Jodi Arias trial

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ks777, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I like Janeen DeMarte, prosecutor's witness clinical psychologist. So are we going to see more witness this week?

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

This trial is still not over??? :eek:

3. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Based on what I gathered from Dateline, they were pretty hot and heavy for a while, and then he up and decided that she wasn't good enough for him to date publicly, but had no problem carrying on an affair with her while he dated women that he deemed more publicly acceptable. I'm not saying that she should've killed him, but he did come off as a douche and she should've just walked away and considered herself better off. Instead, she continued to let him use her. It takes two to tango, and I think in this case, douche met up with crazy lady and things could only end badly.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Not even close. At least another week of the prosecution's rebutal, then I'm guessing at least 2 weeks for closing arguments before the Jury even gets to deliberate. I'll be shocked if its over by end April.

At this point, I just hope its over by the end of May because I have to move to my new office space in June and I'll lose my access to listen all day since I won't be sitting by the break room TV anymore. After all this time of having to listen to it whether I wanted to or not, I don't want to miss out on the final moments.

5. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

He was dating her publicly. She met all of his close friends. I don't see anything wrong with dating other women and seeing Jodi at the same time since he was NOT married. I don't know if you been following this case enough to judge him that way. Not like he was forcing her to have sex with him. It was mutual. Besides, it was Jodi who kept bugging Travis after they broke up. He really wanted to go on with his life but she wouldn't let him.

6. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

Is it just me, or does HLN operate under the guise of "Guilty Until Proven Otherwise"? I assume that journalists are supposed to maintain a modicum of impartiality and independence, even if their beat is the legal system. But it seems like everyone on HLN (from Nancy Grace to Jane Velez-Mitchell to Dr. Drew to whoever does the weekend news) has a bizarre case of blood-lust. They practically want whoever is on trial to be found guilty and to be executed yesterday. They practically get sexual desire from seeing the defendant get torn to shreds. Don't get me wrong; Jodi Arias is creepy as all get out and I think that she is guilty, but the way HLN has been carrying on these past few years, you'd think that they would not want to see a fair trial. They did the same thing with Casey Anthony. If they had the money, they'd fly to South Africa and do the same thing when Oscar Pistorius goes on trial. (Don't think that HLN isn't chomping at the bit for that.) It's times like this that make me miss what HLN used to be: 30-minute news at the top and bottom of every hour 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  7. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Like I said, I gathered my info from Dateline. And like you said, it was mutual. She also did not force him to have sex with her after he "wanted to go on with his life". It was a bad situation and unfortunately, she was too crazy to walk away from him.

8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

So the trial is almost over. Closing arguments set for next week!

9. BaileyCatts

^^ Finally! I'm thinking the Judge finally put her foot down and told them that's it, this trial is ending next week! This trial should have been over weeks ago. I hope that the Judge has told the lawyers they will be given equal allotted time slots to do closing arguments because I could totally see the Defense taking the entire two days just to be a--h---s!

I'm just hoping the Jury are not idiots and come back with a Guilty on First Degree. I'm disgusted at the way Jodi has been able to sit up on that stand and just tell lie after lie after lie after lie with no evidence to support most of what she said. I personally think the May 26 text message where Travis went on a rant to her telling her how evil she is was instigated by Jodi telling Travis she had that sex tape and she was blackmailing him with it and threatened to send it to all his friends. I just hope the Jury sees thru all those lies and looks at the scientific facts that more than beyond a reasonable doubt prove her story of him attacking her is total BS. She totally premeditated this killing and I would have no problem giving her the Death Penalty if I was on the Jury.

10. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Yes, I'm totally sure the judge told the lawyers it was more important to end the trial and stop boring us than for justice to be served. :rolleyes:

11. BaileyCatts

Justice has been MORE than served in this trial that has been going on since January 2 (and the fact that she killed him in 2008, and has used every delay possible to try to get out of never having this trial occur, including falsifying evidence), to allow her to testify for 18 DAYS (some trials don't even last this long!) and for her to just continually change her story (even from stand her stories changed!) to fit the other evidence that is presented. She has MORE than had her day in court. At this point, they are just throwing out any piece of garbage they can to see what they can make stick, to wear out the Jurors (3 of which have already been lost but thankfully they started out with 6 alternates), and do anything they can to get a hung jury and let the State of Arizona pay for this charade all over again. Now the Defense wants to do a sur-rebuttal case, to stage their own rebuttal against the Prosecutions rebuttal?! When is it supposed to end! She's guilty. SHE ADMITTED SHE KILLED HIM! She has more than gotten her Justice serviced. And justice won't truly be served until this sociopath is locked away for the rest of her life, which will still end up being the case if she justly gets convicted with the Death Penalty as she sits on Death Row for the next 30 or so years appealing. If the Jurors are stupid enough to believe anything the Defense presented and let this psycho out on 2nd Degree (which is only 22 years max, 4.5 of which she gets credit for being in jail already) she's out when she's in her 40's. And God help the man who ever dares to cross her because I have every belief she would kill again.

