Jodi Arias trial

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ks777, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Is Jodi Arias still tweeting? I don't have a twitter account so I don't know.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I don't believe jurors have a choice. Unless they have a really good excuse - e.g. a planned vacation where they would lose money by cancellation, or a physical limitation, etc.- they have to serve if they are selected. This was a very complex case; the jurors had to see some horrible/gruesome pictures. I can't fault them for needing a day off in a 5-day week.

The local news showed Travis's siblings testifying how much damage this murder of their beloved brother has done to their psyche. It was a very emotional day in the court. Jodi was crying too.

3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

It's not just the jurors. Friday are often not a court day in long trials so that the judges, lawyers, etc. can get the rest of their work done. And jurors can keep the rest of their lives from spiraling out of control by having a day to do things that have to be done during business hours. (Though that doesn't work if they are sequestered, of course.)

4. Vash01

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Jodi probably made those death threats herself.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Or just simply made them up.

7. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Anyone know why her ex boyfriend isn't going to testify on be half of Jodi anymore? Or her mom?

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Her ex-boyfriend was more than willing to testify and waiting at a hotel just 5 minutes away for the call to come to the courthouse. Nurmi stated he will call no mitigating witnesses once all his motions were denied today. Interesting that he wasn't told to be at the courthouse all ready to go instead of waiting at the hotel.

I think her mother won't testify because she would be subjected to a cross by the Prosecutor.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  9. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

Holy cows...AGAIN??? :argue:
    tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...:yawn:
    This trial may be over by...2015? Maybe? Poor Alexander family...poor jurors. :(

10. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

but it's her daughter.. If it's my daughter, I would do anything to save her life.

11. BaileyCatts

Yep, that's true. It's just my opinion, but I think Jodi won't let her because Juan could cross exam her and be able to play the interview tapes where her mother states Jodi always made up lies about being abused and having this terrible childhood. I do feel bad for her family. Granted its no where near the same level, but she destroyed her own family as well.

12. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I think in this case, that means not testifying.

13. Vash01

It seems Jodi has already made her statement to the jury (asking for life). I was planning to watch it live, but missed it. The judge announced an early recess and will hear closing arguments from the attorneys.

At this point, I don't see what can be gained by giving Jodi a death sentence. She said in her statement that she will try to do good for society while serving the lifetime sentence in prison (literacy program, recycling, helping domestic abuse victims, etc.). While I have no sympathy for her because of the gruesome murder she committed, I think that life in prison may be better than a death sentence for her.

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I thought her remarks were pathetic... but totally in character for this woman.

I also think the death penalty is called for. this woman does not deserve a life... being with people, enjoying her life, making the shirts, giving interviews. If her death gives Travis' family a moment of relief from the horror Arias brought into their lives it is then worth it.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Why did she ask the jury for life when she just did an interview saying death is better than life in prison? I really hope she gets death, this woman is a psychopath and can not be rehabilitated.

16. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

The problem is Jodi never suffered domestic violence... I can't believe she is still bring it up. I am thinking she will get the death penalty. She is still acting like a victim of domestic violence.

17. Vash01

They are showing it live right now. The defense argues that she can contribute to society if her life is spared. I can't watch because I am at work. I just listened to it for a couple of minutes.

I assume they will appeal - all the way to the US Supreme court- if she gets the death penalty. What happens if the Supreme court calls it a mistrial at that point? Does she get away free, or just gets life? Or does she get another trial?

ETA: I do feel sorry for her. What a waste of a lifetime!

The latest from the local newspaper, after her testimony:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ak-on-own-behalf-as-jury-considers-death.html

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I doubt that the Supreme Court would hear the case, even if the defense appeals. Of course, there could be a Constitutional issue that I don't know about. From what I understand, if the defense successfully argues that there is a mistrial, then the Court would remand it back to the trial court to do it again, this time without whatever it was that made it a mistrial and thus invalid. However, I could be wrong about that. Anyway, a mistrial does not mean she'll get away free or get life automatically. The first deals with matter of facts, where appellate courts very rarely go against a jury's verdict, and the other deals with sentencing (which the Court most recently has gotten involved in regarding minors and mandatory sentences of life without parole for both non-homicidal and homicidal crimes and the 8th Amendment's "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" clause).

Anyway, back on the point of rehabilitation. Wouldn't a life sentence without possibility of parole already mean the State and jury already acknowledge she cannot be rehabilitated into society and therefore must stay incarcerated for the rest of her life? As for retribution, I guess that would be a good justification for the death penalty since Jodi Arias is culpable (according to the jury and popular opinion) and is conscious and therefore understands what her actions were and what the ramifications of them are as would any reasonable adult.

19. BaileyCatts

We will probably find out tomorrow when all the video from her whirlwind media blitz tour starts getting released. How in the hell is that even allowed to happen?! Although I hope this time the reporters who get those interviews start nailing her on all her contradictions and lies and let's see how she responds. That last reporter blew so many chances to blow her out of the water with documented proof of her lies and he just let her skate away with telling more lies.

I also agree with you.

20. AxelAnnie

I simply cannot believe that a convicted murderer can go on TV. It makes no sense to me. And Travis' poor family. Jodi just keeps on giving............and spewing vile lies. It is just wrong.

And, this is so petty..........was Jennifer Wilmont really wearing lavender nail polish? Such a light-hearted, free and easy color for such a momentous day (I told you it was petty).

I honestly do not know how Travis' family can keep their composure day after day after day.

21. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

Attention Estrella Inmates! Please assemble in the theater for our classic feature film,
    "I Want to Live!" starring Jodi Arias...oh...sorry...meant Susan Hayward. :slinkaway

22. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Jodi is blaming everyone for getting convicted, her lawyers, media, etc. also she is still acting like she was a victim of domestic violence. She is so fukced up. She really deserves the dealth penalty, even though I am against it.

23. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I have a question - I've been catching this off and on on the 24/7 HLN coverage. The jury is supposed to decide between life in prison and death. The reporters keep talking about parole in 20 years. Why isn't there a choice of life without parole ever ever ever? I THINK I believe in the death penalty under extreme circumstances. But wouldn't it be better for her to have to suffer in prison for the rest of her miserable life? Why should she get to escape what she did by death. She doesn't have to be any more productive in prison than she has been before she killed her boyfriend - just locked up forever. Let the other inmates "deal" with her. I would not want to be one of the jurors who put her away if she ever got paroled!!!

24. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Well, if the jury give her life in prison, then the judge will decide whether she gets life in prison without parole or life in prison with parol after 25yrs. If she gets life in prison, she will have a life. She will be able to hang out with inmates and participate in many things in jail. If she gets the dealth penalty, she will be isolated from other inmates. She will be alone. I think that's a better punishment for her. she thrives lying to people and manipulating. She loves getting attention as you can see by the interviews she is giving to the media. I want her to be all alone so she has a plenty time to think about what she has done.

25. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

no news yet.

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

At this point I doubt she will get the death penalty. It is extremely rare for a woman to get the ultimate penalty, especially for killing a partner.

27. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

28. AxelAnnie

I just hope the jury doesn't hang. That would be the worst possible outcome. And could someone please keep this pathetic creature away from the Media.

29. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

30. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

wow her story has changed again... I wonder if she is related to Jodi Arias?