Jersey on Ice - TLC Premiers Dec 12/12

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by manhn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

http://blogs.discovery.com/tlc-new-now/2012/12/first-look-jersey-on-ice.html

I discovered this show on my PVR. My PVR's summary was kinda benign so I thought it was gonna be like that series with Alyssa and Bebe. Or Johnny's show. But then I went on the official website...

Are these coaches at all famous? Never heard of them. Is it gonna be trashy like that Dance Mom show?

Ack, I'm such a completist that I will watch, record and archive the episodes on DVD. This is gonna suck, right?
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Isn't Morozov the top figure skating coach in New Jersey? The goings-on at his rink would make a great reality show :rofl:

But really, manhn - no-name coaches promoting themselves as all that, 1 1/2 year olds being trained as serious skaters, and "drama" out of the rink? Do you really even have to ask if this is going to be trashy like Dance Mom? This sounds like it will scrape the bottom of the trash barrel :p
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for the articles, Sylvia. overedge, it does look like it may scrape the bottom of the trash barrel, but I still plan to watch it. :lol:
  5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Morozov is in Russia now. Platov, maybe?
  6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

"it does look like it may scrape the bottom of the trash barrel, but I still plan to watch it."

And for the same reason, I don't plan to watch it. Where I skate (two rinks in Westchester) this kind of behavior on the part of coaches just doesn't happen - and I've noticed that the best coaches set a tone and behavior standards for their students. Actually sometimes I wish they'd speak much louder so I could hear their advice on one thing or another - but that doesn't happen except very occasionally.

American TV has trashed up everything else so no reason that training in figure skating should be an exception. That said, I won't give it my support because I don't believe that a loud, in your face "attitude" on ice by the coach is an asset for the student or for skating.

Funny that Ice House in NJ is where I had the good fortune (a while ago) to sit in on some of the Sat. coaching sessions by one of the best, Tamara Moskvina. While she might get impassioned about something there was only energy, not attitude, and always impeccable manners from her. Amazing woman!
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  7. overedge

Oh, me too. Especially after seeing the skating moms in the preview clips. They make some of the skate moms I've encountered look relaxed and mellow :rofl:
  8. yukisnowflake

yukisnowflake New Member

Is there a US TLC channel & a Can. TLC channel?

I looked for the show on my PVR but did not find the show listed.
  9. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Good point, Willoway. IIRC, Ice House chose NOT to participate in a show like this. There is a big difference between Training as a skater and training to be the next Snooki. All the best to them, and all that, but ...
  10. Sylvia

11. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I think that the Lake Placid competition they mention as a goal is the ISI winter competition that's schedule for early January, not any of the USFS qualifying competitions. First of all, none of the coaches mentioned have USFS certifications to coach at Regionals. Since the show was taped in September the qualifying competition entry date had already passed anyway. The "Platinum" level the coach mentions in the above clip is definitely an ISI Open Freestyle level. From the required elements for the Platimun test, I'd guess that we're talking about the Equivilent of USFS Juvenile or Intermediate competition level. Most ISI competitions split levels by age, so the competition "on Monday" must be pretty small if it has an 11-year-old and a 17-year-old in the same flight; I'm also guessing that this is probably an "in-house" competition staged for TV, there's nothing in the area on the ISI calendar and nothing at all anywhere on a Monday. The little girl talking about going to the Olympics "someday" is expressing the typical kids' dream but isn't really grounded in reality. Just the fact that the 17-year-old took the summer off to go to Peru tells me that we're not talking serious competitive skaters here.

In the clip, I didn't really hear anything too horrible from the coaches, but, no, they obviously aren't the huggy types and it seems like the show is set up more to showcase the competition between the coaching sisters first and then between the moms who are living through their daughters.
  12. Sylvia

Thanks for the additional context, zaphyre.

