Joan Rivers on Jennifer Aniston, "She Bores Me, Her Movies are Stupid."

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Wasn't this a Friends episode?:lol:

2. Civic

Civic New Member

No, I meant when Friends became popular back when she was in her twenties.

3. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

One more comment then I kind of give up. Again I've never been a huge fan of any of the three members of the triangle but lately I've found myself defending Jennifer Aniston (to a point).

Like now, it's funny that when someone dislikes "Brangelina" (apparently they are almost above reproach) then that person is told that is is relatively easy to avoid reading about celebrities one doesn't like. Jennifer is accused of using her PR team/agent to continue to print stories to keep her poor pitiful spinster self in the spotlight which is why she is such a despicable distateful person apparently. Yet Brad and Angelina are defended when people say similar about them.

So why does the same thing not apply to Ms. Aniston? For so many (including Joan and her horse faced daughter) they seem to sit and watch everything Aniston does (they seem to have problems avoiding someone they hate so very much) rather than just ignore her. I don't watch most of her films or interviews. Very simple. I guess since Aniston is unpopular it works differently?

Anyhow, none of what any of the three of them do affects my life (I suppose I could say that about anybody celebrity or not) so I guess there is no point in arguing especially since my opinions put me on the "wrong" side.

Jennifer seems pretty easy to ignore honestly, so it's unfortunate the number the press has done on her and many seem to have bought into it.

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That only works on the assumption that people who stated the former also did the latter.

I see a trend here. It seems that if one defends on person (whether it be Bragelina or Jennifer Aniston) then it must mean they have to hate the other, or people find reasons to dislike one on the basis that they like the other. I mean why are we even comparing Angelina and Jennifer's body or body of work other than the fact that Angelina and Brad got together when he was still married to Jennifer Aniston like more than 5 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I also find it pretty despicable and I don't respect anyone - both the one who cheated and the one who helped with the cheating (though I put more blame on the cheater since he/she is the one who made the promise to be faithful and vowed "till death do us part")- but I fail to see what the situation above has to do with ones acting or body or really why people have to feel like they have to constantly compare the two or use that incident to further some sort of weird fandom divide that's happening.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I used the above situation because from reading peoples comments one of the main reasons people hate Jennifer Aniston is because she is blamed for keeping her name connected to her ex husband and Angelina Jolie. All three are constantly mentioned in the press but it's Aniston that people seem to have the biggest problem with. Someone also suggested that it was easy to ignore Brad and Angelina so I only stated that the same holds true for Aniston. Yet in her case rather than just ignore her people read articles and apparently watch films they find boring and similar and comment negatively on it.

I realize that by now it's just beating a dead horse since people seem to actually enjoy the sport of Aniston hating so my opinions hold very little weight and probably aren't going to sway people at this late date. I agree with numbers; it's best to say nothing especially if you don't agree that Jennifer Aniston is horrible and ugly.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't get it because people beat up on Brad and Angelina too. Again, you can't assume that the same people who say you can ignore Brad and Angelina wouldn't say the same for Jennifer Aniston. Since we're going on assumptions here, maybe people who like to beat up on Aniston have no trouble saying that they keep up with celebrity news and don't tell people to just ignore Brad and Angelina. Maybe they defend Brad and Angelina in other ways since again there seems to be a fanwar.

Anyway, the only reason why I asked why is it that people see celebrities everywhere to the point where they feel that its shoved down their throats is because I myself don't find myself "suffering" from that problem (and I work in a bookstore that sells all those trashy magazines, read the internet, etc. but I find that stuff easy to ignore). I made no mention of Jennifer Aniston prior. Maybe I missed it in this thread when someone else told people to ignore Brad and Angelina while criticizing Aniston's interviews and whatnot. Or maybe you're talking about seeing this happen in other threads or other forums, etc.

