JK Rowling's Pottermore

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FigureSpins, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

Are the e books going to be able to be downloaded to Kindle?

2. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Wheee, I finally got into Pottermore tonight. And I got sorted into Slytherin! :cheer: I completely stink at brewing potions though, so other Slytherins might not be too happy that I'm in their house.

3. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I'm with you, i just want the books on my kindle. I stopped reading after the 4th? I think,nand now I'm not until they are ebooks. Grrrr

4. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Mini-Mac is a Slytherin too. I'm not sure what that says about my parenting though.

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Just ask us - we'll tell you. :D

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Okay, I got in yesterday. Still haven't been sorted yet, and it keeps telling me to come back later as they are restricting access. :(

7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

OMG what if I'm not Griffindore? I'll die. Ravenclaw might be OK, but Slytherin or Hufflepuff? Oh, the inhumanity.

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Tip: Only collect the things you really need prior to being sorted. If you go back and grab them after the sorting, you earn house points for found money and such.

My kids are working their way up to the sorting hat. If they get Griffindor, they're going to trade accounts with me (because it's permanent) - they'd rather be in Slytherin. (First time EVAH that I wasn't put in Griffindor!)

Facebook rumor says that there's a bug in Pottermore and most of the people sorted this month ended up in SLYTHERIN (not Griffindor). Supposedly, someone's been keeping tabs on the house head counts, but it could be just sour grapes.

Edited to correct typo - wireless keyboard needs new batteries!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

If I'm a Gryiffindor, I'm getting on the train and going back home. :scream:

Ravenclaw or Slytherin for me!!

10. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Let me know and I'll trade with you, lol. I meant to type "Slytherin" but got distracted by this @#$%^& keyboard and wrote "Griffindor" by mistake.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Gryffindor. It is spelled Gryffindor.

12. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I'm disappointed that I missed the beta. I didn't pay enough attention to what it was about, so I didn't sign up. Now that I see the fun folks are having, I'm feeling very much like a muggle. :drama:

13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Wait a few days and you too can enter the Wizarding World of Pottermore. My kids' email only came a few days ago, so all the online stalking I did wasn't really necessary. At this late stage, there are no real bugs to be worked out, other than traffic issues.

I suspect, however, that the system will be overwhelmed by traffic for the first week, at least. Pottermore has often had the "too many people" problem. They've underestimated demand throughout this whole launch, so I wouldn't expect someone to wave a magic wand and make that problem disappear.

ETA: I know it's Gryffindor, but it was late at night and now I can't make the correction.

14. rfisher

Don't be sad. I'm still in Muggle clothing as well. But, I'd better get that red and gold or I'll be :wuzrobbed

15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Since I like swimming and skating, I obviously like water, so I answered all of the sorting questions related to water in a positive way.
    The Slytherin common room is underwater...word to the wise: AIR!

I think the house:element breakout is: Gryffindor:Fire, Slytherin:Water, Hufflepuff:Earth, Ravenclaw:Air.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  16. CynicElle

I probably shouldn't admit that I spent a good bit of time the other day going through angsty YouTube videos from people who were totally :drama: because they didn't get sorted into the House they wanted. :lol:

Honestly, though, don't feel too bad if you didn't get early access. The site's been down more than it's been up this week, and even when it's up, there's not that much to do once you've been sorted and gone through all the chapters. (I do love the extra notes from JK Rowling and the artwork on the chapters.) Brewing potions is the only way to earn house points and it's beyond :mad: -- you have to wait more than an hour for them to brew and more often than not, they don't work and you have to start all over again. Maybe it'll be more fun when they get wizarding duels working again, although I can't imagine how that's going to work when the site clearly can't handle the traffic it's getting now.

But that being said, if you're in Pottermore and want to add me, I'm VineNox187.

17. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Me too. Oh well... at least now I know how to influence the sorting a little, so when the time comes when us mere Muggles are allowed in, we'll be ready. Although I'm curious to see what I'd be if I didn't throw the sorting. If liking water makes one a Slytherin, I guess that's what I'd be. So we'll see.

18. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Well, once you've collected all the herbs, galleons, chocolate frog cards, etc. potions are the only way to earn points until they manage to get the duels back online.

