Joan Rivers Not Apologizing for Holocaust Joke On E! Fashion Police

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Joan Rivers refusing to apologize for the Holocaust joke she made on the E! Fashion Police review:

I'll admit I was shocked that she made it. But I'm not Jewish, I cannot say she didn't have a right to say it? If that makes sense.
    If I were Jewish, personally, I would not have said it, but Joan loves to shock. I remember reading a bio on Richard Pryor released after he burned himself freebasing, and they interviewed Joan. She loved Richard. But she said something I found shocking, considering I had been reading Anne Frank's diary. She said that she could laugh her way out of a concentration camp.

Was she wrong?

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think the jokes are more tasteless than Joan River's usual tasteless jokes. I personally don't find her to be good at all. If she was a brilliant comic then she wouldn't need to resort to the lowest common denominator for laugh.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I would have never said anything like that but I think that the fact Rivers is Jewish herself means she can get away with it. I don't think she has anything to apologise for, to be honest.

4. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

No. She doesn't get a pass for being Jewish. It would have been stupid and offensive no matter who said it. For that matter it was unfair to Heidi and present-day Germans.

And no I'm not a prig. I thought 'we saw your boobs' was sort of funny.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ziggy got it right IMO: I wasn't offended mostly because she is Jewish. And because it's her thing to shock. Le shrug. Perhaps it's my Russian cultural background--we laugh at the most horrible things.

Since PRLady mentioned, "We Saw Your Boobs" is such an earworm! Must be MacFarlane's fine singing.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

"Shocking" humor like Joan's can be hit or miss.

7. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

But will she be apologizing for not being funny? And inflicting her face on the world (though I think she does joke about her bad plastic surgery already)?

8. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Honestly, this sounds like something she might have said on the Tonight Show 30 years ago.

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

she can keep her holocaust joke, im waiting for an apology for refusing to accept that she cant make melissa happen

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Melissa hasn't been around Fashion Police. Is she trying to make her happen elsewhere? And Joan's jokes about her face/herself were almost back to back last Monday.

11. my little pony

melissa exec produces fashion police, according to melissa anyway

12. duane

duane New Member

I agree.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, at least she is behind the scenes.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:EVILLE:
    There is a Gawd, Miz Celie, There IS a GAWD!

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Isn't there some reality show with Melissa and Joan? I've never seen it, but I heard Joan doing some promo for it recently.

16. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I thought she was especially annoying this particular show (have I just been blind?). But when she said that "joke", my immediate reaction: Not.Funny. At all.

17. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

She was stumbling a lot with her jokes on Fashion Police, actually had to explain one of them after messing up the punchline. I think she's just trying to top herself and go for more shocking comments. But, it's Joan. To her, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

18. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen that documentary on Joan? I loved it...it's called "Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work."

19. my little pony

yes. i'm told it is in season 3 but i have never actually stumbled upon it. it is on WE which says a lot.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have seen the preview for Joan's "reality" show and it looks far more scripted than even the most scripted of reality shows. All the scenes were clearly set up and I would even go so far as to say they had actors.

21. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Yes I saw her documentary. What a woman. I love her and if anyone gets offended by Joan (to the point of bringing up how offended they were) they obviously don't know Joan's humour. Personally I get more offended by watching the stupid news readers at Fox.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  22. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I am a Jew from Russia, with every member of the family being a victim in one way or the other of WWII, Babii-Yar, Holocaust, and Leningrad Siege... I am fine with this joke, on behalf of my family and other Jews. The more I think and hear about Holocaust and last 3500+ years of Jewish struggle - the better I do in life and the more effort I put into accomplishments.

On the other hand - Poor Heidi.. She is the "good German" who went out of her way to marry every ethnic minority she could find, and the uglier the better...:D

But on the other hand..... while I think Germany is the best and most functional country in the EU today, I LOVE IT when someone still "sticks it" to the Germans... "You started it!"... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

Louis and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I did find joke offensive. Plus, it was not very funny. Joan Rivers can do better than that. The pun on hot didn't work IMO.

I found the boobs song offensive, too. So many movies include a mandatory gratuitous boob shot in the mandatory sex scene. And the more an actress gets paid, the more choice she has about nudity.

Good for Jennifer Lawrence, though, when she shook a fist at the line 'we haven't seen Jennifer Lawrence's boobs at all'.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Um, Japanfan, Jennifer Lawrence's and other actresses' reactions were pre-taped. As in, they were in on the joke. And Jennifer Lawrence pumped her fist, not shook it.

This is what she had to say about the song:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  25. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Do you also think a black person in the USA has the "right" to use the n-word "because they're black"?

26. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I found it tacky even from Joan, but I blame that on my being Russian and Jewish.

I appreciate much of what Rivers has done and the doors she opened, but I don't offer her a free pass.

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

They don't. Being a black person myself, I cringe when I hear other blacks use the word. But no one is off the hook for using it, even if they hear "other blacks" saying the word.

I guess Joan has always shocked people. Thank God they didn't let her use that Michelle Obama joke. I also remember her getting booed for making jokes about Karen Carpenter after she died.

I briefly dated one of Melissa's professors at UofP. He said she was a nasty piece of work - very bitter, slightly paranoid and was quite angry at Edgar for killing himself. But some of the funniest comedians are not pleasant people to deal with when the cameras are off. Joan's not really much different.

28. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I used to like Joan Rivers. I found her edgy humour funny and I share her interest in jewellery, particularly its history. I watched the Fashion Police show and found her humour very stale. If you want edgy, Tinami Amori's comment on Heidi Klum fits the bill! Joan should have taken that joke! I found there was very little to laugh at during either Joan's show or the Academy Awards. The so-called "humour" was, to me, just nasty snark. Sadly, that is what passes for humour in our culture these days. There is no way that Ellen D. could host the Oscars again; her humour would be considered boring because she doesn't bash people. I'm so grateful for Big Bang Theory and 30 Rock where the humour is more sophisticated.

29. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Tinami's back! :cheer:

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A lot of Joan's "jokes" should be classified as bullying by today's standard of what constitute bullying, but because she's a comedienne she get a pass for it. Her brand of humor is all about being nasty and mean-spirited. Anyone today can get onto the stage and get laugh by simply uttering the F word.