From the "New Skating Reality Show" thread that popped up in GSD today:
  13. Sylvia

Here's what I found listed on the Ice Skating Institute's site:

2013 ISI Lake Placid Championships
    Dates: January 10,2013 - January 13,2013
    Facility: Olympic Arena
  14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't do it. Can't watch it. I watched the first minute and I got a headache. If someone wants to trade their full coverage of 1968 Olympics for Jersey on Ice, I guess I won't ever get to see Peggy Fleming's compulsories.
  15. lulu

lulu New Member

Well, so far, I'm bored. :drama: Where's Johnny Weir when you need him? I loved his show. :D
  16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, the KIDS seemed nice...the moms and coaches were all a blond Jersey-accented blur.

So...this is ISI skating, huh? (The programs, I mean.) I've never seen ISI kids before. Huh. Um. Well. (Please tell me this is a bad sample and they're generally better than this.)
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. icecat

icecat Active Member

There is a place for ISI in the skating world, there really is. It just can't pretend to be more than it is, which is recreational skating where the coaches do the judging. It's rink based and can be like family when kids are just starting. It's figuring out where the real talent is and making the jump to USFS. Some just get stuck. Not everyone belongs in the heavily competitive world of USFS and ISI works for them. Been there done that..got out.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

aren't ISI also positioning themselves as more 'friendly' competition than USFS? Or is that just an impression?

I find it interesting that the local rink I used to take LTS lessons in didn't enroll LTS skaters in the club or USFS - I'm not even sure they are a USFS club, but they used all their materials/LTS levels.

This sounds like reality TV terrible. I feel sorry for the 11 year old if she figures out that whatever her mom signed means she can to USFS competitions - regardless of her talent or lack thereof.
  19. overedge

Well, no, it's not. ISI is also an opportunity for a lot of skating that USFS doesn't accommodate, e.g. all kinds of adult skating, different kinds of interpretives, various team events.

I've been to four ISI Worlds and a lot of regional ISI competitions, and there is a lot of really good skating at all of them. It's not just recreational skaters or people who couldn't make it in USFS.

That being said, I don't think the kids on this show would do very well in either ISI or USFS :shuffle:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  20. maatTheViking

I just saw the last 30 min. I should not watch stuff like this is I am to keep my faith in humanity...
  21. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I hope nobody thinks that's what figure skating training is really like. How embarrassing. Maybe they are trying to cash in on Dance Moms or something?
  22. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

If any of the coaches I know (USFS or ISI) talked to each other the way those four did - on the ice, in fornt of skaters and parents - they'd have been banned from the rink in twenty seconds. I feel bad for the skaters for being subjected to that squabbling - and I feel bad for the parents who pay these coaches to waste lesson time on issues that should be settled off-ice - or not even be issues at all.

The final "competition" was definitely ISI in-house. 35 events with two skaters in each group amounts to about three hours max and waiting until the end to call out the results without posting them first is not something an open competition would do.

Still, for what it was - a show about two sisters behaving badly in front of their children - I didn't think it was that terrible. At least it's the adults who were shown to be the fruitcakes and not the skaters. And it didn't really portray the sport all that badly - no ranting about corrupt judges or incomprehensible scoring :) - the major failing is that the show fails to explain the level of competition we're seeing.
  23. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a show about these women with low-level competitive skating as the milieu, not a show about skating.
  24. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Where I am, all the kids start with ISI. Then about FS3, the more serious skaters start with USFS. They continue with both -doing ISI comps to support their rink and to inexpensively try out new programs in front of judges and an audience(the bronze, silver, gold, platinum levels correspond well with USFS) and USFS comps. After they are juv/intermediate many stop ISI comps because the levels have fewer skaters so it can be more of an exhibition. But they often volunteer during the ISI comps to support their friends at the rink.
  25. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I don't think it will harm her, if she is not already a member of USFS. If she is only a member of ISI, then I would think that USFS not sanctioning the show is irrelevant. IRRC, they don't sanction ISI competitions either, and plenty of skaters skate ISI and later transfer to USFS with no issues. It would only be a problem for her if she was already a USFS member, and did not have permission from USFS to participate in an unsanctioned event (the show/and ISI competition/etc).

Now, the $$$ factor of the show could possibly be an issue with USFS eligibility. Back in my day, nobody made $$$ skating unless you were a pro so I don't know how that would fit in.

