Joan Rivers on Jennifer Aniston, "She Bores Me, Her Movies are Stupid."

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Civic

Civic New Member

I dislike her hairstyle (always have) but otherwise I'm indifferent to Ms. Aniston. I neither like or dislike her. As far as her looks...imo, she is pretty enough but nothing special. I've seen prettier young women on the college campus where I used to work.

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I'm trying to remember what we were doing to our hairs before Jenny came along and "changed" everything. Perms had already fallen out of favor by 1993 or 1994, hadn't they? Or were they still alive and well and Jenny's hair was the stake in the heart of Toni?

:COP:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Jennifer Aniston has lead billing in this movie along with Adam Sandler. You can try to take her out of the equation all you want but her name and image is all over the previews, posters, etc. It is impossible to insinuate that the film is a success because of Sandler and despite Aniston. There is NO possible way to ever prove that. Sandler's movies have always relied very heavily on supporting cast (usually B or C level comedians - think Rob Schneider) so he can't be given sole credit for the success of this or any movie, really. Not that he ever should, it is just silly to say that a movie is a hit because of one actor. That is a rare exception and Sandler is certainly not the type of star who can do that. Maybe someone like Depp can do that but even he and Jolie being paired together can produce a flop!

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Mile-high bangs were the thing in the early '90s. You should see my high school yearbooks. :scream: Then again, maybe you shouldn't.

5. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

Rule of thumb for Anniston movies: when it's a hit, it has nothing to do with her. When it bombs, it has everything to do with her.

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i have been saying that SJP looks like a foot for years, now that you mention it, the two of them have the same sort of face

7. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Comparing a 40-something Aniston to early 20-somethings isn't exactly fair though. The fact that she can stand up to 20-somethings says a lot about her looks I'd say. And I don't think she's a knockout beauty by any means.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ummhmmm...it was total crap. Plus, I thought that she sucked as Molly Brown in The Unsinkable Molly Brown. She was halfway decent in Singin' In the Rain, but that movie belonged to Gene Kelly....and his thigh muscles :).

Some people say SJP resembles Amber Corwin.

:lol: works for me.

I'll say her body is better than Angelina's. But Angelina at least makes better films. Jen is also turning into another Meg Ryan, another actress I can't stomach.

9. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

In my area of the country, mall bangs were on the way out in the early nineties and this look was starting to get popular.

10. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Yup, I had the 90210 (thin fringe) bangs, starting in 1992... :lol:

11. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Indeed. If she'd done anything noteworthy, the Brangelina stuff would go away.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:lol: I've always thought Amber Corwin looks like the unholy union of SJP (who looks like a horse IMO) and Judith Light (from Who's the Boss?)

Both women have beautiful bodies, but they're definitely different. Jolie, however, can act circles around Anniston, who's about as milquetoast as they come. I've never understood the OMIGODSHESSOFREAKINGHAWT!!11!!! obsession with Jennifer - IMO her face is average cute at best - in my high school, there were at least 100 girls who were far prettier than she ever was or is.

ETA: I think Joan Rivers can be mean at times, but that's no different than (as mentioned above) Don Rickles -- it's part of her schtick, which has lasted longer than Jennifer Anniston has been alive, so she obviously has some staying power. I also think Kathy Griffin is :rofl:, even when she goes on her political rants, because I love how she pokes at the idiocy of celebrities and especially celebutards (and she does have a few Emmys for her show My Life on the D-List). My favorite snark of hers is when she referred to Renee Zellwigger as looking like a "sweaty, puffy coke whore." :rofl: I nearly peed my pants laughing when she said that as Ms. Z. is another Hollywood actress who I don't find to be particularly attractive yet everyone goes bonkers over :blah: .

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl: Yes, I have to agree on both counts here.

