Joannie Rochette News

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by rhymer, May 6, 2013.

1. rhymer

rhymer New Member

I know it's only May but I was wondering if there has been any update on her decision to continue or retire for next season? I'd love to see her come back but only if she really wants to.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Winnipeg Free Press article (April 30): http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...-their-sights-on-sochi-in-2014-205352081.html

3. puglover

puglover Active Member

Wow - just saw her in Calgary and she looks terrific. Her performance skills have improved so much. If she does come back and still has her other jumps she could really be a contender.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

COME BACK, JOANNIE!!! Canada needs you and Kaetlyn got a spot JUST for you!!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes, please!

6. os168

os168 Active Member

Wow if turn out to be true, that would be fantastic. The Olympics just got even more exciting and unpredictable! We will have the rematch of the veterans and everything is up for grabs. I'd be curious to Osmond vs Joannie at Skate Canada and the Canadian Championship to see who's PCS will be higher. Joannie's should.

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Did I miss an official comeback announcement :confused: ? Would be very nice to see her competing again, though.

8. os168

os168 Active Member

Yeah i got a little excited and jumped to the gun. Only realised after I read the article, that this is only a 'possibility'. I'd love to see her back though, she is a fantastic skater.

9. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Imho if Joannie Rochette comes back, then Canada has the first ever Olympic Team Gold Medal in the bag. They are dominant in every single discipline *except* ladies, and even that was a mishap at this year's Worlds because imho Kaetlyn Osmond has it all, she just needs more experience & time, which is why I say if Joannie comes back, it's a done deal. Joannie already has the experience & technical expertise, unlike young Kaetlyn.

My bet is that Joannie will come back in order to secure Canada that much coveted first ever Olympic Team Gold Medal. :cool:

10. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

So Joannie will decide after SOI? That leaves her just 6 months of intensive training before Nationals. That's a tough proposition for a skater who hasn't had a full SP-FS competition in four years. She may still have all her triples, but it's one thing to do triples in practice, and quite another thing to do them with complex choreography, spins and footwork in a CoP FS. Attempting to come back to full competitive form in such a short time risks injury. Sasha Cohen tried to make it to Vancouver with just 6 months lead time and couldn't quite do it because of injury, and Sasha was 24 in 2010, while Joannie will be 28 in January.

If Joannie was really seriously entertaining the thought of returning for Sochi, she'd already be training rigorously. Since she hasn't been, I'd be really shocked if she decided to return.

11. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I agree. But all Joannie has to do is get 2nd in Canada to get a spot. She can skate mediocre in the Team Final yet possibly medal if the team pulls her up. Sounds like that's more on her mind than the individual event.

12. euterpe

The problem is if Joannie feels she is able to do the team event only, then she should not return. If she withdrew after the team event, then Kaetlyn would be the only Canadian skater in the individual event. That does not seem fair to other Canadian skaters who would be prepared to do both team and individual.

13. leafygreens

I'm not saying she is not prepared for the individual, only that it sounds like she is not pressuring herself for a medal in the individual this time around. Her motivation seems to be to compete in the first team event and have a more enjoyable experience in the individual. I have not heard anyone talking about her withdrawing after the team event.

14. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but can a skater only compete in the team event with completely different skaters in the individual events?

How wonderful would it be to have Joannie skate team and KO and Gabby do singles :)

15. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Basically, no. IOC does not like increasing the number of participants in the Olympics. The team event was allowed with the strict condition of up to 10 more people besides the individual event competitors. This pool of 10 additional participants could be only used by the countries which do not have participants in the individual events.

16. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Gosh...I am so selfish. I would love to see her compete on OLY ice again. I say Rochette / Czisny / Akiko for the podium!

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

If Rochette is in, I think Skate Canada would want both her and Osmond to compete at both the team and the ladies events, so that both can be OGM.

Osmond is probably a better bet for the short program since she has a 3/3. Rochette's pverall strength will be better suited as a free skater.

If Rochette only wants to compete at the team event, can she withdraw AFTER the team event is over, and have Daleman flown in as substitute (the ladies event is a week or so afterwards anyway)?

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

No. That's why the Russian Fed is hitting themselves, as their one sole entry in the men's event means Plushenko has to do both phases of the team event if he wants to compete in the men's event.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Not technically, but if a skater were to become injured after the Team Event, that skater could be replaced by another if the deadline for replacements hasn't passed. I don't know where to find the replacement rules, but Kwan did attend at least one official Olympic practice before being replaced by Emily Hughes in the Ladies event, which is the last of the events, so the deadline is not when official practices begin.

