Jessica Simpson + Baby on PEOPLE Cover = Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 7, 2012.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

The thing is, she ISNT interesting. I only replied to this Overedge because you started a thread. Let's get to the point, she was counter point to Brit and Xtina, she was the one with 'morals'. I actually liked what she did in Dallas, and at one point she could sing. Yet she (with no brains or cerebral cortex) landed man on man on man and got preggos with no wedding ring in sight. It's funny how life creeps up on you and all those southerny baptisty thingies you rally for turn out that YOU ARE JUST AS "BAD" as all those you villify.

Her father is so creepy I really can't get past it. I've known incest issues and creepy dads. I pass on everything Jessica Simpson even though I've been told she has good shoes. No way. Joseph Simpson gives me not just creeps but revulsion.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

People who live their lives on television and/or celebs who headline entertainment magazines/shows aren't usually very interesting, when you get right down to it.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why would they pay her that much?

Nobody saw it coming? :huh:

5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty small baby pictures payment for some stars. I opened this thread only because the title drew me in, thinking that there was something wrong with the picture, not because of the celeb.

I read People when waiting in a doctor's office for my appointment. By the time I get to read them it is weeks or months later and the cover has been torn off. Or I buy one to read in the airport - as it is usually hard to concentrate on a book until I get on the plane.

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is the father not "in the picture"? (I see that he isn't on the cover.)

I thought she had gotten married. Did that not work out?

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Why does anyone pay any attention a baby that isn't theirs?

(Well, okay, I would be interested if the Duchess of Cambridge has a child, but that baby will be in line for the British throne.)

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

He isn't on the cover, but ironically he is in the same picture (the complete photo is with the story). He got cropped out :lol:

She and the baby's dad are engaged, and according to the story they are madly in love and are going to have "the most amazing wedding ever" when Simpson loses enough weight to get into a fab wedding dress. Which allowed her to put in a plug for her upcoming collaboration with Weight Watchers :rolleyes:

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

So she named her daughter Maxwell? :huh:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I can sorta see why People bet on it.

For celeb gossip, I prefer US Weekly, and often when I'm having lunch I'll cruise their website - they always list the top 5 stories, and more often than not, the baby/baby bump stories have been in there, including every update on Jessica's pregnancy.

Pregnancies and babies usually sell.

ETA: On usmagazine.com, this is currently the top ranked story - http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/gisele-is-pregnant-with-second-child-201266

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's just tacky! If the baby picture if more than just the baby, the father should be included! I guess he isn't famous enough.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I have to admire someone with such a mediocre talent to have used said talent as a launching pad to wealth. Props to her creepy but savvy parents. She doesn't care if she makes another album or does another TV show - girl is mad rich and pretty much set for life.

14. leigh

leigh New Member

+-`+
    +

15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I totally agree, leigh, though I would have phrased it slightly differently.

dbell1, genevieve, Jenny and 3 others like this.
  16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

She was in the church youth group & camp with two of my cousin's kids when she was in school. Reports were that she was very nice, fwiw.

17. duane

duane New Member

Exactly...and her superstar status all began with the famous words "is this chicken or fish?" More power to her!

I never understood these magazines paying millions for baby pictures, or the public's obvious desire to see them. I mean, babies look alike for the most part, even those of celebrities.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Though I love the joy newborns bring I generally don't find them that interesting even if their parents are celebrities. And maybe especially if their parents are celebrities. Maybe this is a minority opinion though judging from the cover shots of Moms/Dads and babies that we see these days.

19. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Say what you will about Beyonce and Jay-Z, but I love the fact that they didn't run to the tabloids to sell pictures of their daughter two days after she popped out. Beyonce posted them (for free) on her Tumblr photo album and made them available to everyone. They could have gotten nearly ten times what Jessica Simpson got if they sold the pictures to People or some other magazine if they wanted to.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

But Jessica doesn't have their billions - being in the tabloids is part of her business plan, but not part of Beyonce's and JayZ's, who have plenty of other sources of income.

I think in general the celebrity media is more interested in the moms than the babies, or the dads for that matter. There are more stories about baby bumps, maternity fashions, showers and how they lose the weight than the actual babies outside of the initial "first pictures" rush. Interest only picks up later if their parents dress them well - or if their last name is Jolie-Pitt.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's not a star though. She's a Z-lister.

Hasn't had a hit single in years, her tv shows aren't that popular and yes her clothing business is very successful but that's it.

22. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I realize she's a judge on that NBC reality show, but I view her more of as a has-been than someone I would be curious about. Given the rumors that she was pregnant, the eventual announcement and the gestation period that seemed to never end, I think this was a case of her camp saturating the market. The reaction I had was...well thank goodness she finally had that kid because I was tired of hearing about it.

All celebs (whatever status) are narcissists in their own way. But I'm not particularly a fan of ones who invite us into their lives through the reality show genre. I feel like this is just more of the same.

But as Rex said, good for her. If she can spread out her 15 minutes for being airheaded and spacey, good for her.

23. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

maybe they saw the baby on the front cover and :scream:

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Ahh, but the celebrities offer up such insightful and unique observations on parenthood, like this observation from Jessica:
    ;)

25. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I've always felt kind of sorry for Jessica Simpson, and therefore kind of wanted to defend her, although I don't have a clue why. She can't act, sing that well...but she does seem to have a very lucrative fashion business, so good for her. I mean, can't people just cut her some slack? She's kind of banal, but she seems to be pretty harmless. She's not nearly as obnoxious as a whole lot of other celebs I can think of. As we say in the South, "Bless her heart...."

26. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Jessica Simpson basically became a superstar because she's a complete idiot. People watched Newlyweds to see what stupid thing she would say next. She then proceeded to laugh about this and make a ton of money off her own idiocy and lack of talent, not to mention the utter hypocrisy of her actions regarding pregnancy and marital status after the way she marketed herself for so many years. I put her one step above Snooki and have no respect for her whatsoever and find her to be quite obnoxious.

Stefanie and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I agree completely. Ditto.

28. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

She has good business sense, and for her, that has proven to be more profitable than talent.

Maybe because she grew up with Britney and Xtina and was not considered as talented or successful. But, when you begin to draw parallels, Jessica has been successful, also. It took her a little bit longer to find her niche.

That is a misnomer. I think that the fact that she has turned 15 mins of fame into 30 mins (and counting) makes her a shrewd business woman. True, she says a lot of silly things without thinking. I think that a lot of people underestimate her intelligence. Her mother has been quoted saying that Jess has a genius IQ and I wouldn't doubt it. One of my best friends from childhood had a genius IQ and she didn't have enough common sense to come inside if it was raining.

As for hypocrisy of her actions, people change and mature as they get older and have life experiences. Her father was a preacher and he has to be one of the biggest creeps walking. I'm sure that had a lot of influence on her values as a young person. Since then, though, her sister was pregnant when she got married. Jess is divorced.....life happens, opinions and feelings change. She's expanded her world view. She was saying all that stuff when she was twenty. That was ten years ago.

29. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

:lol: It did seem like she was pregnant for 16 months.