That is mainly her press agent I think. The same person who can decide if, you know, magazine headlines should or should not constantly link her name to Brangelina..... :shuffle:

:rofl: :eek: ITA with Kathy on this one too. At one point, Ms. Z was in talks to portray Doris Day (!). Thank heavens that idea didn't come to fruition. They do have a slight resemblance, but Renee always looks like someone asked her to do something nasty in the back seat of a Hyundai....

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think that's one of the reasons she makes so many movies, and perhaps subconsciously, dates so many high profile men (ie he co-stars :lol:) - to try and change her description from "jilted former Friend" to "successful happy film actress."

As I understand it, she actually hates giving interviews and talking about her personal life, but her obligations for her movie contracts demand that she does them regularly.

15. phoenixflamezzz

No, tabloids and internets always mention the Brangelina thing because it sells magazines or gets them hits, and in the end, it's always about the benjamin.

As bland and unexciting as she is, she incites some strong reactions on both sides, and people love to talk about her. Exhibit 1898: this thread. :lol: Or just look at the comments section on HuffPo anytime an article about her is posted there.

16. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

OMG, that's so true!! :lol:

I think my mom is Sally Jesse Raphael/Bea Arthur, and my dad is Christopher Walken/Jon Voigt.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I do have to add that SJP was actually rather cute back in the day. But her skeletal appearance in recent times takes away from whatever good looks she had.

18. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Well, as you know, when a woman reaches 40 she has to make a choice between her face and her ass. SJP is obviously taking sides with her ass.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She was cute and had a great body.
    Actually, that's no longer the case. There are injectable fillers now that make the face look fuller while the body can lose all kinds of weight. But SJP does look a bit gaunt so perhaps she forgoes them.

20. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Maybe if you read an article, you'd see what people see in her. :shuffle:

Now, maybe not, but you're never going to understand if you decide based on the teasers on the front cover that she's not interesting. That's like saying you don't see what people see in a particular skater while declaring that you refuse to watch any of their performances because you're sure they must be boring.

Anyway, I think Jen is one of those people who is content to affect the world on a small scale. Apparently, her friends think she's awesome, the sort of person you can utterly depend on and would give you the shirt off her back if you are her friend. I don't think that's anything to sneeze at even if it's not going to come off as grandiose as saving orphans.

I also don't think everyone who is passionately involved in a global cause is necessarily a nice person or deeper than someone who would rather make sure her own corner of the world is a better place. You can be a flake or shallow or mean in either context. Or you can be nice, deep and/or dependable in either context.

Um, no. A press agent hasn't got that kind of power. It's the editor who comes up with the title for the article. Not even the author gets to decide that.

The thing is, a lot of Jen's recent interviews have had her expressly stating that she's kind of sick of the whole thing, that's she's happy and has moved on. But that part gets a slight mention way near the end of the article while the headlines and teasers still talk about Brangelina.

She can't really win on this one IMO. If she talked about it, even to say she's moved on, she hasn't moved on. If she doesn't talk about it, they write about it anyway... so she hasn't moved on. Personally, I think she's moved on. It's the public who hasn't. and, as has been mentioned, editors know that and know what sells.

I don't think she was ever cute. She's a great example of making the best of what you've got though. There are people with her bone structure and coloring who come off as down-right ugly and she's managed to avoid that. (Um, most of the time. :shuffle:)

21. venja

venja New Member

Yeah, and her $42 million home.

Count me as one that has a soft spot for Jennifer (she won me over with The Good Girl) And she's :grope: still.

22. emason

emason Well-Known Member

OT, but Singin' in the Rain is my least favorite movie musical ever and it's because of the insufferable Debbie Reynolds; I just can't watch it because of her.

23. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Jennifer is considered hot by straight males (I think) because she is cute in a non-threatening way (read: accessible) and her bod is smokin' from the neck down. No flat ass issues there. Between all three ladies on Friends and Angelina, I'd choose to look like her for exactly those reasons. And she laughs and is easy going. That's a bonus

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I think Griffin is just nasty. :scream: And not a thousandth as intelligent as she thinks she is.