Also, I thought people were only criticizing numbers' post because numbers was criticizing Brad and Angelina's charitable work in New Orleans and elsewhere while other people disagreed with that criticism. Again, I didn't see any reaction towards Jennifer Aniston.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

CoughOprahcough. I think she's one of the most self-serving and egotistical celebs out there, but this is tempered by the good that her acts create and sustain.

8. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Some years ago I remember reading on FSU something similar written about Gwyneth Paltrow. How, had she not been daughter of a mega producer - she would still have been working in Gap.

And I agree with both statements. :biggrinbo

9. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was going to say. Pheobe thought she finally found a selfless good deed when she let a bee sting her so he would look tough and then realized he probably died when he stung her :rofl:

10. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Grocery shop mostly. The headlines are always full of Brad and Angelina. Jen, OTOH, kind of comes and goes, though lately she's been around more, probably because of her new movie. But Brad and Angelina and the kids are on the cover of at least one rag every week and sometimes they are on all of them. (By rag, I mean the disreputable ones like the Star and National Enquirer. They are only on People and US Weekly about 1x a month. ;) )

Oh and I don't think the "press" is quite so in love with them any more. Lately the pictures I see are of Angelina looking like she's having a meltdown or is trying out for the part of the Wicked Witch of the West with screaming headlines about how she beats the kids.

"press" being the rags again. The stuff in the more mainstream gossip mags is still fairly fawning, at least on the covers. I wouldn't know about inside.

11. Norlite

Norlite New Member

12. MacMadame

Well, there is also US Weekly, In Style and a bunch of others ones. Between them all, I see Jolie fairly often, moreso than Pitt and/or kids.

13. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

And that's my point... you don't have to TRY to see them. They are on the covers of lots of the magazines at the grocery stores: OK, US, Enquirer, Star, etc. You don't have to pick them up and read the articles to feel inundated. Why, just last night I learned that Brangelina's kids are turning violent and poor Brad is beside himself, all without so much as picking up a magazine.

Not only that, but a lot of public places that I tend to frequent (gym, rink, lunch room at work) oftentimes have televisions tuned to the "entertainment" shows.

Even on the internet, my e-mail provider's home page has celebrity news front and center, MSN always has some celebrity snippet right there on the home page, and on and on.

You don't have to actively seek out news about Brad and Angie... it is right there, in your face, all the time. I guess some day the "press" will move on to another couple, but right now they seem to think everyone wants to know their every move. It just gets old.

I guess the alternative is staring at the ceiling while waiting to check out at the store or running on the treadmill with eyes closed.

14. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Or look to your right and stare at the candy bars and gum instead of the magazines. ;)

15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

:lol: So true.

The idea that everywhere one goes or looks one always see something about Angie or Brad or Jennifer is silly. There are other magazines next to the tabloid rags at the checkout counters. If you stare at the rags' covers then it's because you've conditioned yourself to do so.

16. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Mmmm... now there's a yummy alternative. :cool:

I tend to read everything. Writing and editing is part of what I do for a living, so I'm conditioned. It's also possible that I'm just easily irritated. :D

17. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

But I'm a fast reader behind slow people. I run out of magazine covers and there's a reason I don't stare at the candy.

18. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

But you haven't been complaining about being bombarded with Jen, Brad and Angelina. Read away. ;)

19. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

My fiancee thinks Jen is hot. According to him, it's because she's pretty but not so gorgeous that a regular guy couldn't date her, is sexy but never slutty, and you can take her to the opera, camping, or home to mom.

I'm not a fan, bet I like the fact that she seems to be fairly low key and sane.

Angelina OTOH looks as stinky to me as Brad is reported to be. The woman looks like what I imagine a 19th century comsumptive prostitute to look like.

20. MacMadame

:eyeroll:

They are designed to be looked at and the people who lay out the covers are very good at their job...

It's not just those 3 I know all about when I don't care, either. I now know way too much about the Kardasians as well. And Heidi Montag. Oh and that Bethanny chick. At least she was on a skating show. ;) And Snooki -- who actually was funny the time I accidentally caught her on Letterman.

