Jesus Had a Wife?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Sep 19, 2012.

1. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Well, yes, if you're a non-believer. If you're a believer, it was all supposed to happen -- although there are so many versions of Christianity it's hard to discern what "it" is.l

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I would venture to say that he would not have expected the hate that religion creates. In spite of his own crucifixion.

3. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I suspect the work of Jesus may be like what some people say about Shakespeare. Other people helped to embellish it. That is obvious in some respects as he had twelve apostles and Paul, but even some of the ideas were IMO likely developed by others and stemmed in part from earlier myths. Christmas and virgin births, for example. But also the philosophy. Not to dissimilar to the US bill of rights and the founding fathers.

The particular genius of Jesus or the Jesus story, IMO, is tearing down the concept of other. I know people say all religions have a do unto others clause but I think the gospels take it to a whole new level really not seen in other major religions. The best things from Christians stem from this seed of thought and the worst things come from when they blatantly ignore it.

Oh, and if I were going to write somebody out of the script, it would be Paul. But unfortunately, nobody ever says he didn't exist.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

By definition, if we don't notice or recognize, it's not completely obvious.

I don't know enough about those two figures to have an opinion.

5. MacMadame

Except there aren't any written works that are attributed directly to Jesus. So he's not like Shakespeare because no one says that he wrote anything in the Bible.

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

How about Socrates? Was he a real person, or a character in works written by Plato?

7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  8. MacMadame

Heck, what about Plato? :D

9. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

And we all know that the Vatican has no vested interest in this :p