Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison end their 9-year partnership

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 10, 2011.

1. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

If Bryce is already a US citizen, Canada can't refuse to release him. Perhaps you are remembering Morgan Matthews and Leif Gislason, when the US wouldn't release Matthews to skate for Canada and Canada wouldn't release Gislason to skate for the US. In that case, neither skater had dual US / Canadian citizenship and their home countries did have the right to refuse release.
  2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think Bryce find a new parter he should try skating more than 5 minutes a day.
  3. ksneds

ksneds New Member

Davison's only skating five minutes per day because he had MAJOR knee surgery in October, could not bear any weight on the leg for three months post-surgery and has just been cleared to start skating again. So the limitation is purely for medical reasons - and Davison has been quoted as saying he's spending a lot more time in the gym working on his upper body/core. Plus, the condition which resulted in the need for the surgery is degenerative, so rushing back to skating could cause further problems.

At this point, there are no guarantees that he will be able to return to competitive skating anyway, so I suspect the current focus is a lot more on making sure he has a functional knee/knee joint than on finding a new partner.
  4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That's why I said....maybe talking about getting him a new partner is a tad premature.
  5. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Yes, they can. Citizenship is an issue only for the Olympics. It's not an issue for the ISU as being a citizen of the country where your NGB is located is not a requirement for skating in ISU events.
  6. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The ISU requires only one partner in a team to be a citizen of the country being represented.

The issue is that if Bryce, as a US citizen, wants to skate for the US with another partner, Canada can't refuse to release him. Canada could intervene and refuse to release him if Bryce wasn't a US citizen and wanted to skate for the US with a US citizen.
  7. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I think it's a little odd that this has become the 'Let's find a Partner For Bryce" thread, when,of the two , he's the one who may not be able to continue competitively.:confused:
  8. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

except he is the one who is publicly saying he is now looking for an elite partner so obviously he his back on track, he only just went back on the ice but got the go ahead from being strong enough off ice.. so by end of summer should be set.. so why not play along and speculate..:lol:
  9. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

The speculation would be even more interesting if the people being suggested were in fact a) elite i.e. potential top five in the world, b) an actual pairs skaters, and c) actually skating. With Bryce having been a world medallist, I can't see him settling for anything less that a skater who qualifies on all three counts. The only one suggested so far who meets those criteria is Maria Mukhortova, and like dinakt I can't see that actually happening.

As for new partners for Jessica, I'd be far more excited with a thread about new coaches for Jessica. Without that, I don't care about the 'new partners' bit.
  10. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

I think there's a better chance of Bryce finding an elite partner than there is of Jessica opting to seek out a new coach. ;)
  11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

ISU Constitution and General Regulations is the doc that is applicable, but it doesn't address explicitly whether a Federation can block a skater who holds both that citizenship and another citizenship to whose Federation s/he wants to switch.

Rule 109.2a states, "In principle, a Skater may compete only as a member of the Member of the country of which he is a citizen;", however there are exceptions:

Rule 109.2c states, "in the case of a pair or an ice dance couple, one partner at least must be a citizen of the country of the Member for which the pair or dance couple competes. The other partner may be a citizen or resident of country of any other Member."

Rule 109.2b.i: "a Skater may compete for the Member of the country of which he is not a citizen if he fulfils the following conditions:
    i) he has resided for at least one year in that country and has been permitted to compete for that Member by the National Association of the country of which he is a citizen, or he has resided for at least one year in that country and he (or his parents if he is not of age) has applied for citizenship in that country;" (emphasis mine)

I believe this means that the skater doesn't have to ask for Member permission if s/he has applied for citizenship. If this is correct, then it's hard to imagine that a skater who already has citizenship to the new country needs to get permission, but then again, this is the ISU we're talking about.

There's also a provision (109.2b.v) which allows for an exception from the ISU: If the Member refuses to release the skater per (109.2b.i), "Any denial of a request for permit by the Member submitted in accordance with sub-paragraph (i) above may be the subject of a request to the Council by involved Skater or any involved Member for exceptional permission as provided in paragraph 5 of this Rule;"

Paragraph 5 states: ""Exceptions to paragraphs 2 & 3 [waiting periods] of this Rule may be granted by the Council of the ISU, which may also enter a competitor for an event (see also Rule 115, paragraph 5 [how entries are submitted] and Rules 130 [participation rules] and 131 [entries rules]). A competitor nominated by the ISU does not count in the quota of the country of his citizenship or residence." and the ISU reserves the right to block for skater shopping.

Has this exception clause been in before, or is it new? (For example, could Morgan Matthews have applied under this?)

Then there are the "sit-out" rules: two years for singles skaters (109.2b.iii), one year for pairs and dance (109.2b.ii).
  12. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I'm not surprised to see this news, in fact I was kind of expecting it as a strong possibility after the recent events that had happened.

They have been struggling in the World standings for the past couple of years and have had a series of accidents and injuries.

Being out for an entire season while other Canadian pairs have been passing them by in the standings this year meant it was going to be even harder for them to come back next year.
  13. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

yep I totally agree re: Bryce.. also with regards to Jessica that isn't going to be happening... any new partners for her will have to be based in Quebec which I believe was also part of the issue re her decisions...
  14. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

15. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Bryce said he was "throwing his name out there" for a new partner, but he also said he's going to school, rehabbing his knee, moving to Toronto and working on his coaching credentials. Seems to me he is not 100% confident he will be able to get back to an elite level. Also, who would be his pairs coach in Toronto? Or would he commute to Barrie or (god forbid) Waterloo?
  16. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

I think he is just being realistic about a new partner. He says it won't be easy because he doesn't want to start from scratch and wants to find someone with experience who could be top 10 in the world right away. There aren't that many girls fitting his criteria out there.
  17. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

And he has to be willing to move to Québec. Is Sébastien Wolfe done for good? I would be very suprised to see her skating pairs again and I doubt she'll have much success in singles.
  18. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

barabe coaches half the canadian skaters already! :lol:
  19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

So Bryce and Jessica plan to continue their career as pair skaters, but not together ?
    That's weird. I thought they decided to split because he was injured !

