Jersey on Ice - TLC Premiers Dec 12/12

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by manhn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I find all these Jersey Italian stereotypes awfully dated. My family has lived at the Jersey shore for several generations and I haven't seen anyone like that for about 40 or 50 years. Isn't Snooki from upstate NY anyway?

It's a shame that they couldn't do a reality show like "Mad Hot Ballroom" for ISI skating. ISI is less expensive and lower pressure for kids than USFSA. If they have a decent coach the truly athletic kids have no problem moving on to USFSA. It might interest more people in figure skating as a fun and fitness activity.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

We shouldn't assume that PSA (or ISI) "encouraged" those coaches in any way. It was their decision.

Hopefully the ratings were low and this pilot episode won't be picked up by TLC...
    ETA from one of the local articles I posted earlier:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Unfortunately, that is not the network's goal. Their goal is to sensationalize and create drama. As for presenting Italian Americans with this stereotype, it is just offensive. If it were another ethnic group, you could bet that there would be outrage. But, for some reason, it's okay to do this with Italians. And what's worse, the Italian Americans, in these shows, allow it!

4. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

The PSA (not ISI) sent memos out to coaches a year ago. Informing them about the show and asking them if they or anyone they knew was interested. They should have declined to do that. They had to have some idea that a TLC Reality Show would not portray skating in a good light.

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Skate America! Go!

Maybe they were hoping that having PSA coaches on there would show good coaching - sort of preventing disaster. If that was their goal they were pretty naive given the network...

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

from the people who brought us "Honey Boo Boo" really skating didn't stand a chance!

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

This is an awesome idea. There is built-in drama in any skating competition anyway, so showing the non-elite kids preparing for a competition and then going to it would be exciting enough.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

What about the Shahs of Sunset (Middle Eastern), Honey Boo Boo (white trailer park culture), those Roma reality shows (Gypsy Wedding and other ones I can't think of), etc. Networks make no qualms over airing shows with offensive, racially-stereotypical content as long as there is an audience for them.

9. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

You're right. And to make matters worse people within those ethnicities are more than willing to participate, as long as they get paid.

10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Did they cancel the show, I don't see it listed anywhere.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

IIRC the episode that was shown was the pilot, and TLC was going to look at the ratings before deciding whether to commission more shows.
    I hope they know about the PSA and ISI criticisms....

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I posted above (#62) that it was a pilot episode. I don't know what ratings it needed to achieve in order to be picked up by TLC as a series.