Joannie Rochette News

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by rhymer, May 6, 2013.

1. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Exactly!

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Totally! Maybe only 1988 comes close?

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Interesting! I can't wait to check that out. I also enjoyed this bit:

It sounds like she has a really incredibly, full life right now. Between that and the way she talks about competitive skating in past tense, I think it's highly unlikely she'll return.

5. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I miss Joannie's presence in competitions. IMO her artistry was/is underappreciated. :( I love her so much as a pro but I wish she would come back for one last time. Her Aranjuez LP is one of my favourite programs by a lady ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uTvFa396g

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Joannie Rochette will have different role at Sochi Olympics
    By Nick Zaccardi
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/16/joannie-rochette-figure-skating-canada-sochi-cbc/

7. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

That officially confirms what we've all known for a while now. Joannie has the world and Olympic medal and was the story of the Vancouver Games. She really did go out on top despite such a heartbreaking tragedy. Joannie really is one of the most selfless, kindest people you will ever meet and I wish her nothing but success in all of her future endeavours. I also hope that English CBC is smart enough to bring her on as well.

8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It's sort of too bad, if she competed in the team competition, they would probably win gold. But I'm happy she will be there.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

AFP article after Japan Open: Rochette Not Ready for Comeback
    Japan Open FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U23kCH0Ya5s

Photos via Getty Images: http://www3.daylife.com/search/photos/1/grid?q=Joannie Rochette 2013 Japan Open Saitama

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  10. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

Interesting. Her words sound dubious but, I gather she didn't entirely rule out the possibility of a comeback. I don't think she would be a contender for ladies podium, despite all the buzz after Japan Open. She would need a lot of work, in tweaking her program to meet CoP requirements for transitions, amended spin levels, etc. That would require substantially more stamina too.

She could win gold in team event, if she return. But I think it's unlikely she could match or top her finish at Vancouver in singles. Still, it's pretty amazing she is considered by many as a candidate for the ladies podium, after 3-plus years away from competition.

11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Joannie sounds like she is in a good place. She is keeping her toe in to challenge herself, but it sounds like she has moved on. Her dress is absolutely lovely!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

wow, that was so beautiful!And solid jump content! She looks better than ever on ice, so elegant and expressive, and her lines are longer and more refined. I believe if she kept skating after Vancouver she had a pretty good shot at World title(s). She could take the ones in 2011 and 2012. Best jumping techniques among the ladies, big and strong and good edges. Her one weakness was nerve. If she does as well as this in the team event in the Olympics, Canada would be better off than with KO in my opinion.

13. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

She's still by far the best Canadian lady on the scene today. Reeling off 6 triples with ease, if she had her heart set on it - she could totally make a run for the podium in both the singles event and the team event. I wish she was coming back for the team event because I'd feel much more confident at Canada's chances then. Joannie rocks!

14. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Joannie definitely rocks! She is one strong lady that I totally admire. I'm so proud of her accomplishments and I've been a fan of hers from the beginning. She still definitely has it. Her FS at the Japan Open was amazing. She could easily take on the competitors of today. Love ya, Joannie! <3

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Part of me wishes she would return to the Olympics and do it only for herself and with no pressure. Don't worry about a medal, don't worry about jump content, just go to enjoy an Olympic experience that was clearly not at all as she had planned in Vancouver. I would think the pressure from media and fans would be far less in another country compared to what she experienced leading up to a home Olympics as a medal contender. At the same time, I completely understand why she doesn't want to go there again. The memories of her Olympics are not very good, even with the medal. Who can blame her for wanting to move on. I just think there is a way for her to find the best of both Worlds by competing for herself and not thinking about any results. She could probably continue training as she did for the JO and easily get the 2nd spot, if not win Nationals.