1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jodi Arias trial

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ks777, Feb 14, 2013.

1. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that - it's awful. I do think though that perhaps your negative experience has affected the way you view such trials. The burden of proof in a murder case is extremely high, and the trial should go on as long as there is evidence to be heard on both sides, regardless of what you think of the evidence. Do you want a killer to walk free on appeal because of a procedural error?

Also, look at the Innocence Project. Innocent people are put away all the time. I know you think Jodi is guilty, and maybe she is. Maybe she killed him but she's so insane and perverted she doesn't grasp the seriousness of it. That matters, too. However, until all that evidence is heard and she's convicted, she's innocent and she has the right to a fair trial. Would you rather have a guilty till proven innocent system like Italy, which locked away Amanda Knox for 4 years without evidence?

2. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching the final witness(defense/state)? Today's trial started around 9am(PST) and it's after 10pm here and it's still going!! People in the courtroom look exausted...

3. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Wow it's 10:30 and they are still bringing in new witness..

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

anyone else watching closing arguments?

5. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

How did I kill thee? Let me count the ways.
    29 stabs...
    1 throat slash...
    1 head shot...
    total reputation destruction...

Go, Juan, go!

6. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I am going to miss Juan Martinez when this trial is over..

7. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

They can't profit from their crimes...........period............even to pay their lawyers. But, they have to be convicted first. And, Arias has not yet been convicted.

8. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am watching. I love Juan Martinez! He is amazing.

9. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Every time I watch this trial, Dido's here with me song playing in my head...

10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

The problem with your statement on the jurors being stupid - is not necessarily true. The conviction has to be without a reasonable doubt. Reasonable doubt is what acquitted OJ - the glove did not fit at the time of trial in the courtroom. It might have fit when the crime was done. It might have been him (frankly I think it was him) but if I was on that jury, I would have had to find the same as that jury did. With the Casey Anthony trial again the jury had a reasonable doubt. In part we - the viewing public - couldn't get why they didn't convict. We had access to information that was not allow to be present in court. I have not been listening to every word on HLN or everyday, but the flat affect that Jodi displays, the endless questioning, the jurors have a major task. To careful consider what has been presented to them, not to the viewing public with editorials by the reporters.

I've never sat on a jury that was a murder trial - but my dad did. He said it was one of the hardest things that he did. While the jury that he sat on found there was evidence of a murder, there was evidence of mental illnesses. It is likely that this jury will have some of the same issues - insanity or calculated killing.

To call a jury stupid because you think you know what they should decide is disrespectful of the entire process.

Again the evidence as you see it portrayed in the media and TV court. It is one of the hardest things to do - to set aside your preconceived opinion and hear what is presented in court. no more, no less. A small minor trial that I served on - the judge told us that we were not to drive to the scene or the route that the defendant said he used the night of the robbery. Which was kind of hard since I drove that route every single day. I had to put aside what was my knowledge of the area and see it from what was present in court.
    The prosecution team must be the one that establishes the without a reasonable doubt accusation. The defense to establish a reasonable doubt. Victims have rights - if your case was handle incorrectly, I am sorry.

This goes back to the "I heard" stuff that is the media wanting the scoop or one upmanship mentality. She may or may not have a lesbian lover. It may or may not be a plan to write a book. one could assume the later, since book/movie deals often occur with this type of trial.

Our forefathers were indeed wise - setting standards to be carried forth. Trial by a jury of your peers, reasonable doubts, etc. Lynching mobs are not acceptable. If you want to know how difficult it is to serve on a murder trial jury, ask PrincessLeppard, IIRC she was an alternate but had to sit through the trial listening to the details.

11. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

she is already working on the book, according to Nancy Grace. She has no reasons to lie.

12. numbers123

Nancy Grace? has no reason to lie? How about ratings? Nancy gets a win with that one.

13. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

She can't just make up things and announce it on tv. She ain't no Jodi Arias.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. numbers123

you might want to read the wiki article
    bolding mine
    and...
    those are just some highlights.
    She might not be a Jodi Arias, but she can certainly make things up.

15. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

none of the statements you posted above proved Nancy Grace was a lier. She just wasn't good at her job as a prosecutor.

16. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Well, no, the court ruled Grace almost certainly presented testimony she knew to be false. That would fall under the category of lying I would think.

17. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

well I don't really like Nancy Grace either so I am done defending her. anyways, I can't wait for defense's closing arguments tomorrow.

18. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

:rofl: So, what exactly could to stop her? People make things up and announce them on tv all the time.

19. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Ok, now the jury is deliberating. I feel bad for Jodi.. even though I think she is guity of first degree. I just don't like the death penalty.

20. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

omg...Nurmi...:yawn:...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wonder how long deliberations take. The longer it takes the better for her, I assume?

22. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I think so. I am thinking it's gonna take a day or two.

23. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I don't feel sorry for her.. but I don't believe anybody 'deserves' a death penalty.. Wow all those quasi news channels will have to find something else to report on soon :lol:

24. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I think they are counting on George Zimmerman trial.

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I think they will just go back to endless non stop coverage of golf.

27. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I think the verdict will come today.

28. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, the right she should have taken advantage of was the right not to testify. If and when she's convicted she should consider new counsel for the appeal because they shouldn't have let her within a hundred miles of the stand--she didn't come across as truthful or sympathetic. Combined with a "self-defense" killing involving shooting, stabbing, and slitting the throat to the bone (something that isn't easy to do when the person is TRYING) that did a lot to remove reasonable doubt. Yes, she could just be calm now, AND have been in a psychotic fugue that prompted her to kill him three different ways despite remembering plenty of details of his alleged abuse, and every witness who says her ex was not a violent, dangerous person including an ex-girlfriend could all be lying. But they're looking for REASONABLE doubt, not any little doubt at all.

29. talulabell

talulabell New Member

HLN is reporting a verdict was reached. It will be read today at 4:30 ET.

30. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Just saw the headline on azcentral.com

The verdict will be read at 1:30pm local time (PST)