JK Rowling's Pottermore

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FigureSpins, Aug 6, 2011.

1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I blew up my second cauldron the first time I tried to make the Sleeping Draught...BUT I tried it again and nailed it! 11 house points. :D I like doing potions though I admit, I felt a lot like Neville when I got started.

I agree about dueling. I was using the Tongue Tying spell until I realized the Body Bind curse is not only easier but more powerful. Now I'm winning a bit more frequently, which is cool but it would be cool if there was a bit more to it than picking the same spell over and over. Maybe like if when you go in to duel, the game randomly chooses 3 spells for both casters and the best one wins...IDK.

It's still fun though. :)

2. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Any advantage on choosing a specific magical creature: Owl, Frog, etc? Or is it just personal preference?

3. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

No advantange that I know of, just your preference... but later in the game it becomes your avatar, so choose wisely.

P.D: I´m SunCharm68 and a Ravenclaw :cheer2:

4. Bostonfan

Another Ravenclaw here!

5. Bostonfan

I went on a shopping spree at the Apocathary shop. I've only just been sorted. :)

6. kwanatic

I've brewed all 6 potions! I'm on my way to being a potions master! :D

7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

So I'm subbing today. As a guest on the school network, I cannot get into gmail or any other email. I can't get into a couple of news sites that are blocked as "adult". I can't get into Golden Skate which is blocked as "spam". And of course, Facebook, etc...is all blocked.

But...I can get into Pottermore and peruse the chapters I already went through to collect more stuff!! :D

Probably some network admin is going to catch it and it will be blocked, soon.

8. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I am getting more and more aggrivated with the cure for boils potion. I am following the steps to the letter but keep getting the message telling me the potion is not done due to me doing the steps in the wrong order but I'm not!!!! The only thing is that sometimes my stirring doesn't register - how do you do that properly?

Oh and my name is OakMidnight16546

9. kwanatic

^^The best advice I'd give is don't rush too much. Don't add an ingredient unless the little counter has registered the number (ie. it says "Add 2 measures of standard ingredients, don't throw the second measure in until the first one has registered and the little number next to the mortar/cauldron says "1"). I did that with the horned slugs (for whichever potion it is); I dumped 4 in without paying attention to the number on the counter and thought I'd done it right but when I waved the wand it started smoking green and said I'd done it wrong.

For the stirring the cauldron, same thing. If the counter isn't registering it, it's probably not counting it. I'm PumpkinNewt5946...add me as a friend! I'd do it myself but the search for friends page doesn't load properly here at work...

10. Bostonfan

I'm still working on the cures for boils potions. Took me about 6 times because I was overcrushing the powder. Now that I have that figured out, it too gave me an error message about doing the 2nd half of the potion in the wrong order. I think I may have miscounted the stirs I did. Off to try again!

11. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I am defintely counting the ingredients correctly - I just cannot get the stirring down - I suspect if you 'miss' one it blows the count out and I have not gotten 5 in a row yet - I have tried all the tricks and I am finding out on the web but nothing seems to work for me!!! It is so damn frustrating!!!

12. Bostonfan

Finally did it! Lorac, when I was stirring, I got up to 3 and then it stopped counting for a moment, but I kept stirring and the counter resumed until I got to 5. Try that.

13. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

YYYYEESSSSS - finally - I have a cure for boils!!!!! (OMG - how pathetic am I!!)

14. Bostonfan

OK - I need help with the Alohomora spell. I see some letters, but others missing. I try clicking on the "A", then clicking twice when it glows in the circle, but then the letters drop and re-appear again. Help!

ETA: Disregard. I figured it out. Ironically I had to go into my spells section to practice another spell, and the instructions were a little clearer for some reason. So I went back and did Alohomora.

So friggin addictive :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  15. mkats

mkats New Member

PhD Chemist says (via text message at work, somebody's addicted!)

"What kind of alchemist puts a time limit on your work?? Steady chemistry is solid chemistry!"

Methinks somebody isn't faring too well in potions :rofl:

16. PDilemma

I finally made it through more than two steps but my potion failed because I didn't get the right temperature. How do you tell the temperature????

17. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I just press the "heat" (middle iirc?) button on the cauldron and it reaches the temp automatically - then you should see a timer so you know when the 10 seconds are up.

What took longest for me was figuring out how to add measures.

I do wish I could practice the other potions first too, oh well.

18. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

When are you supposed to stir the boil potion?

19. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Hannahclear, stir it after the three minute waiting period (which is step 6, I think?). I kept stirring it too early, which is why it took me forever to successfully make that one lol.

I'm still horrible at potions, totally stuck on the Forgetfulness Potion. The Lethe River Water tips over so easily and I can't set it down upright on the work table. So frustrating. :lol:

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:lol: Well, that makes the rest of us feel a little better. But only a little. He did make the boils one in 3 tries. :eek: My phone refused to log onto Pottermore today. Not that I would have attempted anything like brewing a potion on my phone. Tomorrow I will try another potion and also finally try those dueling spells.

21. Bostonfan

Maybe it's my browser, but did anyone get stuck on the potion puzzle? It tells me I must select the two right potions, but is stuck there.

22. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Soooo....does anyone want to duel someone who can only manage alohomora? Anyone? Hm?

...I should stick with potion making.

23. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

There is a logic puzzle on the right side of the potions. Click on it to read it.

24. PDilemma

Oh everyone is going to challenge you now. Except me. I can't manage any.

ETA: Finally got the cure for boils!!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  25. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I can't manage any either. Just was horribly defeated. :(

26. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Adding
    antmanb—LumosKey8758
    Bostonfan—StoneRose19105
    Citlali--SunCharm68
    galaxygirl--HollyOak29377
    jamesy—Fangshield3417
    lmarie086—WingLumos24131
    lorac--OakMidnight16546
    PRlady—gobletdream3854
    Scintillation--MidnightMagic29812
    wickedwitch—HexOwl31482
    zaphyre14—KnightOwl5950
    **brina--SilverBronze1352 (wasn't sure if you're using both accounts :) )

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:wuzrobbed Tried brewing the Awake-Wide Eye potion--ran out of time. It said heat on medium heat for 30 secs. So I tried doing that and it said I am out of time. I was pretty fast with the preceding steps, wrote them out rather than clicking on the page, did everything. Back to the apothecary for more ingredients cuz I just lost a bunch of stuff.

I have a feeling I will go broke with all these unsuccessful attempts to brew potions.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Pardon my double-posting but this is the tutorial for said potion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Q9BAmJ4k8

I did exactly what the video said but as the seconds counter appeared, so did another countdown and once that was over, I was out of time. I didn't take any longer than the video. I think I will time myself next time and see if this is a glitch.

ETA: I timed myself, I took less than two minutes to complete the heating and crushing and started transferring crushed snake fangs+standard ingredient to the cauldron when the countdown started. What's the total time that it takes to make this potion?

OK, I raced through the steps and am now in the 55 minutes brewing stage. I used the pewter cauldron because I understand the copper one is faster but harder to control. Since I don't seem to be able to control much in potions or spells, I went with the safer version for now.

THREE HOURS LATER..................

So. Speaking of glitches. I had to brew this thing twice more. Once because I clicked on the wand instead of woolfsbane twigs and it went and waved itself over the cauldron before all the woolfsbane was in. So that was my fault.

Second time I was done brewing and clicked on the line "This potion requires your attention". It started loading, then quit and took me to the cauldron page. My nearly ready potion was nowhere to be found. WTF? Not funny, site developers. May be I should wait until they get the bugs out.

At least I did stuff while it was brewing and didn't stare at the computer screen: gave Mini a bath, a snack and made sure he brushed his teeth before bed. Then I watched the top 6 ladies WTT SP. Not half bad. Then I discovered the Shibs' Facebook page and browsed through their photos. They are so cute, they make the potion failure less :wall:

Nonetheless, not happy with Pottermore right now.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

deleted

30. Bostonfan

Yay! I finished the book. Now I'm going to friend a bunch of you and then go through the whole thing more slowly to better learn my spells and potions.