For Plushenko to skate just the individual event, he'd have to be the alternate, the official entry would have to skate the Team Event and become injured after it, and the replacement deadine for the Men's event would have to be in time for Plushenko to replace the original lone entry man.

I believe that injured skaters have to leave their accommodations in the Olympic Village. The way the Sochi alternate paragraphs are written, it doesn't look like alternates are given accommodations unless they fill in for other skaters. If the country NOCs provide other accommodations for alternates, then a replaced skater could swap with the replacement skater.

20. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I don't know if maybe Michelle was a special case, because when Emanuel withdrew in 2002 after a practice session, Jeff was not flown in to replace him. Canada ended up having just Elvis competing. I think the rationale was that if a skater has been on official practice ice, they have technically participated in the competition.

21. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I remember the difference between Michelle's and Eman's cases was time frame. Michelle withdrew early enough for her replacement, but not Eman.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It was surely time frame, but I don't think it was based on being on practice ice. The IOC has a Late Athlete Replacement policy. While I can find lots of references to it and a LOCOG brochure mention that it would be sent to the NOCs in January 2012, I can't find the policy itself or anything specific about figure skating and am having no luck with the official Olympic site -- there are no documents listed for Sochi 2014 yet -- but several sports federation documents refer to it. For Sochi/2014, FIBT (bobsledding and skeleton) released a document (.pdf) that states:

It doesn't define what the "official training period" is, i.e., whether this is an IOC definition or an FIBT definition. There's no other reference to "training" in the document.

For the London 2012 Olympics, the ITTF (table tennis) published a document called "LATE ATHLETE REPLACEMENT POLICY
    FOR THE LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES" stating:

9 July 2013 is the date by which the LOGOC needed to receive the Entry/Eligibility Conditions Forms (and parent/guardian approval forms for minors).

It also states:

I don't see a specific pattern for the exceptions. It isn't clear whether these exceptions mean that there can't be replacements for them or the replacement deadline is later.

Canoeing/Kayaking Canada document states:

I've found lots of articles about how Freya Murray replaced Paula Radcliffe for the marathon last summer; it was announced 29 July, and the woman's marathon was run 5 August. Murray needed to be approved by the IOC to replace Radcliffe, and there are several references to how injuries/illnesses must be announced by the Federation and, if necessary, IOC medical people. (I'm not sure if this is the Galiyeva Rule, or whether the IOC didn't bother to invoke this clause in 1992.) A CAS document notes that there is also a category of "other" with explanation field; this was a doping case.

Without knowing whether figure skating is an exception or what the Technical Meeting is -- Is it one meeting for all of Figure Skating? A meeting for each discipline/event? Something made moot by the start of the games because the Team Event is so early? -- it's impossible to say what it really means for Sochi.

23. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

24. euterpe

Michelle first practiced the day after the Opening Ceremonies, which was weeks before the Ladies SP. She withdrew almost immediately after that practice.

Does anyone know when the Team event is scheduled? Where will it be in relation to the disciplines? If it comes before all the individual disciplines, then there would be a huge time gap between Team and Ladies (which is last).

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Team Event is scheduled first.

From what I've found so far, it may depend on whether there is one Technical Meeting before the Team Event, or one before each event.

26. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

I'm pretty sure the reason that Eman couldn't be replaced in 2002 was that the draw for the SP had already occurred. Hoping to hear about Joannie's Olympic plans soon!

27. leafygreens

It's hard to know what her exact capabilities are right now by watching this video, as it's not a competitive program.

28. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Probably the video was posted because the title of this thread is 'Joannie Rochette News', and Maofan7 simply thought that her recent performance could be relevant to such a thread?

29. shine

shine Well-Known Member

here's a better video of Joannie's program to "Is it a crime" from Japanese SOI. She's such a performer! She skates like how I had always wished she would skate in competitions, with a wide range of movements and true freedom.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAUDU7bWXQ

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  30. euterpe

Joannie is a great show skater, but she did only a 3S and a 2A in this program, with lots of posing and plenty of rest spots. That gives no indication of how she could handle a 4-minute 6-triple FS or even a SP with two harder triples, one in combo. She's been doing exhibition programs for the past 3.5 years, with only the Japan Open for competition; this year she did the pro event rather than the eligible competition. After SOI, she would have only 7 months to get in shape and choreograph programs for Nationals. Seems like too much, too late to me.