Joanne Conway & John Dunn

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lay'dback, Aug 31, 2011.

1. lay'dback

lay'dback New Member

After 3 years in Madrid, they are returning to England to set up a new International skating school at Lee Valley rink London.
    Sara Hurtado & Adria Diaz are thought to be relocating with them.
    With the loss of Ice dance from Nottingham (the centre of excellence!!!) its good to see John trying to raise the profile at Lee Valley- will be interesting to see if anyone else joins him?
    Joanne will be coaching singles.

2. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Oh, interesting :) Any idea what's happening with Sandro DiPietrantonio who was coaching in Madrid with them at one time?

3. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

Wow that's great news. I believe Liz Coates (hope I have the name right) has fairly recently moved from Nottingham to Lee Valley, and Kate & Rory (Juniors) moved there too. Wonder if this will mean Charlotte Aiken and Josh W (assuming recovery from injury) will relocate there too after moving to Spain (I think) last season.

4. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I lurves me some Joanne Conway, but not sure I'd want her as my jumping coach... Cuz it don't mean a thing if ya ain't got that triple!

Maximillian and (deleted member) like this.
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If you had to be able to do a triple to teach a triple, a very large percentage of high-level coaches today would be out of work. I wouldn't write Joanne off that quickly.

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I always loved Joanne's style. She was fantastic at 91 Euros.

7. Skateophile

Skateophile New Member

Her figures at 89 Euros in Birmingham were, to quote her coach at the time (Robin Cousins), "awesome" - I heard him say so. Joanne had lots of injuries but, even so, her results and performances were much better than some people have given her credit for in retrospect.

I'm looking forward to seeing the skaters from Lee Valley in the next couple of seasons, Spanish ice dance has come up from nothing internationally in a very short time - must be something to do with John and Joanne.

8. alij

alij Active Member

Having watched Joanne many times whilst she was in training I wouldn't have a problem at all with her as a jump coach as she had some beautiful triples, putting them on competition ice was a totally different matter for her, but not one which was down to actual technique.

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Indeed. I have that tape of ITV coverage. She had a fantastic SP, too, but only with doubles. The 3ples eluded her in the LP, too, and she unded up in 6th place, after entering the final phase in 2nd place. Joanne then was off for a season & came back strong with triples at '91 Euros, ending up 4th (behind Bonaly, Grossman & Kiellman)...but many thought that she wuz robbed of a medal at those 91 Euros.

10. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I was basically kidding. I was net friends with a woman at the time, Suzanne, who knew all about the Fassi trio. Jill was always an attention/ego seeker, and had Patty (Mars?) play best friend, mother, uberfan, whatever. Caren always had her mother by her side. Joanne? She moved to a foreign country and solo'd it for years. Joanne had no one. Alot was made that her mother worked the night shift at the local pscyh hospital to pay for expenses. Well, that summed up Joanne Conway. Never a glitter gal, knew where she came from.
    Irrespective of her jump technique, I would find Joanne Conway to be a wonderful coach. She really was 14 going on 50. A very mature woman. And very successful too, looking at her Euro and World results.

11. Skateophile

Skateophile New Member

I can't speak for the other two, but I endorse your comments about Joanne, Louise. I met her mother a few times and she was a very down to earth and friendly person, so that's where it came from!

12. Morelli

Morelli New Member

PLease could someone expand on the part about Ice Dance not being at Nottingham anymore. Where are penny and Nick based when not abroad? And what anout Philip and Neil (have I got the name right?) who taught there.

13. lay'dback

lay'dback New Member

14. Morelli

Morelli New Member

Thanks for the link. It is no wonder they had to chop dance from the academy if 10 dancers were expecting exclusive ice time, especially when it sounds like not many of them were at the point where they would need intensive training on clear ice. Something was lost from skating when it moved to academies instead of club sessions where recreational and more serious skaters shared the ice and free skaters joined in on the dance intervals. You have to wonder if our lack of numbers in top level skaters is because they burn out from taking it too seriously too early.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

But conditions at Lee Valley are horrific!

It's basically a huge tent.

And there's no off-ice facilities. No proper changing rooms even. Nothing.

Are they gonna be doing ballet in the bar upstairs?