Joan Rivers on Jennifer Aniston, "She Bores Me, Her Movies are Stupid."

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Mar 9, 2011.

1. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Her romantic comedies all look the same, and although she always looks fantastic, she always looks the same.

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

How about Nicolas Cage? :shuffle:

Isn't that how 99 percent of magazine profiles are done? :)

Oh, Rex, WHAT am I going to do with you?? :drama:

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Of course they are. But it's the promoting of the illusion of a 'tini-fueled chat between two girls that bothers me, if only because it assumes the reading audience is stupid enough to believe this.

4. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

If I did 5 hours of yoga a day, had a chef, driver, cook, trainer, I'd look like that too. But I don't cuz I can't...oh and i need a stylist and hairdresser!

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  5. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

i think there's a misconception about how "bad" her movies do, probably because of the constant perpetuation of it by the media who has an endless fascination with her. while they aren't blockbusters, they don't cost that much to make and they consistently make enough money (at the box office + dvds) so as to make it profitable for the studios. Forbes consistently ranks her as one of the most profitable investments for studios. that's why she gets hired, and that's why she always seems like she has a new movie out every three months.

i neither get the extreme hatred or extreme adoration. she seems like a nice enough person, and there's never been a bad word written or said about her among the hollywood circles or people she's worked with. that can't be said about her "peers" like julia roberts, reese witherspoon, katherine heigl, etc. yet she just chooses to do the most banal movies.

i get that she loves to do comedies, and doesn't really get excited by doing dramatic roles. but she could probably do more indie-type comedies with directors like wes anderson, or PT anderson rather than an endless string of lame rom-coms.

6. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Me too!
    I also don't have strong feelings about Jennifer. I do think it is funny that when she was married to Pitt she was in her thirties and talking about being a young mother .. ah Jen, young mothers are 21 not 31. Not that 31 isn't a fine age to have a baby, but it is not "young." Now she is still talking about babies at 42. Really, unless she adopting, she is pushing the envelope a bit IMHO.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I've always liked Jennifer Aniston, she seems really nice and quite down to earth. I haven't cared for her movies but they are the type of movie I can turn on while sitting on the couch on a rainy Sunday. Even if I catch the movie 30 minutes in I wont miss much and can just enjoy the rest.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Hmm, would I want to be 42, looks amazing but single, make movies that are critically hated and most are stinkers, OR do I want to be 35, look unhealthy skinny at times but has a trophy-talented husband, have kids, have an Oscar, is respected as an actress when doing dramatic work, can open kick-ass movies, and is greatly admired for humanitarian works ? Tough choice.

I like Jenn. She tried to break out of her normal roles before, but those movies didn't do well. Might as well as stick to the type of roles that Hollywood only wants to hire you for and make as much money as you can.

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:mad: Bangkok Dangerous is a Classic! A Classic, I tell you!

Is it any consolation that
    , eh who cares, Cage dies in most of his movies? :D

10. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Plus the plastic surgery! She's admitted to nose jobs, but if you look at her face in early Friends to later Friends, yeah, she's had more than a nose job.

As for the hairdresser, she made the studio pay $10,000 for a hairstylist to go on promotion with her in Europe (she 'needed' that one). Her hairstyle that promo tour: down and straight. Seriously?

I've never liked her. She was always my least favourite on Friends, and she just plain out annoys the heck out of me.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Also, if she really hated being constantly reminded of her super-famous ex, she could afford to pull a Greta Garbo and retire.

But as for Joan, could it also have to do with Rivers hating Chelsea Handler, and Handler being a BFF to Aniston. Meh, who cares? :blah:

12. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I agree Jen is boring as far as movie stars go but I like her. Hanging out with the drama queens wouldn't be for me but I could see hanging out with Jen. And I'd bet Jen can snark with the best of them if you got her going on FSU.

13. duane

duane New Member

High-5 to Joan in regards to Jennifer Aniston. And, I don't think she could ever carry a movie alone. She needs a box-office costar or a cast of many for anyone to be interested in her boring movies.

In regards to who looks better...IMO Jolie by far (even with the flock of kids, smelly husband, and her humanitarian works).

14. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

The recent Aniston bashing surprises me. Didn't Rupert Everett(?) diss her recently?

