Joan Rivers Not Apologizing for Holocaust Joke On E! Fashion Police

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Feb 28, 2013.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Yes, actually. It still makes me cringe because I was raised that that is a nasty word that no decent person uses. But people have the right to call themselves that they want.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'll get the Preparation H.

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I thought that Jewish people were all about self-deprecating humour. The worst holocaust jokes that I heard came from my Jewish friends.

Yes, I do. I am all for reclaiming the insults. I am gay and I use the word faggot a lot. But you're not allowed to use it. :p

Well, I do understand that it's very problematic and very likely counter-productive but for me it's about refusal to be bullied by homophobes.

4. madm

madm Active Member

Just listen to any comedy routine by Chris Rock. He uses every black racial slur in the book, and while his style of humor is not for everyone, he certainly has the right to say what he does. I think he makes fun of blacks and whites equally.

5. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

When I think of people whose aesthetic opinions would carry weight, Joan Rivers does not come to mind.

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Joan Rivers is soooo last decade.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Not according to ratings. "Fashion police" is on an "upward trajectory."

8. milanessa

Among a certain viewing faction. The same folk that buy the Enquirer, IME.

9. equatorial

equatorial Well-Known Member

I buy the Enquirer :shuffle:

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The Enquirer is struggling, unlike Fashion Police.

11. milanessa

So does my mother. :)

12. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I have never bought the Enquirer in my life. Neither has my mother. :p

I never miss Fashion Police, own Joan's documentary, and even travelled to Ottawa to see her live last year. :shuffle:

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  13. milanessa

Good for you. Do what you love. :)

14. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I guess you either like her or you don't. Joan has been satirical from the very beginning of her career as a comedian, and she's not going to change now. :)

15. MacMadame

But that could mean 3 more people watched it this week than last week. ;)

But the world has changed. If your humor doesn't change, you turn into a fossil and become irrelevant.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Very true! I totally agree with you. :)

17. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Joan is just as she has always been, totally tasteless.

However, I didn't think her Oscar show this year flowed, she was static, forced.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It has been setting records in ratings and has extended its duration time. You really think TV PTB are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts or just because 3 more people are watching? I know you really want it to be unpopular but it's just not the case. :p

19. MacMadame

Oh good grief. I was poking fun at the network. I actually don't give a shit one way or another how popular the show is or if Joan Rivers jokes about the Holocaust (as I said in this thread-- she's Jewish, it's her history and therefore her prerogative to joke if she wants to).

Though now that you bring it up... I think the self-congratulatory BS that networks put out about their shows is both funny and stupid at the same time. Like "upward trajectory" because the actual numbers on shows that are on tiny cable networks are minuscule compared to a bigger network so they don't want to list them. Or CBS labeling all their shows #1. The #1 this. The #1 that. The #1 new show that's on Tuesdays in the Winter and stars two guys, but not 1 guy and 1 gal or 2 gals. :lol:

Anyway, I've never really found Joan to be all that funny. I like comedians like Craig Ferguson who cracks me up every time I make myself stay up late enough to watch his show. And what little I've seen of Russell Brand. For old-school, I like Monty Python. Hmm. Those are all from the British Isles. I guess I like dry humor and black humor. Oh and Stephen Cobert.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

As mentioned, shows don't usually get extended from 30 min to an hour if their numbers are miniscule. And the actual numbers were listed. :confused:

About Stephen Colbert--his Occupy segments had me in stitches. :rofl:

21. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

I recently downloaded Joan Rivers' "Don't Start With Me" album off iTunes. I know that Joan's comedy styles are not to everyone's tastes, but I laughed. $9.99 well spent.

22. MacMadame

Oh FP is HUGE for E! But not for the broadcast networks. I mean the media is moaning all over the place that that AI is in trouble with it's 12.5 million viewers while Fashion Police seems to be in the 3-4 million from what I can tell. But clearly that's good for FP even though 4x that is bad for AI.

Anyway, I'm sorry if the fact that I found "upward trajectory" to be an amusing phrase and decided to poke fun at it as clearly that has offended you in some way.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

How could you ever offend with your ever-so-refined black/dry/British humor? :saint:

FP has over 4 million viewers each week and if the total for AI is 12.5, that's huge.

24. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Can you imagine Joan commentating a skating competition. If she does, I hope John Baldwin comes back to compete in that event. She could go to town.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  25. MacMadame

Russell Brand is refined? :rofl:

As far as I can tell (reporting of ratings is sketchy), The Walking Dead has numbers close to AI but the next cable show down is about half that. I remember when cable shows were lucky to get a million viewers though. Times sure do change!

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:rofl:

27. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I don't think Joan gets a pass because she is a Jew. And, no, one could not "laugh themselves out of a concentration camp". There is just not a damn thing funny about the horror of the situation.

And the remark (I can't even call it a joke) is pretty offensive to Heidi.

I think the problem with the remark is that "hot" is a positive thing. Germans burning Jews, not so much.

And Joan gets lots more publicity by being controversial than polite.

28. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ :respec: I used to like Joan's brand of comedy, but she doesn't get a pass from me, either.

29. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I did - very interesting film, kind of sad. From what I understand that all comedians are insecure, she fits the mold. She feels the need to keep working, afraid of not working again. She mentioned Edgar and you can tell she really misses him.

And love all the Melissa comments. Joan sure does want to get her a career.
    I saw Joan in Vegas in the mid 80s - she was pretty funny. I do watch Fashion Police after big events like the Oscars and she seems meaner, and not as funny. Giuliana's and Kelly's reactions on FP can be pretty funny though.

30. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

… and then there are “some folk” who read Enquirer to laugh and to keep track of what “some other folk they want to avoid” are reading… :D

Get 2. One for beneath the tail-bone, the other for beneath the nose-bone.

I, my family and friends, all detest her. She is a vulgar shtetl-mouth, typical mother-of-a-JAP and the worst-of-Catskill borscht-belt dressed and behaved creature. Her daughter is a useless dud, unattractive and untalented.

On the other hand… Joan Rivers maybe the wisest, smartest, cleverest of creatures who is laughing all the way to the bank while making millions on catering to the tastes of the lowest common denominator (translation: average US audience).

On the other hand… I don’t have much respect for such method of making money… There is a decent elegant interesting way to be a Jewish comedian: Mel Brooks, Jerry Lewis, Victor Borge, Woody Allen, Milton Berle, Bette Midler, and more.

Creatures like Sacha Baron Cohen, Larry David, Don Rickles, and the named Joan Rivers, are not better than Benny Hill-in-variations, and degrade the concept of clever Jewish humor.

On the other hand…. That does not mean River’s joke-in-question in offensive to the Jews. Holocaust is over, nobody is likely to be allowed to forget it for centuries to come, and the next generations of Jews are doing better en-mass than many other ethnic groups which were the “master group” in the countries where these Jews came from.

One camp survivor from Osventzem put out a dance videos “I will survive”.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFzNBzKTS4I

If anything River’s is offensive to Germans. But those poor 3rd and 4th apre-war generation creatures have been beaten into submission to dare to complain about such matters… Poor things… Today they even allow Russians to parody the Conquest of Berlin right under the Brandenburg Gates and display Allied Forces Soldiers in full uniforms.... (disgusting!)
    http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/62892826.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markturner/4010161050/

http://fendersharks.com/berlin_cities.jpg

What I don’t like about River’s joke is that it is historically inaccurate on both main counts.

a) There have been MANY HOT Germans besides Heidi Klum in 20th and 21st century: Marlene Dietrich, Hanna Schygulla, Claudia Shiffer, Hanne Bruning, Julia Stegner, Lynn Rage, and many more.

b) The Germans themselves never got HOT next to the ovens. They had selected young healthy jewish camp prisoners called Sonderkommando do the dirty jobs around the ovens.

I don’t know why I am so bothered by the criticism of River’s joke. I don’t like Rivers, I don’t like the joke… but I HATE mindless political correctness washed into the minds of so many Americans…. It’s beginning to feel no different than political correctness of the Soviet Union or any totalitarian regime..