotten a good review from me and I've been telling all my movie-going friends that they can skip this.