I find it amusing that I know as much as I do about people I don't care about when I don't watch the news or go to news sites. I think info about celebrities is just very pervasive in our culture and hard to avoid. How much that bugs you is an individual matter.

It doesn't really bug me except when the "press" starts harping on a subject and won't let go. Which is a category I'd put the Brad, Jen, Angelina "love triangle" in. It's old. I want them to move on.

21. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

The facination with Brad Angelina and Jennifer is that everyone assumes Brad and Jennifer will get back together some day, get married, and live happily ever after. :lol:

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The next time you're waiting at a checkout line at the supermarket, observe the men standing in line and the women standing in line. Most men couldn't care less about those rags.

Of course the covers are designed to grab your attention but you can also choose to immediately look at another magazine like Family Circles or Cooking Light, for example. No one is forcing you to stare at the cover so that you can read the headlines and identify whose on those rags.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

No, people are waiting for Brad and Angie to break up so that they can self-righteously proclaim "Uh Huh, What Goes Around Comes Around!" :p

24. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

If you can read, and you see words, you read them. You can't not read words once you learn to read. I mean, really....try it. It's impossible to not read words. I never intend to read gossip mags, I never buy them. But I read the headlines and covers etc... because they are words, and I read words. Almost unconsciously. Or subconsciously??? LOL!

25. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I never liked Brad & Angie long before Brangelina. Brad because he stole Thelma & Louise's money & ultimately caused their death. Irrational I know but remember, killing John Wayne in The Cowboys killed Bruce Dern's career for years. Besides, he always seemed like really dull to me, not much personality there. Just a pretty face.

And Angie did that wearing Billy Bob's blood around her neck thing. She has always seemed slightly crazy to me. And then adultery didn't endear either of them to me, but that wasn't my marriage so that is basically their business, not mine.

As for Jen, I really liked Friends, but Phoebe was my favorite. I like her ok & I think she's pretty but I don't go to the movies that much so she doesn't annoy me.

Yes, high 5 to Joan. She took a woman who apparently never did her any harm & mocked her. That must have taken a lot of talent. Yay St Joan. There are a lot of people who bore me (your ugly daughter leaps to mind) but I dont' go around telling them.

Elvis Presley played one character in all his movies his entire career & he was considered a god.

Well since Jennifer doesn't have a mega producer father, I guess there was some talent there. She was also accepted into NY's HS of the Performing Arts so I guess she took them in too.

26. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Maybe being the goddaughter of "Kojak" helped :hat1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telly_Savalas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Aniston

"Who loves you, baby?" (not Joan :shuffle: )

27. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Her father doesn't have to be a mega producer to have influence; John Aniston is a daytime superstar. He's been playing Victor Kiriakis on Days of our Lives since the year of the flood; I'm sure he must have valuable connections.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Joan insults everyone though. Why should she treat Jen differently?
    And no, beauty ain't Melissa's middle name.

29. Civic

Civic New Member

He also played Martin Tourneur on Search For Tomorrow for several years.

30. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Something about Jen has always irritated me. I have never figured out quite what it is, but it's still there.

Brad and Ange... I never liked either of them until they became parents. I can finally kind of see the appeal in him, and she (and her look) have softened quite a bit since Maddox, and I can see how stunning she is now. I also kind of love her craziness, and the fact that she doesn't have a publicist, so any comments she makes are actually made by her.

I'd go see a Brad or Ange movie many times before a Jen one, despite the intended draw to her films. They're just so... 'meh.' Ange has played everything from a kick ass British archaeologist to a crazed mother. Brad has played everything from a Nazi hunter to an 80 and 20 year old man. Jen has played the romcom lady since the dawn of time, except for about 2 attempts at something different.

IMO the only awesome thing about Jen is her relation to Victor Kiriakis. And the fact that I read once that the old Brady on Days was in the background of an episode of Friends (the one where the Days party is on the roof), and told Jen 'my wife (Nicole on the show) plays your dad's wife on the show,' to which she replied with 'umm, how old is your wife?'