Anyway, I liked them as a pair. Not a fan, but they were pleasant to watch.
  20. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I think it will be difficult for either one of them to continue at this point.

And as mentioned above, now that Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Duhamel & Radford and Lawrence & Swiegers are on the way up, it may be difficult for Jessica and Bryce and their new partners to catch them.
  21. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Les Wirtz. :yikes: :scream: The Skatebuzz article referred to "Toronto area", so maybe Kevin Wheeler in Cambridge? Just curious, who would be responsible for helping Bryce with his partner search at this point? Usually inquires are fielded through the skaters’ coaches. Is he still considered Annie’s skater even though he doesn’t plan to stay at Contrecouer?
  22. victoriajh

one might have said something similair last year about duhamel and look at her now!!!
  23. The Observer

The Observer New Member

True, but Duhamel had been on the podium last year and didn't have as serious an injury.

Dubé and Davison have missed a year on the podium and an entire season.
  24. FSWer

FSWer New Member

OH,NO!!! First Caydee and HER Partner!!!! Now Jessica Dube and Bryce Davidson!!!! What is going on?!!! Why are they splitting? Or did I miss it in the thread? Are any of them going to keep skating or doing Pairs?
  25. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Bryce is recovering from his injury but has said that he would like to if the right partner comes along - as in high enough level not to take too far a step backward (but meanwhile working on school and coaching)

Jessica is going to work on singles - unless the right person comes along (and is willing to train in Quebec apparently)

I am pretty sure it said a few posts above that Caydee is looking for a new partner.
  26. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Why are thy just notreturning to the ice after Bryce recovers?
  27. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Well, a friend and I were talking about this, and it makes sense to both of us (not all of you have to agree). It's like they're at the place that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were after Tessa's first injury (the estrangement), but unlike Tessa and Scott, couldn't fix their growing distance.

Just throwing that idea out there..
  28. victoriajh

but tessa and scott are not 'together' and never have been- i think that makes a differnce in the dynamic of the realtionship - also remeber that scott and tessa did apaprently not talk for quite a whiel after her surgery ( or so i heard from scott in an interview) perhaps it was a similar situation with jess and bryce- and they just realsied it was better this way?
  29. The Observer

The Observer New Member

There's another big difference - Tessa and Scott have been very successful over the past couple of years and got right to the top. They are in a position to still do well.

Jessica and Bryce have been falling in the standings and have not been skating very well over the past couple seasons.
  30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Tessa and Scott have also been together since they were 7 and 9. They are more like brother and sister. I suspect they could go for months without talking and then just pick up like no time had passed. They don't have all the baggage Bryce and Jessica have.

I think it would be great for Jessica to spend a year doing singles seriously. It would give her a chance to figure out which triples really work for her. She could then look for partner that has the same triples or triple.
  31. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Certainly, Jessica and Bryce have their own obstacles to deal with now, but they can't be worrying about the other teams. Nobody is a lock at the top of the Canadian podium for years to come just because they did well at Nationals and a couple other competitions this season. You never know what the results will be on any given day, and that's the whole point of competing.

It would be nice to have more than 3 pairs in contention for the podium/World team each year anyway. This is a competitive sport-- the more competition, the better... There's no sense in being afraid of anyone. I think if Jessica and/or Bryce can find what they are looking for in a partner/training situation, they will return without caring about what the other Canadian teams are doing at the moment. They can only worry about themselves.
  32. jtpc

jtpc Active Member

33. pani

pani Well-Known Member

34. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm sorry to read this. I remember the first time I saw them skate several years ago. I liked everything about them: choreography, music choices, chemistry, costumes, etc. I thought they would be the next big Canadian pair. Unfortunately, injuries took their toll. I wish them both the best in their future endeavors.
  35. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Umm...they were the next big Canadian pair... :confused:

• 5 appearances at Canadian Nationals - three gold, two silver
    • 5 appearances at Worlds - top 10 all 5 times include a bronze medal
    • 2 appearances at Olympics - top 10 both times
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  36. dramagrrl

dramagrrl New Member

Thank you.

D&D may never have reached the heights that many hoped for/predicted they might at the beginning of their career, but they did achieve quite a lot, especially given how frequent their accidents and injuries were.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Skate Canada could probably be Bryce's point of contact/intermediary for potential partner. He's a very high profile and talented athlete so it'd be in their interest to find him another partner. If the potential partner was American (and wanted the pair to compete for the US), I'm sure Annie would be happy to help put the parties in contact.
  38. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Interesting that Dube & Davison thanked Doug Ladret but not David Pelletier. Pretty sure that D&D spent quite a bit of time over the years with S&P, particularly David, working on their twist and lifts.
  39. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

I thought the same. I was surprised not seeing David Pelletier in the list but Doug Ladret? Like you said, David Pelletier worked more with them than Doug...weird.
  40. Civic

Civic New Member

I should have been more specific. I thought they would be the next Canadian pairs team to win an Olympic medal; perhaps even challenge for the gold medal.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.