Jodi Arias trial

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ks777, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Anyone else following this trial?

2. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

3. znachki

znachki Active Member

I keep seeing headlines but I have no idea what it's about. I just sort of figured it is what'ser name's next soapbox (the woman "reporter" who was all over the Anthony case)

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Jodi killed her boyfriend(sort of, she was his dirty little secret), shot him in the head, stabbed him like 27 times and cut his throat from ear to ear.

5. znachki

znachki Active Member

Why do I feel a sudden need to sing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bekPlGy0ZoY

6. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

7. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

8. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I frequently seek out thorough, unbiased information on murders from bestgore.com.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

10. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I been following this for months now.

11. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Me too. I was too :shuffle: to say before since no one replied to the thread. :eek: I get a front row viewing all day every day because our office is being remodeled at work and they got people doubled up on floors. I got stuck in a crappy spot across from the break room, and I've got line of sight to the TV and its on HLN all day and I can't help but hear it since I'm like r-i-g-h-t t-h-e-r-e. That last expert witness dude was a total train wreck. I hope he's got a lot of money saved up because his career is pretty much over. He came across as incompetent, unprepared for trial nor understanding why he was there, unprofessional, arrogant and frankly just plain stupid sometimes.

And while I had a great deal of respect for this lady on the stand now in the beginning, she's starting to annoy the hell out of me. I'm on vaca this week so I get to watch at home and today it dawned on me why something was starting to bug me about this lady ... bottom line, she's a man hater. If all the crap she has talked about applied to every other man in America, there would be no men in America cause they'd all be dead. And she's basing all her opinions about a man she never met on interviews she had with ... Jodi. On information provided to her by ... Jodi. On selective chosen emails provided to her by ... Jodi. So whatever Jodi told her is the truth? Yeah, right. I don't believe a damn word out of her mouth other than "I killed him". All the rest of her stories are just smoke and mirrors. But while I think she is damn guilty of premeditated murder, and the entire story about Travis "attacking her" is a total BS lie, I won't be surprised if the jury doesn't come back with a guilty on 1st Degree, because of the Death Penalty charge. I sometimes think living 50+ years in prison with no chance at parole would be a worse punishment, but also think that some crimes are so violent they deserve the Death Penalty, and I would have no problem voting guilty on premeditated 1st degree on her. But I won't be surprised if they come back guilty of only 2nd degree. I'll be shocked if they come back guilty on manslaughter. I will have lost all faith in the human race if they come back not guilty!

I do feel bad for that juror who probably said some innocent little flippant statement that meant nothing, since it seems like she was the most invested and attentive person on the jury. And since they haven't selected the 12 yet, there's a chance she wouldn't have been selected anyway. I hope they open those documents from the ruling today after the case is over so we know what really happened, because I would bet money on something as silly as "oh I saw Juan outside the building". Not that I know, but I'm betting its something that stupid.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  12. MacMadame

Has it? I only read about it here. I got the impression that it was of great interest to a small group but not of wide interest to a bigger group.

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My husband has told me it has been on the TV in his breakroom constantly for like months. He's was asking me if this woman was famous.

I don't ever see daytime TV, so I hadn't heard anything about it.

15. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I am curious if any of the bleeding hearts here think Jodi is innocent (i. e. or that her story is true)?

16. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am addicted...ashamed to say.

BaileyCats.. totally agreed with you about both experts. LeViolet....you hit that nail on the head. I drove up the 5 last week -LA to SF - and listened to that first day. She seemed knowledgeable and pleasant.....but easy day she wore a little less well. And the woman defense attorney.......could she stop with the "um....."?

17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I live in the Phoenix metro area but I had never heard of Jodi Arias or her (now dead) boyfriend. I had no interest in watching, but I did watch parts of the Dateline show. While I am trying to maintain 'Innocent until proven guilty' I am having a tough time sympathizing with this woman. I happened to catch some gory pictures on the TV and had to change the channel immediately because it was too much. IIRC she stabbed him something like 28 times? I did watch a few opinions of experts and nobody is saying she is innocent- not even the defense lawyers. I hope that in the end justice will be served.

18. BaileyCatts

^ Stabbed him 29 times (9 of them in the back). Slashed his throat from ear to ear some six inches deep, nearly decapitating him. And then shot him in the head. She is (finally, after multiple stories claiming innocence) saying she did do it, so she's not claiming she is innocent, but that it was "self defense".

19. MacMadame

I think they are pushing it on certain channels, but it hasn't seemed to catch on. Probably because the whole thing is so gruesome. And there are aspects of the case that are classic "abused woman" including the overkill, but at the same time Arias isn't a particularly sympathetic figure. So she hasn't got a lot of people rallying to her side. Plus, even if she was abused, no one really wants her out on the streets so pretty much no matter how the sentence goes down, hardly anyone is going to complain.