Hey, you're talking about the movie I adore! :swoon:

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Well, when one is starting to look like the other...

I know, but then she'll look like.........Joan Rivers :lol:

Of, so if it is not them, then who? Jennifer can easily say she doesn't want to do any more interviews that mention Brad. And she's been talking about how tired she is of it for a while now. Someone on Team Jen can say "enough". IMO no one wants to.

Oh, I know. Her dancing didn't suck though. But she's another one with an annoying presence for me. And the funny thing is, I think her daughter Carrie is amazing! Witty and smart and self-deprecating.

26. phoenixflamezzz

well, i think she has control over what is asked in an interview, but she probably has no control over the editorial of the article. so an author inevitably will mention the whole brangelina thing to get some hits.

27. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I have never understood the fascination with Jennifer Aniston. Ever!
    And she keeps appearing on the cover of magazines. So weird.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Besides having had obscene amounts of plastic surgery, Joan Rivers overfills. More is not always better. :shuffle: Exhibit A

29. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

ITA with your entire post actually.

I've never been a huge Jennifer Aniston fan but also don't hate her the way most people seem to either. Some (many) of her films aren't that great and some are enjoyable but Aniston is not the only actress who has been typecast into the rom-com genre (Julia Roberts in the past, Katherine Heigl, Jennifer Lopez etc.) yet somehow only Aniston get crucified and criticized for it. Heck somehow this woman gets crucified for everything she does. She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

I don't think she's perfect but IMO neither is Angelina Jolie yet one is practically the Anti-Christ and the other is Mother Teresa. IMO the truth about both is probably somewhere in between. I have never heard anything really terrible about Jennifer but wonder if I missed something.

Part if Jennifer's "problem" is that she isn't that great of a conversationalist and doesn't have the type of personality that makes people pay attention. Not a great interview subject. She kind of has a laid back hippie vibe and in interviews she always seems uncomfortable.

As for her press agent putting out the stories to keep her name in the press? I don't agree with that one. In the beginning I might have thought there was something to it but by now it's evident that any mention of her name only illicits negative comment. Look at what happened when loud mouthed Granny Handler verbally attacked Jolie over the Thanksgiving holliday. Handler was criticized but so was Aniston by many who apparently hang out with her on a daily basis as they "just knew" that Jennifer whined about Pitt and Jolie for her entire Mexican vacation and obviously told Chelsea Handler to rip Jolie apart.

Why would someone instruct their agent to continue to sign off on publishing stories about the triangle that just won't die if it makes them look bad to the public. After awhile you would think that would start to effect the box office numbers. Some people who might have gone to see Aniston's films see her in a negative light and tend to steer clear of anything she does.

Looks wise Jolie was really pretty from the neck up before the weight loss but IMO she never had that great of a body. She's always had the arms and hands of an 80 year old lady and no curves. She was fit, toned and athletic (some people prefer that bodytype) but no curves. She was a || rather than a )(.

Aniston has always had a great figure but kind of plain face. She has two features that on their own are pretty (eyes and hair) but not overall. And unfortunately even that is held against her. I've seen plainer, uglier women but Aniston is "chiniston", "maniston" or some other lovely combination of creatively named insult.

The really annoying part is that Pitt seems to have skated through the entire mess unscathed; it's just the two women who have some fans going back and forth. Before the whole Brangelina/Jennifer triangle, I never really paid any of the three of them much attention and I try not to now but the press and ITA certain fans won't let it go.

Joan can be funny but sometimes is very nasty. As for pulling someone's hair over their face? Coming from Joan who looks like a melting wax candle and who also has quite a homely daughter that's really rich.

Speaking of Kathy Griffin, I can't believe she's dating the Old Spice guy.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Check out any Renee Zellwegger post on ohnotheydidnt. Somebody photoshopped a box of Renee's sour lemon drop candy complete with a picture of her permanently puckered face. A woman I once worked with said she always looks like she's smelling a fart. I do love the Bridget Jones films though. :lol:

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.