Joannie Rochette retiring?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kylet3, Jan 26, 2013.

1. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

While I'm sad we won't get to see her compete again, I'm glad she'll continue to skate in SOI and be a wonderful role model for young people. Good luck, Joannie!

3. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

maybe now that katelyn is skating well she feels like she CAN retire? or that skate canada will "let" her ;)
    i still miss her- the last few years of her career were so exciting! and her programs were different and fun to watch- but as pp said- glad she is still around skating so we can enjoy her without competition!

4. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

So many factors in her decision, which include desire, coaching, career opportunities, Skate Canada's needs and competition.
    I would expect there is some desire since she does like to compete to a degree and she'd love to have a more fun Olympics experience, but I think everything else works against her. There's a big issue in that if Kaetlyn qualifies only one for Sochi, Joannie may come back to competition and not even make it out of Canada.

I think following nationals, Skate Canada has finally breathed a deep sigh over the ladies program although we're not out of the woods quite yet. The complexion of skating here has changed a lot....and quickly.

I have a sneaking feeling she plans to retire but will wait and see what happens in London to formalize.

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Not just Kaitlyn, but the other girls too. For the first time in a very, very, very long time I finally have hope in our Ladies from what I saw from Cdns. I said to Mom after the Ladies FS a week ago tonight that if Joannie was able to see it, it would help make it easier to decide to come back next Season or not.

I mean...We've got more than one female skater w/a Triple/Triple? And one w/a Triple Lutz/Triple Toe?

:D :D :D

I had a feeling something like this was coming last night after a Tweet Joannie sent out last night that was in French, but I was able to puzzle out it was about some sort of an announcement of what she was going to do regarding a comeback. Good luck Joannie in all you do and see you in the Spring out there on the ice at the ACC!! :)

6. BBI*CEO

BBI*CEO New Member

Shae-Lynn interviewed her just around Christmas time...check out the interview on her new website www.shaelynnbourne.com

7. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

8. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I might be alone in this, but I've never thought Rochette would come back.
    For awhile I wanted her to, but Canadian ladies skating is looking up and I'm excited about the future (finally!).

9. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I have been wondering why Joannie tweeted these, but thanks to this thread now I know why.

https://twitter.com/JoannieRochette/statuses/295026374228459520
    https://twitter.com/JoannieRochette/statuses/295026388111613953

By Google Translation:
    "To be clear, I do not take my retirement from skating. I make a decision to Sochi at the end of the season
    but anyway, I still skating and some competitions for several more years"

10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Thanks, midori...I guess we'll just have to wait and see what she says at the end of the season...

11. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Man, imagine if we could have both Rochette and Osmond battling it out at Canadian Nationals...how exciting would that be?! I guess that dream is not likely to come true anymore.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's already retired. :p

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

From the interview, I have the feeling that she's enjoying her life with shows and Pro competitions. So, I don't think she'll be in Socchi. We'll see.

14. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Joannie could get two GP events as a returning World/Olympic medalwinner, but I can't see Joannie doing the GP with only 6-7 months preparation. At 28, it would be hard to return to heavy training after years of easier exhibition programs. At 25, Sasha Cohen tried to do that in 2009-2010, and she injured herself.

So Joannie would be going to Sochi after having been away from regular ISU competition for four years (Japan Open is ISU-sanctioned, but it is invitational and doesn't award ISU points). I don't think she can expect the judges to give her a PCS advantage over the other top ladies.

That being said, I don't think Joannie will return.

15. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I think she might decide to if Osmond gets 2 spots for Canada but not otherwise. :eek:

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Honestly, Rochette is as likely to return to competition as Michelle Kwan at this point. :p

17. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

You are not alone in this. I've never expected her to compete again either! While she avoided shutting the door, it seemed that she had moved on and was enjoying her show performances, as well as off-ice activities related to promoting healthy living. Good for her! She had no obligation to stay on, if she felt the time was right for new goals.

Canadian ladies skating is definitely looking up recently with a group of talented young skaters. It will be very interesting to follow them over the next few years.

18. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Really? I wanted her to come back because I actually loved her skating...

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Oh ! And Michelle will say if she'll be back for Socchi at the end of this season ? :eek:
    :p

20. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

21. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

That seems unfair. Can a skater not have a fan page even if they aren't competitive any longer? Yes, the populace there has been a bit high-strung in the past, but there's nothing wrong with Michelle's fans having a website or any other skater for that matter.

22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

LOL. You are right, and all our favorite skaters like Michelle deserve fan boards. I'm glad you admit that they have been a bit high strung. :lol:

23. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

I don't believe Joannie will come back to competition. As many can relate, the moment her Mom died everything changed. I think Joannie's outlook toward skating changed as well and skating for the pure enjoyment of it took higher importance to her than competition.

24. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

This.