Jersey on Ice - TLC Premiers Dec 12/12

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by manhn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

What does "Also moonlights as sparkle" mean?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Yes, only Deana Sroka is on the current coaches' compliance list maintained by USFS (required for coaching at their test sessions, non-qualifying and qualifying competitions): http://www.usfsa.org/content.asp?menu=coaches&id=451

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Is the Kristin that was in last night's episode (the coach that the other three beeyotch coaches couldn't stand) Kristin Fraser? I didn't see much resemblance to the online photos.

4. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

No, she's Kristen Gerard, further down in the photo lineup. Again, not a USFS or PSA-certified coach. She was about the only one who seemed tolerable. She appeared to care about her students instead of the "it's all about me" attitude of the other 3. Good grief, I feel sorry for this woman coaching both Deana's and Michele's daughters, talk about a no-win situation. My husband's coach has a grown daughter who competed for years, and she always maintained a policy of being a mom, not a coach in her relationship with her daughter's coaches over the years.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

True, but I don't think it helped the sport that most of the coach-skater interaction was pretty negative. If parents think that's what all coaches are like, they might be reluctant to get their kids into skating.

Agreed. It would be complicated to explain USFS vs. ISI for a non-skating audience, but the basic differences could be covered fairly quickly. That, however, would take away from the show's premise that these coaches are working with all these kids that are struggling along the difficult path that one day leads to the Olympics....

6. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

also, the fact that the coaches were all about how the skaters winning and talking badly about each others skating. It is not the supporting environment I would want a kid doing sports in - if I wanted my kid to go into skating I would know that the chances of being super competitive are so slim, the primary goal would be to have fun and do something athletic and artistic and learn other life skills like winning/losing, dealing with nerves, performance, team spirit, kindness and so forth.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There was some discussion about skating (and spinning?) slowly or with speed, but almost nothing in terms of the coaches giving technical corrections to help the skaters improve what they were doing.

My guess is that's primarily because the producers didn't think it would be of interest to non-skating audiences, so instead they chose to focus on the motivational side of coaching. It's also possible that that's what these particular coaches spend most of their lesson time on anyway.

I think it would be valuable for audiences who are interested in getting a peek into what goes into this sport to witness some of the technical aspects of training. But even in a TV show that aims to do that and takes skating seriously, rather than one that aims to focus on controversial personalities, how much time would TV networks want to spend on coaches talking about which muscles to tighten or where to position the weight over the blade? Was there any of that in that 2006 series?

8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

It's also very counterproductive behavior considering these kids are an ISI team. Part of the goal of ISI competition as I mentioned, especially at a competition like Lake Placid, is team points and doing well as a team. These women seem hellbent on the "screw the other kids, my kids have to WIN" mentality with any team aspect ranking a very distant second, if even that high.

9. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Interesting. i used to skate with Fraser/Lukanin at the Gardens Ice House when they were there. I'm surprised she would go for this. I know of at least three rinks that turned this concept down when approached by TV guys to put this on.

As an aside, I took my European Waltz with Igor. Skating with a dancer of that level . . . :swoon:. It was awesome. I didn't look nearly as good of course when I did the solo version for the test. :shuffle:

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I live in Newark now. Maybe I should take a trip to Little Falls when I need to unwind to watch a "live" taping.

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Not even remotely famous. None of them has ever produced any serious skater. I have lived in NJ my entire life, and have been in almost all of the rinks in northern NJ. I've never heard of any of them.

Morosov has been in Russia for quite a while now. However, there are lots of excellent coaches at NJ rinks, including Floyd Hall. These coaches are not USFS coaches. Best coaches in NJ, my arse! :lol:

With good reason! PSA sent out emails re: the show a year ago. Asking coaches if they knew anyone who would be interested. No serious coaches wanted to touch it. Especially since USFS sent all clubs a message that any skater who participated in the show would lose eligibility. No talented skater, in their right mind, would do that. I can't see any serious coach risking the ire of USFS by participating either. Plus, it would ruin their reputation. When that one coach said something about skaters wanting to take from coaches who produced hardware (AKA medals) I almost choked!

