Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison end their 9-year partnership

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 10, 2011.

1. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Les Wirtz. :yikes: :scream: The Skatebuzz article referred to "Toronto area", so maybe Kevin Wheeler in Cambridge? Just curious, who would be responsible for helping Bryce with his partner search at this point? Usually inquires are fielded through the skaters’ coaches. Is he still considered Annie’s skater even though he doesn’t plan to stay at Contrecouer?

2. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

one might have said something similair last year about duhamel and look at her now!!!

3. The Observer

The Observer New Member

True, but Duhamel had been on the podium last year and didn't have as serious an injury.

Dubé and Davison have missed a year on the podium and an entire season.

4. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

OH,NO!!! First Caydee and HER Partner!!!! Now Jessica Dube and Bryce Davidson!!!! What is going on?!!! Why are they splitting? Or did I miss it in the thread? Are any of them going to keep skating or doing Pairs?

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Bryce is recovering from his injury but has said that he would like to if the right partner comes along - as in high enough level not to take too far a step backward (but meanwhile working on school and coaching)

Jessica is going to work on singles - unless the right person comes along (and is willing to train in Quebec apparently)

I am pretty sure it said a few posts above that Caydee is looking for a new partner.

6. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Why are thy just notreturning to the ice after Bryce recovers?

7. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Well, a friend and I were talking about this, and it makes sense to both of us (not all of you have to agree). It's like they're at the place that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were after Tessa's first injury (the estrangement), but unlike Tessa and Scott, couldn't fix their growing distance.

Just throwing that idea out there..

8. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

but tessa and scott are not 'together' and never have been- i think that makes a differnce in the dynamic of the realtionship - also remeber that scott and tessa did apaprently not talk for quite a whiel after her surgery ( or so i heard from scott in an interview) perhaps it was a similar situation with jess and bryce- and they just realsied it was better this way?

9. The Observer

The Observer New Member

There's another big difference - Tessa and Scott have been very successful over the past couple of years and got right to the top. They are in a position to still do well.

Jessica and Bryce have been falling in the standings and have not been skating very well over the past couple seasons.

10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Tessa and Scott have also been together since they were 7 and 9. They are more like brother and sister. I suspect they could go for months without talking and then just pick up like no time had passed. They don't have all the baggage Bryce and Jessica have.

I think it would be great for Jessica to spend a year doing singles seriously. It would give her a chance to figure out which triples really work for her. She could then look for partner that has the same triples or triple.

11. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Certainly, Jessica and Bryce have their own obstacles to deal with now, but they can't be worrying about the other teams. Nobody is a lock at the top of the Canadian podium for years to come just because they did well at Nationals and a couple other competitions this season. You never know what the results will be on any given day, and that's the whole point of competing.

It would be nice to have more than 3 pairs in contention for the podium/World team each year anyway. This is a competitive sport-- the more competition, the better... There's no sense in being afraid of anyone. I think if Jessica and/or Bryce can find what they are looking for in a partner/training situation, they will return without caring about what the other Canadian teams are doing at the moment. They can only worry about themselves.

12. jtpc

jtpc Active Member

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

14. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm sorry to read this. I remember the first time I saw them skate several years ago. I liked everything about them: choreography, music choices, chemistry, costumes, etc. I thought they would be the next big Canadian pair. Unfortunately, injuries took their toll. I wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Umm...they were the next big Canadian pair... :confused:

• 5 appearances at Canadian Nationals - three gold, two silver
    • 5 appearances at Worlds - top 10 all 5 times include a bronze medal
    • 2 appearances at Olympics - top 10 both times

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

Thank you.

D&D may never have reached the heights that many hoped for/predicted they might at the beginning of their career, but they did achieve quite a lot, especially given how frequent their accidents and injuries were.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Skate Canada could probably be Bryce's point of contact/intermediary for potential partner. He's a very high profile and talented athlete so it'd be in their interest to find him another partner. If the potential partner was American (and wanted the pair to compete for the US), I'm sure Annie would be happy to help put the parties in contact.

18. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Interesting that Dube & Davison thanked Doug Ladret but not David Pelletier. Pretty sure that D&D spent quite a bit of time over the years with S&P, particularly David, working on their twist and lifts.

19. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

I thought the same. I was surprised not seeing David Pelletier in the list but Doug Ladret? Like you said, David Pelletier worked more with them than Doug...weird.

20. Civic

Civic New Member

I should have been more specific. I thought they would be the next Canadian pairs team to win an Olympic medal; perhaps even challenge for the gold medal.

21. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I thought the same.:wuzrobbed

22. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

For me.. they were my favourite Canadian pairs team, especially as juniors and first year or so senior when they really had the 'it' factor..but they certainly have so much to be proud of. :)

Now I hope that Bryce continues as he improved so much and assuming fully healed can continue to grow even more with a new partner??

I hope Jessica pursues her singles to see what her potential can be. I remember her as a Juvenile and Pre Novice and she was always the top in her age group but then stopped pushing the jumps to focus on her pairs moves.. perhaps with time focusing on her singles she can live up to her potential. :p

23. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Thank you Peter. It’s nice to look back on everything they did accomplish. I still believed they could do more, but maybe that’s my heart talking and not my head. Nine years is a long partnership by North American standards. If they were 28 and 30 retiring at this point wouldn’t be remarkable.

That is odd. As recently as September they were still referring to S&P as their heroes. Doug is listed as one of their coaches on their ISU bio. Maybe someone from the PR staff at Skate Canada filled in sections for them? I noticed the list of sponsors is quite detailed. :lol:

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.

There were few things more annoying in figure skating than Jessica Dube's blank, emotionless face. She was like a drone.

Davison always seemed to be the stronger link. He was more consistent on the jumps, more expressive, had more fluidity in his movements.

I kept wishing he'd dump her for years. But then finding a partner on his level would have been extremely hard.

25. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

HEY!!!! Let's stop bashing Skaters!!!

26. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

27. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yikes! So it was all Jess' decision, as many here suspected.

28. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

He seems a little bit more blindsided then they let on afterward. I hope he moves on and find the career he wants.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The Davison article link was posted in the Canadian Skating/Skaters news thread last night -- some of the comments:

30. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Is there anything "defining" difficulty with their training? When Jessica says to much difficulty training. That would also depend on how you Define "Difficulty".