Joannie most likely won't do Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Polymer Bob, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

2. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Sounds like GP is for sure a no. But she will compete at the Japan Open :cheer2:

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, Polymer Bob!

:)

Sad she won't be competing in the GP, but I'm happy she'll go to Japan Open!

:cheer:

Any idea who the other competitors are?

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I think being an Olympic medalist takes a lot of pressure off Joannie and she may be looking forward to taking more risks with her competitive skating should she decide to continue . . . maybe not hesitate so much on the 3+3 attempts now since she has much less to lose. I really wonder who her "ideas" are in terms of who she will work with now that Manon Perron is no longer an option. Her competitive future is still up in the air, but I would love to see her try for a World title! I wonder if she is considering Jeff Buttle's past coaching team, Lee Barkell, Rafael Arutunian, or Doug Leigh, to train her if she does decide to compete again? Whatever she decides, I wish her all the success and happiness in the world! YO JO!!! :cheer2:

6. Alexei'sgirl

Alexei'sgirl Member

Clearly I've missed something...why is Manon Perron no longer an option?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, that's too bad. :(

9. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I'd love it if she went back to Sebastien Britten - she's been amazing since, but I still think her 04/05 season with him was amazing and when she was at her best.

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Desperate times demand desperate measures: bring back Mira for the GP. :lol:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  11. museksk8r

I thought Britten was her choreographer, not her coach. I did some research and he apparently is a coach and a choreographer. Still, I don't think he was Rochette's primary coach, but may have had an assistant role. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  12. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

we are not THAT desperate (shudder)

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  13. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

She makes it seem that she just wants to take a break for awhile; not surprising considering her hard year..

14. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

Sebastien was her coach only for the 2004-2005 season with Josée Normand because Manon didn't want to train her again after she didn't train like Manon wanted it to be.

15. museksk8r

Understandably so. Aside from the physical, mental, and emotional toll of an Olympic season on home ice, dealing with a breakup from Francois, unexpectedly and tragically losing her mother, and working in her outreach to bring public awareness to heart health, she's also been on the go non-stop traveling all around the world participating in every ice show known to mankind. No wonder the poor woman is exhausted and in definite need of a break!

Great for her! I'm glad she has an education to fall back on and she has Guillaume, her family, and her friends to keep her company. :)

16. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I wonder if she's been back to her parent's house at all? I know previously she said she's been avoiding it :(

17. Skateushka

Skateushka Active Member

what a boring article.

18. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

19. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

It's interesting to me how Bev Smith worded this article. She says that Joannie is going to compete at the Japan Open, which means she'd either need to practice her Samson & Delilah free skate, or create a whole new program and make sure she's in decent shape by the beginning of October. She then goes on to say that since Joannie is taking the rest of this month off, that she won't have time to be ready for the Grand Prix, which occurs AFTER the Japan Open, and at least one of the events would be far less traveling (as she would most likely get Skate Canada).

I'm wondering if she's holding off to maybe see if Scott Hamilton actually has those pro competitions he has planned become a reality?

20. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Well, I think the Japan Open might have a very substantial and lucrative appearance fee. That attracts, as all the shows, way more than the upcoming GP season which in case Joannie continues she doesn't need to build a name or a reputation for the moment.
    I'm on the opinion we won't see Rochette compete anymore. She's never struck me as a person who strives with competition. I hope I'm wrong, though. She's the most mature lady out there today, and her skills are to die for

21. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I don't want Joannie to retire :( I was still so looking forward to seeing her new competitive programs for next season. Somehow I have a feeling that she still has more competitive fire left in her, and just needs more time to regroup and rejuvenate. I want to see how far she can take her skating now that she doesn't have the pressure of proving herself as she did before. I really hope she stays for at least a season or two. *crosses fingers*

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't see Rochette returning to the ISU competitive circuit either. How she handled herself at the Olympics has opened so many doors for her. She should take advantages of those opportunities while they're there. She won't have time to train seriously nor do I think she would want to go back to the daily grind of training.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I would also love for Joannie to stay eligible...but it would be a surprise if she did. Especially if she needs to find a new coach - is that for certain? I read through the other thread for a while but didn't see anything definitive about Perron...but I nodded off when talk resumed to Joubert :shuffle:

I think holding off on a decision to see if anything comes of the pro comps is smart.

24. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

As far as I understand it, yes-- and I feel the exact same way you do re: working with a new coach and adjusting to possible different training habits, etc. Perron agreed that she would only be able to coach Rochette until the end of the Olympic season. All of her other students had moved to work full-time with other coaches, and Joannie was the one exception because of her potential heading into Vancouver.

25. masofs

masofs New Member

Oh no... I really hope she stays! Please, please, please!

26. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I don't want her to retire either. But I don't want her to step onto the ice if her heart is not in it. She's had a good career. Whatever she decides, let's wish her all the best.

27. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I also have the feeling Joannie won't compete any more. And it would be pretty tough for her to enter any competition if she's been off the ice since February. The longer the training gap, the less likely it is that she will skate competitively again.

28. masofs

masofs New Member

Yeah, I know. I wish her the best, whatever she decides. But I would love her to stay. :(

29. jlai

jlai Title-less

Agree

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Without Rochette, I fear that the Canadian ladies field might be rather abysmal. Was Phaneuf's performance at Worlds a sign that she was finally back in true competitive form or just her lucky day?

Either way the second spot might be given to the least weak in a weak field. Hopefully one of the top ladies other than Cynthia will step up to the plate, but given the track record of Canadian ladies, it might be too much to ask for, at least for next season.