JK Rowling's Pottermore

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FigureSpins, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Anybody else had real problems with the gnome-throwing? It's all my parents' fault - we never had xbox, gameboy, playstation or any of that stuff at home. It's a serious disadvantage with challenges like these.

But I mangaged :p - loved the Malfoy backstory.
    Especially the part where they still married halfbloods, because too much intermarrying causes instability - so very Malfoy - yes, we are pureblood through and through - but only to the point where it doesn't threaten the family genome.

2. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Got to move through the chapters and do everything in order before you get sorted at that appropriate point in the chapter. Have fun!

3. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I finally managed it after several tries. Keep holding down the mouse button until the gnome swings around a few times and gets faster. Release it when it's swinging to the right towards the hedge.

If you release too soon, though, you'll send it right into the hedge. I drowned a few in the pond. :/

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What's gnome throwing and where does one get to do it? Also wondering when they are going to cough up book 2 already? :rolleyes:

5. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Gnome throwing is in one of the chapters of book 2. They area allowing Slytherins to preview the first few chapters early. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh yeah, since they won the first round. Congrats! When is Book 2 going to be open to the rest of the Houses?

7. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I think the first four chapters are open to everyone now.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, can't wait to check them out at home! :)

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Waaaaaaaaaah! I suck at gnome-throwing. Collected some flowers, nettles and Every Flavor Beans so far.

ETA: Finally threw the required number of gnomes to continue. :shuffle:

The Malfoy backstory is entertaining:
    Though hotly denied by subsequent generations, there is ample evidence to suggest that the first Lucius Malfoy was an unsuccessful aspirant to the hand of Elizabeth I, and some wizarding historians allege that the Queen's subsequent opposition to marriage was due to a jinx placed upon her by the thwarted Malfoy.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  10. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Yes, they're open to everyone, I'm in Hufflepuff.

11. Simka

Simka Member

I'm a Hufflepuff! My wand is cypress with a phoenix feather core, 11 3/4", hard.

Is anyone here named VineNox187, a Slytherin? They have sent me a friend request.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

CynicElle is VineNox187. :)

13. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I can't get those damn gnomes. Did a little better with the advice earlier in the thread and managed three on one try. Ugh. I've now informed my husband that I may make him try. Answer: "Now what is this again and why do you HAVE to do it?" :lol:

14. Simka

Simka Member

Thanks, IceAlisa!

15. CynicElle

Yep, that was me! I don't know how to link to specific messages, but back on page 21 of this thread, there's a list of all the FSU Pottermore players.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

PDilemma, Kruss' advice worked really well for me. Once I tried it, the gnomes flew. Just make sure the gnomes face the hedge when you let go.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Here are the objects I collected from the CoS chapters available so far:
    Ch.1
    The Magic Word

Flowers from the flower pot
    Honey from the kitchen

Enormous Green Eyes

Garden shears
    A plant, but forgot which

Nothing in Ch.2 (what am I missing)

Nothing in Ch.3, Dobby the House elf

Harry's escape

A whole bunch of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor beans scattered all over the room

Nothing in the Episode The Weasleys. or the Gnome one.

Chapter 4

Letters from school
    The shopping list

Floo powder
    Floo powder
    Fire tongs
    A few books

Borgin and Burkes

5 galleons out of the cash register--felt really weird like stealing :bribe: for real.
    mask off the wall

Lucius Malfoy

Dried nettles
    A couple of books

18. mkats

mkats New Member

I can't pick up the mask; I can get to the "hooray you found a mask!" but it won't let me click on "collect".

The site on a whole is running extremely slowly right now. I'll have to wait until I can get back to the US and play on a reliable internet connection :drama:

19. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, AmyL! :) I was missing:
    rose thorns, horklump juice and hairpin. I actually forgot to mention all the other items I collected.
    :duh:

So I went book shopping and only got Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 but am not feeling all these expensive Gilderoy Lockhart books. :shuffle:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  21. PDilemma

Finally got them!! I am absurdly excited by this! :lol:

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I know, right? :lol:

23. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

PDilemma and IceAlisa, so glad it worked for you. :)

24. PDilemma

Thank you for the hints. I never would have got past that in my life without it! Quite unskilled at things like that.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Me too, if it weren't for Kruss, I'd still be trying to throw gnomes and :wall:. Thanks again! :)

Any word when Ch. 5 will be available? I can't wait to brew new potions, provided book 2 gives us potions to brew--I think Polyjuice is definitely warranted. I just hope it doesn't take a whole actual month to brew it.

26. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

As is probably shocking to NO ONE, I am a proud Slytherin. Sssssssssssss.

I'm a horrible Slytherin; I can't make the cure for boils. :wuzrobbed Course, I am a Slytherin, so I should be more about the giving of curses than taking them away. :drama: I need help from some goody two-shoes Hufflepuff.

I'm AccioDawn28899 My wand is a Dogwood with a Phoenix Feather and "surprisingly swishy." Why, yes, I did giggle like a seventh grade boy.

27. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Not only do they release too soon, they LAUGH at you. I'll show them. I'm a pureblood. Well, OK, I'll make baseless threats and hope some random Death Eater will back them up, but I'll sneer really, really hard. Or make a potion. I've only broken one cauldron today. :shuffle:

This is why I can't play video games. I'm too invested. I'm trying to sneak playing this at work. Do you know how hard it is to de-gnome while writing a press release?

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The gnomes laugh? I thought they kind of sink listlessly into the pond. You've come a long way, Matry, in such a short time. :eek: You've just been sorted and you are already de-gnoming! :eek:

I am MidnightGlow21201, btw.

29. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I just signed up for this - I finally got around to re-read the first 3.5 books ( where I stopped years ago), and just started book 5.

Enjoying them, so I thought I would sign up - I am FlightAuror18821. Tryingto figure out how it all works :)

30. CynicElle

Have fun! I sent you a friend request.