1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JK Rowling's Pottermore

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FigureSpins, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

No, that part makes sense, I'm talking about the instructions on the left. How do I just add 1x Snake Fangs? And if I am doing it right, then why doesn't it work? Poo!

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Dang it! agalisgv, you're good!

I gotta work out how to time the spells better!

3. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Based on this thread alone, I just signed up. Your enthusiasm is infectious :) Can't wait until I'm up and running!

My name: StoneRose19105

4. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Aw, you didn't use the jelly legs :(. It's more powerful than the spell you used.

You pick which spell you like best, and challenge me on that. I'll just use that spell :)

5. kwanatic

When you add the snake fangs to the mortar and pestle thing, it's going to drop 3 in each time. So add that twice, and it will say there are 6 in the mortar (bowl). After you grind them up, click on the inside wall of mortar (not the pestle or you'll continue to grind them) and you'll see a pinch of powder. Add 4 pinches to the cauldron. It says 1x Snake Fangs but don't worry about that. Just go by the instructions/measurements...:)

6. kwanatic

Lol! I told you, I only have three spells (Flippendo, Incendio and the bogies hex). Don't worry, I'll go a bit farther along in the story so I can find some more spells. For now, let's go with incendio. That seems to be my fav right now...;)

7. agalisgv

8. kwanatic

Aaah! I finally got you! :D 121 to 120! Super close! Good duel. :)

Thanks for the practice! My aim is to get as good as you! 700+ points?! I gotta get my numbers up. Poor Hufflepuff needs it.

ETA: I think you're right about using the same spell. When you do, the scores are pretty close to each other. You just won one 118 to 117; that's pretty cool! OMG, I'm not going to get anything else done today. :lol:

9. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Whee! I was kind of bored with it during beta, but it's a lot more fun now that all the FSUers are arriving.

10. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I am better at dueling when I am standing and not sitting... Weird, but I regularly score 140+ on the body bind when I stand up and always <140 when I sit. Maybe it makes the hand a little faster...

11. kwanatic

Hey Hufflepuffs, check out the common room. I don't know if maybe I skipped over it yesterday, but there's a J.K. Rowling special entry about the Hufflepuff common room right under the listed Founder and Head Ghost.

Was that there yesterday? It only has 49 likes (including mine) so I'm guessing it was added rather recently...

12. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. I did my shopping and have my wand - larch with phoenix core, 14 1/2 inches long with slight springiness! Which according to Olivander's descriptions, actually fits me pretty well. :)

ETA: I got Gryffindor.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Three snake fangs per click, so you need a total of 2 clicks to add the required 6 fangs into the mortar. Once that's ground, it will become powder and you need to click/transfer 4 pinches/measures of the ground snake fangs into the cauldron. That's 1 measure per click and drag, so x 4. Hope it makes sense.

There's a counter on the left of the mortar which shows you if you've ground up the fangs enough. You should keep grinding until you get into the green zone. Similar counter/thermometer appears near the cauldron once you light it. Watch that temp range.

14. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Yes, everything that I've been told, I've been doing. I gave up for now. Can't figure it out.

15. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

I started a duel with agal last night and screwed up right away. I was on my laptop and I'm too slow with the key pad. Tonight I'm shifting to my PC and my mouse. That was my problem with potions. I couldn't drop the stupid snake fangs in the mortar. (I wrote down the instructions so that was no problem :D --I'm such a Hermionie. :shuffle: except I was sorted into Ravenclaw. Although, I'm pretty certain which answers on the sorting that will get me into Slytherin. I may reregister and give Slytherin a shot so I can emulate my teacher mentor Severus Snape. :EVILLE:

16. agalisgv

You could always duel instead :shuffle:

I sent you a challenge :EVILLE:

This is rather addicting :slinkaway

17. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I have to write two tests on Monday! I cannot be addicted. I cannot be addicted... And there is World Team Trophy, too. I am so screwed...

18. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

It was my computer that wouldn't let me register for some reason, the silly thing! But finally on!! Bad timing, with an exam and two group projects looming...

WingLumos24131

ETA: I'm already addicted. This is a problem, I have work in a half hour and I haven't even changed yet...Oops.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  19. IceAlisa

What does the pop-up window say that you did wrong when it tells you the potion failed?

Also, keep in mind, this could just be a site glitch.

20. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Um I was intrigued enough by this thread to join, and clearly I have a ways to go before I get to the exciting stuff.
    Question: Does every setting have something to click on/collect, or no? I'm in the zoo and I'm not getting anything. Hm.

21. agalisgv

The fun stuff to collect is generally after you've gone shopping at Diagon Alley.

22. IceAlisa

I don't think there's anything at the Zoo.

Spoilers of where to look for stuff
    Look on the train, library, the dorm and any new room/location at Hogwarts. Watch out for anything that blinks or wiggles or glows. I feel so weird picking up Galleons, feels like stealing.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Must not sign back in until I finish my taxes.

Must not sign back in until I finish my taxes.

24. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I just blew up my third cauldron. :lol: I allllllmost had the awakening potion right until I was picking up my second twig of wolfsbane but I accidentally clicked on my wand instead. I got so frustrated that I tried to rush through another batch... BOOM! Snape is going to resurrect himself just to kick me out of Slytherin! I'm down to 300-something galleons, so I need the Chamber of Secrets section of the website to open just to keep cauldrons in supply.

I haven't been able to duel all day. Since there's nothing else for me to do (except, ya know, real life...) I see more dead cauldrons in my future.

25. mkats

mkats New Member

Successfully brewed two potions today. :cheer:

I convinced my organic chemistry PhD friend to join as well. :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares with the potions.

New thought: Where are we (eventually) supposed to get more galleons besides picking up ones that people have left behind? Everyone in the book just lived off of their parents' funds. Can I pick up a shift on the Knight Bus or something? :rofl:

26. IceAlisa

Ouch, Amy L! I may have to try to brew more potions a bit later. May be on Friday.

I've been wondering how pottermore makes :bribe:. Any idea?
    :EVILLE: Let us know how your friend does.

That would be a great idea for the site developers. I think they can do even better than what we have so far.

27. agalisgv

Frugality is reality

BTW, Gryffindor is currently the House leader :D

28. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I think I read that we're supposed to get more Galleons when the second book is unlocked.

29. brina

brina Well-Known Member

Is anyone else getting an error page for dueling? It has been like that for me since last night... I created a whole new account to see if it would let me duel on that one (and got sorted into Slytherin again with a whole different set of questions... guess that makes me a true Slytherin :lol:) and that account does NOT bring up the error page.. hmm. It seems very strange.

30. IceAlisa

I have Slytherin as the House leader with 25,260,079 points
    Gryffindor with 24,569,381 points in 2nd
    Ravenclaw with 24,457,387 points in 3rd
    Hufflepuff with 21,675,123 points in 4th