On top of that, her dead boyfriend isn't very sympathetic and, as far as I can tell, hardly anyone seems particularly upset that he's dead. So you haven't got a lot of people out for her blood.

There doesn't seem to be any big miscarriage of justice that people can get all worked up about either.

20. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I don't know all the details, but wasn't it his friends that found his body. She has admitted to killing him (she has changed her story a few times), but says it was self defense and then went to a friends house and had sex with him. Can you spell personality disorder?

21. MacMadame

Yes, it's spelled b-a-t-s-h-i-t c-r-a-z-y. :lol:

But, as far as I can tell, they both are/were. And repellent people. Which is why I think the story hasn't really "grabbed the American public" the way some other stories have.

22. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

My memory on this is not very good. I think on Dateline it was reported that his friends tried to call him for days but there was no response so they went to his house and found his body. Don't take my word for it though; my memory on this is hazy. I didn't hear about Jodi having sex with another friend after killing Alexander. If that is true, she is truly sick.

23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It was on CNN multiple times, and Dateline did an article on it. I see those things as 'national'

24. MacMadame

Well, when they have something on the cover of People.... like Casey Anthony, Jon Bennet and Amanda Knox, I'll consider it a story that has captured the imagination of the public. Until then...

25. BaileyCatts

Yes, that's pretty much correct. He was supposed to be going on a trip to Cancun (I think leaving the next day after Jodi killed him), so no one thought it odd he was out of touch for a few days, but when several days went by with absolutely no word at all, they went looking for him at his house.

In the hours after Jodi killed him, she then drove to Utah to another man's home (that was part of her original story, that she was driving to Utah to see this man and was never in Arizona). This man testified about that visit and said she seemed fine, nothing out of the ordinary regarding her demeanor, they did fool around, but if I remember right I think he testified they did not sleep together. But he was on the stand in January, I'm hazy on that by this point. But still ... kill a guy and a few hours later making out with another guy, who sensed absolutely nothing wrong with her and she was her usual self as he knew her?! That is beyond even batshit crazy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  26. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I've been following this on and off. I think HLN is running the court coverage live all day, then their PM shows are focused on it (Nancy "dont hold back" Grace, Dr Drew...). I was very interested during the days where the jury was allowed to submit questions directly to her (thru the judge and lawyers). I found that fascinating! I think AZ is one of the only states that allows questions from the jury. I personally think she's a full blown narcissist who you cant believe a word that comes out of her mouth, who gives a bad name to those who truley were abused.

The way I understand it, they had an on-again-off-again relationship, he ended it, he made plans to go away with someone else, she lost her mind and stabbed/slashed/shot him. Her first claim was she was no where near the state, going to see the man in Utah. Then when she couldnt talk her way out of the bloody handprint at the scene (as well as the photos), she claimed there were some kind of ninja assassins there, who killed Travis, and while they discussed whether she should be killed as well, she ran out... and to the boyfriend in Utah and never said a word or called anyone. Um, yeah. when that didnt play out, she switched to the self defense/he was mean defense.

I havent followed it in a while (havent seen much since she was on the stand); what happened today (or yesterday)? A juror got kicked off?

I'm curious about those who've said things towards the negative about him. About him not being likeable, or him being "repellent". Do we know anything about him besides the... stuff... Jody is saying?

27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

so is this the case where they dismissed a juror and now she is sitting in the court watching? isnt that irregular, for lack of a better word

28. BaileyCatts

^ Yes. She was dismissed, but we don't know the reasons as the order was sealed. It has been speculated in the media that she made some comments to other jurors about the case regarding the way she was leaning (likely pro-prosecution, since the defense was all smiley when she was kicked off), and they are not supposed to be talking about the case with each other a-t a-l-l when they are together until they start deliberating. From media reports, she was the most attentive, invested juror, taking very detailed notes and submitting the most questions to the jury. I've never been on a jury, but I know I would find that incredibly difficult with all the time they are sitting around in the jury room, lunches, breaks, etc., not to make even on snarky little comment or eye roll. She released a statement saying she will not talk to the press or make any statements regarding why she was released until after the trial is over.

Yes, she was in the gallery today. Trials are open to the public, and well ... she's now "the public". So there is really no reason why she can't be there. After giving up 4 months of my life to that damn trial, and getting kicked off, and being as attentive and invested as she seemed to be, and apparently was very upset when she got kicked off, I think I would be there to continue to monitor the trial the way I had been, and see if my opinion would change as more of the trial went on. But then again, she could watch on TV too, so on the other hand, yes it is a little irregular.

29. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Anybody watching this right now? This is utterly amazing. The LaViolette is copping an attitude with the prosecutor, and trying to one-up him by asking HIM questions like "Are you angry with me?" She is going to be excoriated.

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

If this crazy din bat gets off, then there is no justice in this world.