What's ups with it?

Although I don't care about her much, why now? I think she's decent.

15. Civic

Civic New Member

She and her hair have a lot to answer for, imo. She made the "long, straight hair with center part" look fashionable and as a result, way too many wear it long past the time when they should opt for a shorter style. Yes, Sharon Case (a.k.a. Sharon Newman on The Young And The Restless), I'm talking about you.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She vants to make meeediocre films.
    :watch: Why does Joan hate Chelsea? I used to like Chelsea, but she's been really, really getting on my nerves lately. She and Jen should be friends - Aniston can't act and Handler can't tell jokes.

Honestly IMO? Neither. Jolie has a more interesting face, but she has never had a great body. Look at her nude scenes in Gia; trust me, she was decidedly NOT built like Gia Carangi!!!

17. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

:respec:

18. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Maybe they are too similar to like each other.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/04/joan-rivers-on-her-new-sh_n_250689.html

http://tvsnark.wordpress.com/2009/12/02/philadelphia-style-magazine-chelsea-handler-interview/

19. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Joan. I don't get the Jenn A love. She's bland.

20. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I find her to be the dullest actress out there. Rachel was probably my least favorite character on Friends(and I wasn't crazy about that show to begin with) and I never understood what the fuss was over (other than that hairstyle from 1995 or so )

21. duane

duane New Member

Funny, but I don't have any idea of what either of their bodies look like! I definitely think Jolie has the better face. I find nothing interesting or unique about Aniston's face.

22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Yes, but Debbie had talent... :lynch:

23. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I like Jennifer Anniston but in her movies,she has pretty much played the same person just a different name in a different movie.I think she needs to re-invent herself and do something different.If she really has any talent in acting outside of comedy...prove it.

I find some of Joan's comments on Fashion Police funny.The plastic surgery...not so much.

24. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

Well, she's already said that she much prefers to do comedy, probably because she knows her limits as an actress. I don't see why she needs to "prove" herself in dramas if she doesn't want to or why doing dramas are better barometer for talent, which is so subjective. Someone once said pulling off good comedy is harder than pulling off good drama. That said, jennifer should just start with focusing on good comedy before diving into drama. :lol:

Tina Fey is a goddess (and obviously infinitely more talented), but you're not going to see her doing anything other than comedy.

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Her hairstyles go a long way in covering up her shortcomings.

26. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

This is why I like her too. I don't mind her movies.. I thought Office Space was quite humorous, but I guess that wasn't really "her" movie. I guess she's like most of the Friends crew and does better in an ensemble cast.

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You never know. It depends on how ambitious she is about her acting career. Will Ferrel had some success stepping out of his familiar funny man role. Even Adam Sandler had garnered good reviews when he attempted more serious fares.

---

I don't even know why what Joan Rivers say should have much of an impact on anyone anyway. Her modus operandi is to knock celebrities down in the name of "comedy". A lot of people find her brand of mean spirited humor to be "stupid". I'm sure Aniston is not losing any sleep over it.

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

But Joan is an authority on boring. Melissa is also freaky dull.

29. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of chick flicks, so I can't tell a good Jennifer Aniston movie from a bad one. They're all the same to me.

I'm with the poster upthread who says Brad Pitt needs a shower and a shave. He's supposed to be an A-list movie star, not the bass player for some 1990s grunge band. Dirty is not sexy. Not that kind of dirty anyhow.

As for Ms. Jolie, I liked her better ten years ago when she was batsht crazy. But some people are REALLY into this Jolie vs. Aniston thing. I don't know how many years it has been-- at least 5, judging by the age of the eldest biological Jolie-Pitt offspring-- but some Aniston fans are definitely not over it. You'd think Angelina Jolie had run off with these fans' own husbands, the way they were carrying on.

BTW, I caught the end of this horrific reality show on TLC where parents throw their kids outlandishly expensive birthday parties. The featured child on this particular episode was a screaming little spoiled brat named Aniston. Then I remembered seeing a different but equally unlikable spoiled brat named Aniston on "Toddlers and Tiaras." (My nieces made me watch that show.) Has this become a trendy name or is it just a coincidence that there were two kids named Aniston on two different TLC reality shows?

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I don't suppose those brats real names are Anistonopolous like Jennifer's is