12. MacMadame

Yes, I know you think she's guilty and they should throw away the key. That doesn't change the fact that there are procedure to follow and precedent to follow and that she gets her day in court no matter how guilty you think she is. She's entitled to the best defense possible, no matter how long it takes. We all are.

Not to mention, this hasn't been a particularly long trial in the scheme of things. Murder trials take a while. If how long it's taking upsets you that much, you could stop watching. ;)

13. BaileyCatts

She has more than gotten her "best defense possible", paid for by the citizens of Arizona with not simply a Public Defender, but with two private practice lawyers, actually more than that since they are not the original lawyers. She can't pay, why doesn't she have Public Defenders like I would have to use if I could not pay if I were charged with a crime? This trial will be well into month 5 before its over (not including 4+ years of pre-trial). She has more than had her fair trial.

14. MacMadame

Only 5 months? That's nothing for a murder trial. The way you were going on, I thought we were approaching a year. :lol:

15. BaileyCatts

No, actually its been about 57-59 months. The murder took place in June 2008. Even the entire OJ trial only took about 17 months from murder (June 1994) to acquittal (October 1995), and they didn't even have that much evidence against him as there is in this case, and they certainly didn't have a confession.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wonder if she does have to pay for those other lawyers? Maybe not in the traditional sense but they may have been willing to take on the case so long as she signed stuff allowing them to write a tell-all book after or get in on any money she might make from selling movie rights, book rights, etc. It would be a way for them to potentially make a ton of money on the back end of this, no matter how it goes down.

17. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Jodi Arias is said to be working on a tell-all book in jail. I also heard Jodi has a lover(female) in jail.

18. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

ITA with you.

19. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  20. MacMadame

You can't count from the day of the murder. The trial is the trial and only the length of the trial counts. Yes, some take a shorter time but some take longer. Her trial isn't remotely long enough to be questionable and you want to be sure every i is dotted and t is crossed so there is no grounds for appeal. It's what makes our country great -- that we don't just cart people off to jail because the public has decided they are horrible based on what they see on tv.

21. BaileyCatts

It disgusts me that murders, rapists, thieves, child molesters and criminals are afforded more rights in this country than the VICTIMS. It's the evidence that more than proves guilt in this case. Carting her off to jail because of public outcry has nothing to do with it.

22. BaileyCatts

She has also been making money while she has been in jail. She is an artist and has been making and selling drawings and artwork from jail. Since these drawings have nothing to do with the actual crime, she can continue to profit from doing this since Son of Sam laws do not apply.

23. BaileyCatts

Yet she will still be able to file appeals for years to come.

24. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

It isn't just the Sun of Sam laws. The surviving families have every right to bring a civil action against her, and get damages (this is what was done after the OJ criminal trial). In addition, most states have mandatory restitution orders, court fees, etc.

25. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Texas most likely executed an innocent man recently. The crime scene investigator totally screwed up and called the fire deliberate, when other experts have gone in and said it was faulty wiring.

This is why we have due process and appeals.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Well until she is convicted, Jodi isn't a murderer, and she has rights even if/when she is convicted. Do you know how many innocent people are in jail? They're victims too. You know how many innocent people have been executed? Victims.

The process is there for a reason. The trial should take however long it takes, to make sure that the person you're putting away deserves the punishment. The system is there to protect victims and innocent people alike, to make sure innocent people aren't put away while victims are left in danger.

Just because you think it's taken enough time, doesn't mean it has. It still shocks me that in a wealthy country like the US with abundant education, people are still so ignorant of how the justice system works :rolleyes:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  27. BaileyCatts

I've seen the justice system work first hand. I AM a victim of a violent crime. I experienced being treated as the villain while the actual criminal was treated as a saint. I experienced the process trample all over my rights as the true victim. I'm hardly ignorant of how the justice system works.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, one cannot profit from one's own crime.

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think they can make money to pay their lawyers and such, can't they? There are so many loopholes. She may also be able to put any money in a trust and leave it to someone else. She probably just can't ever touch any of it herself.

30. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I heard she is going to publish the book once she is found not guilty and use the money to live with her new lesbian lover.