I can't imagine any of those skaters being able to compete at Juvenile or Intermediate. I can't see them competing at Pre-Preliminary and doing well. But, remember ISI rules are that you cannot do any element that is a higher level than what is required at that level. USFS levels have a minimum element level. So, in ISI if axel is the required jump, you cannot do anything higher than that. In Juvenile, where axel is required, you can do triples if you're able to, with no penalty.

ISI used to be the entry level for almost all skaters. Rinks had the membership with ISI and based their group lessons on them. Awarded badges for ISI levels passed. This was prior to USFS initiating their own Learn to Skate program. Now most rinks use the USFS program. But, in the "old days", skaters stayed with ISI until around freestyle 5, which required an axel. At that point, they usually switched over to USFS, if they had ability. Before FS 5, most skaters did both, just for competition experience. But, at Juvenile, the difference in what you could do for an ISI program and what would be expected to do well in a USFS program became too far apart and was no longer viable.

These coaches do not represent ISI or NJ coaches. They are loud, obnoxious, and full of crap. They misrepresented the LP competition as Regionals. The show doesn't do anything to let the viewer in on the fact that these are recreational skaters. All this is is another opportunity to make NJ look bad and make Italian Americans look bad.

2sk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

No, triples have been illegal at juvenile level in the US for at least 10 years. There was some controversy among her peers who felt she was sandbagging when Julia Vlassov was practicing triples on the warmup for her juvenile competition at Junior Nationals.

They are legal in intermediate, though -- even in the short program as of last? year.

13. cruisin

Ah, I stand corrected. I've been out of the jump loop for a while :D. Doubles are permitted, correct? The point is that even though the two levels have the same element requirement for testing, the competition structure is completely different.

14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yes. The hardest jump allowed in juvenile is double axel.
    www.usfigureskating.org/New_Judging.asp?id=355

Pre-juvenile allows all doubles except double axel.
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Singles FS Elements 2012-2013 No test - Pre Juv.pdf

Very true.

15. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Just took a look at the sparkly competition and made-up medal ceremony - I guess she/they went for it since Fraser/Lukanin are 2 of the judges for the competition & she gives out the medals at the end.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

They can always run for Mayor of Newark if this skating coach gig doesn't pan out.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Do you have to infiltrate every thread with digs at Corey Booker?

18. cruisin

Maybe she's thinking he'll beat Christie for Governor.

19. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

If any subject deserves to be in the trash can, this one does. What a disgrace.:scream:

2sk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Southpaw

:lol: Do you really think I'm just talking about him?

This is a Jersey thread, I can infiltrate it with whichever Jersey reference I want. :summer:

21. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

What a Smugpaw... ;)

22. Southpaw

Maybe *I* should get my own Jersey reality show. What do these big mouth annoying coaches have that *I* don't have? :drama:

23. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Dorothy, Tin Man and Scarecrow together: "Courage?"

;)

24. lulu

lulu New Member

From the ISI official f.b. page:

25. cruisin

Good for ISI.

26. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Wow, just wow. Good for ISI, for sure.

27. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

What, you mean the ISI wasn't behind the ploy that sent the rival coach to that dinky bar where frothy pink cocktails are part of the set decoration?!

28. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

And from the current Director of the PSA on their FB page:

"In response to the reality TV show “Jersey on Ice”, the Professional Skaters Association acknowledges the show has reflected poorly on the sport of competitive figure skating, and the coaching community. Having viewed the production of “Jersey on Ice,” the show sensationalizes and dramatizes the relationship between instructor, parent, and skater. It is not consistent with the traits that members of the PSA espouse or represent.

The Professional Skaters Association reminds members that it is their responsibility to act in a manner fitting a PSA member, including exercising the greatest care, professionalism and ethical behavior. Only through their professionalism and diligence will the coaching profession and figure skating be viewed positively."

29. Southpaw

Oh dear. Perhaps courage is an overrated virtue.

30. cruisin

They should have considered that before they encouraged coaches to do this.