Joan Rivers on Jennifer Aniston, "She Bores Me, Her Movies are Stupid."

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Mar 9, 2011.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

As someone else stated, I look at them all. But the people who design Cooking Light don't do nearly as good a job as the people who design The Star. :lol:

I just love how stating that info about celebrities is everywhere even if you don't go looking for it has turned into "it's your own fault you notice the info". Sorry I didn't train myself to go through life deliberately not noticing what is around me. :p

My theory is that a certain group of people are very offended by adultery and want to see Brad and Angelina get some sort of comeuppance. Another group is thrilled with the pairing and therefore doesn't want any reminders of how the relationship started and so wants Jen to go away (and paints her as 'unable to move on' when she dares to give interviews or be photographed in the celebrity gossip rags).

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think the "problem" with Jen is that people cannot imagine someone in her position - with her wealth, beauty, fame - to be in her 40s and still single and childless, no less (oh, the horror!). So people put on their Dr. Freud hat and think that she's single is because she hasn't been able to move on from Brad :lol:.

3. Margot

Margot New Member

I haven't read any of the prior posts in this thread. My only comment is that I have never liked Joan Rivers because she bases much of her "humor" on making fun of others. I particularly remember her making fun of the weight gain of Elizabeth Taylor. I'm not really a fan of Elizabeth Taylor, I just do not appreciate making fun of others in this way.

4. mag

mag Well-Known Member

ITA. I mean imagine ... not having a husband and children, and gasp, perhaps not even wanting them. It is just wrong I tell you, wrong!

By saying Jennifer hasn't moved on, it allows people to make sense of the situation based on their narrow view of the world.

I too can't help reading the fronts of magazines. I don't know how to see words and not read them. Cool trick if I could do it, but I can't.

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You know how when someone tries to tell you something that you don't want to hear, what do you do then? You cover your ears with your fingers and loudly say, "LALALALALALALA....".

So when you see a rag magazine, you immediately cover your eyes and say to yourself, "Not gonna read. Not gonna read. Not gonna read." :D

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Speaking of actresses who bore people, can anyone explain to me what is the big deal with Julianne Moore?

She seems like a nice enough person, and she's certainly not a terrible actress, but as of this weekend I have now seen her in three movies:

The Hours: superficial portrayal of lost suburban housewife
    A Single Man: superficial portrayal of drunk suburban housewife with horrible British accent
    The Kids Are All Right: superficial portrayal of airhead hippie lesbian suburban housewife

What am I missing here?

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm no trained movie critics, but I can say that JM got rave reviews from them for her work in ASM and TKAA. So she must be doing something right ;)

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Heck, when I was a kid, I'd even read the words on the cereal box. They were there and so was I. :shuffle:

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

Joan and Melissa Rivers - two harpies dishing the girls that trump them. That's what I see.

That's probably what they want me to see, too. I know Joan makes fun of herself, but I can't tell if Melissa has a sense of humor or not.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Not to mention Moore clearly gave the best performance in The Hours (IMO) and her co-star robbed her of the Oscar for her performance in Far From Heaven.

I don't know if you can truly explain why someone is a good actress or not. Either you think so or you don't and people will always disagree despite seeing the same performance.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I thought The Hours was a truly terrible movie, but I will admit that her parts dragged at a slightly less glacial pace than the rest :p

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I actually totally agree with you. I thought that movie was pretty God-awful and not very subtle. I know not every movie needs subtlety, but it was so unabashedly Oscar-baitish.

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

FINALLY, someone in the public eye had the balls to say it; it's so true! :EVILLE::rofl:

14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

My sister and I used to read the french side of the box out loud ... we thought we sounded so sophisticated even though we didn't have a clue what we were saying!

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The Hours is my favorite movie of all time and I have seen it so many times that I can recite most of it. :shuffle:

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I thought Julianne Moore was so good in it. Streep - meh.

17. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

IMO, Elvis was considered a god for his music, not the cheesy movie rolls that the colonel kept lining up for him to rake in the $$$$. Even Elvis himself thought that most of the movies he starred in were awful...:scream:

Having said that, my all-time fav Elvis movie (actually, it's the only Elvis movie that I really like,) is Girl Happy. :)