That's why I said to only collect the things you need before the sorting, because you can go back to the earlier chapters and earn points for collecting those items. For example, you NEED to find your shopping list and buy the things that are on it to finish that chapter and get to Hogwarts to be sorted. You can always go back to the Hogwarts Express chapter to pick up Dumbledore's CF card and get a point or two. If you collect the card when you are on the train, pre-sorting, you get no points.

That's the advantage of NOT being in the Beta test: you get the benefit of others' experiences. (Okay, it's cheating, but it's strategic cheating.)

ITA - I've been underwhelmed by the planning for internet traffic at every step of this project.

Let me know - I'm sure it's a combination of the answers you give - I think there are 10 questions in total and three of them made me think of water.

ETA: DD is my roomie in Slytherin, lol.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  19. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Hooray! I'm in Ravenclaw!

Although I actually got a choice between that and Hufflepuff. Is that normal? I liked Hufflepuff, but in the end went with Ravenclaw by the slimmest margin: the description of their common room in Book 7. LOL I'm a sucker for a view.

20. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I checked out of curiosity earlier this week and got that "overwhelming traffic" message too. Then when it finally came up I saw it wasn't open to the public yet.

If this is just those who found the magic quill, I don't know how the servers are going to deal with a general opening. :yikes:

21. CynicElle

Oooh, you got a Hatstall. Some people get that if the sorting hat can't decide between two houses.

22. rfisher

I don't think the Slytherins necessarily *like* water. It's that their common room is in a dungeon under the lake.

23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Well, Salazar liked water - his Chamber of Secrets involved water and the entrance was in a loo.

When Harry and Ron visit the Slytherin Common Room (CoS), it's described as being in an underground chamber with stone walls. No mention of the underwater windows that are found in the Pottermore version. I don't remember reading anything in the books that said it was "under the lake." The Chamber, yes, but nothing about the Common Room. Do you remember which book contained that information?

I do think the Pottermore houses are based on elements and water = Slytherin.

24. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

It's in Chamber of Secrets when Harry and Ron use Polyjuice Potion to enter the Slytherin Common Room as Crabbe and Goyle; the green light/glow is explained by being under the lake. Harry also reiterates the description in Deathly Hallows to the Snatchers when posing as "Vernon Dudley".

25. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Nope, not in the US edition. The entrance is in the dungeons, with the door set into a blank stone wall. The only interior description is this:

"The Slytherin common room was a long, low underground room with rough stone walls and ceiling from which round, greenish lamps were hanging on chains."

However, JK Rowling revealed this in a 2005 Mugglenet/Leaky Cauldron interview:

"It is the tradition to have four houses, but in this case, I wanted them to correspond roughly to the four elements. So Gryffindor is fire, Ravenclaw is air, Hufflepuff is earth, and Slytherin is water, hence the fact that their common room is under the lake."

I guessed wrong about the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor elements in my previous post, sorry.

The Chamber of Secrets is described as being a "gloomy, green" color - maybe that's what you're thinking of?

26. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Bad news - Pottermore is extending the Beta period through the end of October. Muggles who want to register might have to wait weeks or months to get access when it does open up to the public. The store doesn't open until 2012.

http://insider.pottermore.com/2011/09/beta-and-beyond.html

I think they underestimated the scope of this project and just can't get the resources / bug fixes into place fast enough without throwing galleons and galleons at the problems.

27. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Aha, okay, a Muggle I shall remain until the end of October. At least I'm not a Squib...I don't think I am, anyway. :yikes:

(This from the person who refused to read the books, finally caved after 7 came out, tore through all 7, and, well, yeah.) :slinkaway

28. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Mischief Managed!

29. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Now OPEN to the public for registration! :cheer:

Once I have access, 'anything but Slytherin.' Here's hoping I like the house they sort me into.

30. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Ravenclaw. I was sorted into Ravenclaw.:cool:

And my wand is 10 3/4 sycamore with phoenix feather core.

It's a cool site, actually, and the commentary from JK Rowling giving background info is interesting. I can see I will spend far too much time here. It should have come out AFTER tax time!