Joan Rivers on Jennifer Aniston, "She Bores Me, Her Movies are Stupid."

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

That's usually the best part of the movie...

2. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

You are so right! My personal favorite movie death of his was in the gawdawful remake of Wicker Man. The original was so good (one of my favorite trick endings of all time), but it was ruined with the remake.

3. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

But it gave us the immortal line, "Not the bees! NOT THE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!" and my personal favorite, "Step away from the bike!"

4. screech

screech Well-Known Member

According to the internet, Shiloh will be 5 this year, so Brad and Angelina have been together for 6 or so years (I think it was early 2005). Brad and Angelina seem to be way past all the Jennifer stuff, so why can't she (and the media) get past it? Is it just because she's in her 40s and single? She's way past her 'America's Sweetheart' years, she hasn't been in anything of note lately, so what's her relevance? Personally, I think Lindsay Lohan has more relevance than she does right now. At least LiLo is doing things to keep people talking, rather than constantly rehashing things from years ago.

5. Ares

Ares Guest

Does anyone actually think Joan is funny? It just seems like everyone on her show laughs uncomfortably when she tells a joke. Like "we have to laugh because she's really old and it's her show."

I'm not a huge Jen Aniston fan, but 5 of her last 8 films have made over $100 million at the box office, and 2 of the 3 that didn't (Love Happens and The Switch) still doubled their production budgets. Not too bad. Crappy as these movies may be, with a decent male costar, she can sell tickets.

6. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Yes but Tina Fey is crazy good at it.And for some reason,I have no doubt Tina Fey could probably do anything she wanted.Drama or comedy.

The problem with Jennifers acting in comedy is she is just the same character,over and over and over.Nothing changes except a little bit of the story line and her characters name.

As far as drama vs comedy.I am a fan of both.A good barometer of talent is if you can make the audience laugh or make them cry.Mediocre is just annoying.

7. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

when was the last time she talked about it? i don't know, honestly. and are you serious about lindsay lohan? :scream:

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

By the way, her latest film "Just Go With It" has made over $88 million in the US (another $6 million this week so still raking it in). That is a big hit for anyone at this time of the year and I believe it finished #1 for a week. I bet it is Aniston's biggest success in a long time, if not ever, when it comes to films considering its run is not over for a few more weeks. It should pass $100 million before ever going to DVD.

9. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

you can look up her box office stats here:

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=jenniferaniston.htm

10. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

My crack about Nicholas Cage aside, cause that's different cause I said so, I am a little bit tired of people who make their entire living making of fun/insulting/running down others who actually do things.

Joan Rivers to me comes off as spiteful and jealous because for all her snarking, she hasn't had the tenth of the success of just one of Jennifer's flops. If it's so damn easy and you're so damn talented, why don't you go out and make some movies? Oh right, no one's knocking on your door. Where are all your Oscars and Emmys?

I'm putting Ricky Gervais and Kathy Griffin in the same category. Instead of making fun of easy targets and people that actually you know act in Hollywood, take a damn chance. It's very easy (and cowardly) to criticize constantly; it's much harder to put yourself out there for criticism.

11. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Ricky Gervias is an Golden Globe, BAFTA and Emmy Award winning actor/writer/producer. He has the success to back up his comedy, and has actually worked alongside a lot of the actors he pokes fun at (just look at his show Extras). No, his movies aren't always successful, but he pokes fun at that too (I remember him doing that for Ghost Town at last year's Globes). His most common target is Steve Carrell, but then again, he pretty much gave Steve his big break. I'll always remember Ricky at the Emmys the year after he couldn't be there, so they jokingly had Steve accept the award, then the next year Ricky made a big show of asking to get his award back from Steve. I'm pretty sure it was that bit that gave him the GG hosting gig.

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Doesn't Joan make funny of everyone? Calling Jennifer boring and stupid doesn't seem particularly outside of Joan's standard behaviour.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The best thing about Jennifer Aniston is her hair, namely her hair colorist.

14. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I always thought that Anniston is not very exciting as an actress, not that attractive, “Friends” are banal, etc…. until I saw the movie “The Good Girl”, with Anniston in the main role.

I don’t know much about this movie, never seen it again, maybe it’s in the category of “indi-movies”, black comedy about mid-American suburbia; not as obscure as “Clerks” or “Stranger than Paradise”, but same “sentiment”. Anniston was very good in it, and the movie itself is very interesting (to me).

15. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? :eek: Angelina has great body, or atleast had when she was younger and not super skinny. Jen may work out a lot but Angelina's body had this ethereal quality: great proportions, beautiful shape of muscles. Not to mention some softness in the right places.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm talking about her flat butt and toothpick legs. There's nothing ethereal about her body to me.

17. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I agree. She's a genius.

18. Auntie

Auntie New Member

19. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I think that was cute. thanks.

Hope she got paid a ton. It is a Coca Cola company, isn't it, with the advertising budget that implies.

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's Adam Sandler's movie. Jen is just one of the actresses he hired for a part in the film. One of Sheen's goddesses could've played Jen's role in the film, and it would still make 88 mil.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Don't forget "How'ditgetburned? How'ditgetburnedHOW'DITGETBURNED????" (There's a great RiffTrax for that movie, here.)

She hasn't? I guarantee a lot more people are familiar with her than with one of Jennifer's flops. Heck, probably more people heard Joan voicing a robot in Spaceballs than saw any five of Jennifer's flops.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

The money Jen's movies make would say otherwise...

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Exactly. As much as I liked The Object of My Affection, Friends with Money and even Derailed, those parts could easily have been played by about a dozen other actresses. The former film succeeded for me mainly because of the strong supporting cast, including the always superb Allison Janney (a former ice skater).
    And just because some of an actor's movies make money, doesn't mean that they are good movies. Steven Seagal anyone?

And no point in comparing Jen to Joan. First of all, despite her training in theater, Joan is first and foremost, a comedian. She made her mark with doing stand-up, and yes, snarking on A-listers, like lots of other comedians like Don Rickles. She never tried to become a film actress or transition from TV to movies like Jen is doing.

24. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Joan makes me laugh, Jen makes me just shake my head and say "what do people see in her". Don't know anything about Jen as I won't read any articles about her as they all seem "Woe is me, I lost Brad, don't I have pretty hair?". I also don't think she's pretty, she looks like a foot. Just my opinion though.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

People keep referring to Jen talking about Brad all the time - in all the interviews I've read, she never talks about him. The articles all mention him, but that's the interviewer talking, and guessing about her feelings, and relating everything she says to Brad and Angelina; not her.

26. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

A foot? Very interesting, please explain! :lol:

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

yeah, that's my impression too. The media is obsessed with that triangle and Brad and Angelina in general. They shove them down our throats so much...I can't stand them!

28. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I think they always bring it up in articles about Aniston because there's nothing else to talk about it. She's as bland as can be and seems to have no personality and no interests.

29. Civic

Civic New Member

Aww, you didn't just lurve "Tammy"? ;) It's funny because I used to love that movie when I was a teenager. I recently saw it again for the first time in over 30 years and my reaction was "What a load of treacle!"

30. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I think they probably bring it up because she's still single. Most stars would have been married (and likely divorced) again by now. I don't think they know what to do with someone who doesn't play to the stereotype.