Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison end their 9-year partnership

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

We might as well start the thread now :( ...
    Direct link to the tweet: http://twitter.com/unisports_skate/status/45858651314987008

2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

3. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

:( :( :(

4. ksneds

ksneds New Member

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I almost wished they didn't say anything unless they had some real information.

6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

:eek:

I'm surprised but not surprised. They didn't seem to gel too well to me in the last season, and she always looks a bit miserable. They never really pushed on after their world bronze or fulfilled their potential IMO. Plus, hasn't he had a MAJOR injury?

Anyway, I know nothing; maybe there's more to it than meets the eye.

Best of luck to both.

7. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

YAY. Bryce is free. Bryce is free.

oleada, MINAM, Garden Kitty and 13 others like this.
  8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

He had very bad injury. So what this mean he is free?

9. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

:lol: My thoughts exactly :cheer2:

I've always wanted him to have another partner. Although a Canadian pairs lady that is up to his current standard today is hard to find...

10. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

It means I don't like Jessica Dube much, and if he wants to pursue skating, I'd like to see him do it with someone else. She's been an emotional drag on him for years...in my very biased opinion.

11. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical if Davison can recover from this injury well enough to compete at a high level again. It'll be interesting to see if he talks about his recovery during the press conference.

12. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

I'm not really surprised at all by this. I hope he is able to find a new partner and continue to skate. Jessica in recent years seemed to want to be anywhere else but skating with him.

Maybe they both can find success with new partners if they choose to go that route.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But who could skate with him, even if he will have good recover?
    I think they didnt have good chance to be in team Canada - now its look, like Canada have 3 not bad teams without Jess and Bryce

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I think Bryce's injury would take a long time to come back, but as long as re-attaching the bone chip was successful, I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't be able to skate again all the post-surgery scarring went away. It's not like a tendon graft, where you could have rejection issues or have trouble strengthening the new ligament enough to get back to your prior strength.

Here is a little more information about his injury.

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That should have prepped him well for a future partnership with Moody Maria...have her move up to Canada -and we get to free her in the process, too :D!

16. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

For me, this is sad news.

They always looked like they were "almost" reaching some grand potential, but never fully realized. When they were on, they were lovely together.

:(

17. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

In the write-ups on his surgery back in October, it was mentioned that he has a previously-undiagnosed degenerative bone condition that caused the bone chip to break off in his knee.

Even if he can rehab the current injury, more jumping might put him at risk for further problems. They have already achieved world bronze, that's something to be very proud of. Hope he protects his health at this point.

18. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I'm just so unbelievably shocked- they didn't seem to dislike each other. Quite the contrary. I just woke up and feel like I'm dreaming- not the news I was wanting to hear. I'm so sad.. I hope Jessica and Bryce are okay and I hope they remain friends. I wonder what they're going to do next?

19. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

I agree, at times they had such great potential and then things would go south so quickly. They had some really beautiful programs and early on in their partnership a great connection.

20. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I agree. :( But they can be proud of what they achieved, nonetheless.

21. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

I guess that's official. There are a lot of articles now on the web and some are in French too. No comments from Jessica and Bryce yet(read they will talk only next week).

I am sad!!!:( They were my favourite pairs.
    I guess Bryce will retire because of the injury. Will Jessica continue to skate? will she find a new partner or she will continue in single? can't wait to know.

I wish them the best for their future.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I wonder if this speculation (posted in the Splits thread) will turn out to be true?
    I had the privilege of seeing Dubé/Davison's competition debut at the Liberty summer competition in Newark, Delaware back in July 2003. They were really magical to watch and I'm glad I'll always have that skating memory of them.

ETA: Since D/D skated together from summer 2003 - fall 2010 (when he was injured), that means they were paired for 8 years, not the 9 I put in this thread title.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  23. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I know it's been rocky at times between them, but they both seemed committed to the partnership. I mean, she took up singles this season to stay sharp while she waited for him to come back.

It just seems odd to wait a full year for Bryce to recover and get back in the swing of things and then say, "Oh, never mind. Let's split." :lol: I wonder if this decision revolves around his injury.

24. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I'm really really sad about this:(:(

Their bronze medal winning program is one I can watch over and over again, I never grow tired of it. So smooth and lovely...

OTOH they never really managed to take the last step to the top, quite the contrary.... hope they will be happy, and that they continue to skate!! Get well soon Bryce!

25. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I actually hope their decision revolved around Bryce's injury, because I don't think I could handle if they actually didn't get along, I loved their relationship or what we saw of it.

I seriously thought this was a joke when I clicked on it, too bad it's reality. Hope we hear something soon..

26. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

They weren't my favorite pair but I enjoyed watching them. I got to see one of their better performances - their FS at '07 SA. When they had everything together, they were wonderful to watch. Unfortunately, for the past couple of seasons, they seemed to be headed in the wrong direction. My best wishes to both in whatever they decide to do.

27. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

What is Cody Hay up to these days?

28. ksneds

ksneds New Member

Quebecoise - the articles indicate that there will be a conference call (read press conference) later today

The CBC/G&M articles have been edited to note that both skaters plan to "remain involved in the sport" - which could suggest competitive skating, or coaching etc.

As to Cody Hay, he has helped with the coaching during the Battle of the Blades, and as per the publicly (sp?) available information on his Facebook page, he and Anabelle Langlois are engaged.

29. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:( When I read that his injury involved a degenerative condition last year, I really felt the handwriting was on the wall. Mind you, I had already felt their partnership was going south for the last 2 yrs. I had a wish at the time that they would stop trying to mend what was obviously broken ,so she could maybe try out with Eric Radford while he was at loose ends..I thought their line, carriage and body types would have matched nicely...I hope she continues to skate, and we know there's at least one other excellent partner available..

ETA:When Annabelle and Cody retired, they said he wanted to continue competitive skating , and they were a couple then, so that may not make a difference.

30. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

lol I forgot we were Thursday today lol