Jessica Mills: If Only She Could Have Jumped

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jul 10, 2013.

If Mills could have done triples, could she have been a threat to Kwan Bobek & Nancy?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think her Galina 1996 era program was good enough to compete with Bobek, but it's unlikely she could have ever beaten a post-1995 Kwan. If she had developed jumping abilities at least as good as Yuka Sato, for example, could she have been a factor? Mills obviously had drive. After winning the World Junior title in 1989, she had just one more season where her strength in figures could compensate for her weaker jumping. She continued for years in the post-figures era. By 1996 she was a beautiful skater, and she added to the depth of the 1990s skating boom.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

In her case she was so far removed from being a good enough jumper (like a galaxy removed) it seems idle to even begin speculating on that.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

If she was not a good jumper, why didn't she try ice dancing?

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It's very difficult to predict anything. Her jumping technique was not good, and I'm not impressed by her overall skating.
    So, my answer is NO. ;)

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Dick Button and I respectfully disagree. We would have been the judge who gave her 5.6 for presentation, while you would have given the 4.7.

Here is an interesting article on Jessica Mills. Her mother said that unlike her sister she was not a hard worker. I am sure this is relative, but it is interesting

LA Times: Jessica and Phoebe Mills Go to Great Lengths to Reach Stardom in Respective Sports

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

9. briancoogaert

LOL. I think she started in 1988, and ended in 1991 with the Gold. ;)

10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I have a question, are people afraid to vote in public polls for fear of how The Iron Lady or others might judge them?

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

So she only did four?

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Surya would have won the title in 1990 if it hadn't been for that unfortunate scene Mrs Bonaly caused when she wrote "Surrender Yuka" with her broomstick.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    antmanb and (deleted member) like this.
  13. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I remember Jessica being beaten by Kyoko Ina at the US Junior Championship following her World Junior Title win.

I wonder how Ina would have done as a singles skater if she hadn't focussed so much of her time on pairs.

14. briancoogaert

IMO, Kyoko Ina had much more success in Pairs than she would have had in singles. ;)

15. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

She is not artistic enough. She needs more speed and elegance.

16. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Kyoko never had a chance of being a top singles skater. Ugly leg wrap jumps, lack of speed, lack of presentation and performance quality. She achieved lots of 3rd and 4th places at World and Olympic events in pairs, this is great, and more than she could have achieved in singles. Her lack of quality in her elements and presentation meant she would never reach the very top even in pairs though, just semi there.

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

If you are going to pick a relatively unknown obscure skater who ranked middle of the field at US Nationals many many years ago then maybe it is a poll that people just aren't interested in nor care about.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Nobody knows how anyone voted in a public poll, unless the voter also adds a comment to the thread to explain their vote. So anyone who wanted to avoid being "judged" for their opinion could just vote and not leave a comment.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

You can set a poll to identify those who are voting. It is mentioned under the poll topic whether it is one of those polls.

20. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Implying there were international level skating and gymnastics parents all rolled together during a very political era in both sports :yikes::scream:

21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont know about Kwan, but Bobek who couldnt jump herself, and Kerrigan who wasnt a remarkable skater in anyway, yes. If she could have done alot of triples well with the rest of her skating she could easily compete with those two atleast.