ETA: danceronice, what you saw skating-wise was no different than what you see in USFS basic skills competitions and in most older-age test-track events at USFS local comps.
  26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My understanding is there is a blanket sanction that allows eligible USFS skaters to participate in ISI competitions and events. Many kids here do regionals and also ISI.

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=230
    If compensation is not received for skating, only novice and above must report their participation to USFS.
  27. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

ISI is a wonderful organization; I'm an adult No-Test level USFS-wise and there are practically no USFS competitions anymore for an adult skater at my low level (job changes over the years put a serious dent in my skating time, I'm only getting back to it on a truly regular basis now). You learn the same skills in ISI as USFS; in fact, the USFS Basic Skills program came about as USFS (finally) realized there were other skaters out there than just those who expect to go on a seriously competitive test tract of Regionals, Sectionals, etc. I volunteer assistant coach adult beginners at a seasonal rink that concentrates on recreational skating and uses ISI levels. I really miss the ISI competitions my old group used to hold.

ISI competitions are more relaxed and fun; there are 5 awards, 3 medals and ribbons for 4th and 5th place. There also is a team aspect; the members of each ISI team have points added up based on their placements (5 points for a gold medal, 4 for silver, etc.) , and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place team trophies are awarded based on points. However, Jersey on Ice is really distorting ISI more than a bit. Those obnoxious coaches are making it sound like you have to "qualify" for the Lake Placid competition similar to Sectionals or Nationals. That's not true; any skater who is a member of ISI or a member of an ISI team can go. It's just a big ISI competition with a good reputation that attracts a lot of skaters. The concept that these coaches will "select" certain skaters over others for Lake Placid is crap; most coaches band together for Lake Placid to bring any interested ISI skater and have as big and strong a team as possible.

This show is disgusting; the bickering, the nastiness and the focus on the selfishness of the coaches over the skaters themselves does a real disservice to skating in general. Hopefully this piece of junk will be canceled quickly. And I hope none of those skaters are USFS members and won't get hurt by participating. I've read several articles about the show, and USFS skaters are weighing in strongly and negatively, pointing out that these kids are not USFS competitors and how this really doesn't represent the competitive skating world that most viewers are used to seeing. One poster noted that the producers had approached her club and the club/rink couldn't usher them out fast enough. The rink in the show has had some serious coaches, including Alexander Zhulin, but it's reputation is likely to go down the drain with this. While it might be funny, it's a train wreck and makes skating in general look bad.
  28. Sylvia

29. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

I started skating at Floyd and I have these two things to say about what I saw on the TV last night:

1. It's NOTHING like it was 14 years ago.

2. Very little of this is for show. These coaches are pretty much exactly the same in person.

Make of that what you will.
    2sk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Yazmeen

The website tells you a lot; none of the 4 coaches featured are PSA certified and only Deana holds a USFS certification Sylvia, am I correct in that you need at least one of these certifications to coach skaters for USFS competitions, and some rinks require proof of certification before they even allow you to coach your skaters on their ice? Coaches are also required to take continuing education for keep these credentials going (for the record, I'm an ISI-bronze level judge which I achieved by passing a written test, didn't go any further as I am no longer an ISI member since our ISI team disbanded and I don't compete ISI any more). Even at my level, I'm a member of PSA at the associate level as I only coach a few hours a week and my work is strictly on a volunteer basis assisting the coaches who teach adult beginners. I have no regular students; I don't have the skills or experience to do that kind of coaching. Basically, these ladies are low level coaches only really qualified to teach at the ISI level. If you want a distinction, look at Patty Ensign's qualifications and the type of coaching she does (Regional/Sectional/National competitors) vs the Jersey on Ice coaches.
  31. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

What does "Also moonlights as sparkle" mean?
  32. Sylvia

Yes, only Deana Sroka is on the current coaches' compliance list maintained by USFS (required for coaching at their test sessions, non-qualifying and qualifying competitions): http://www.usfsa.org/content.asp?menu=coaches&id=451
  33. overedge

Is the Kristin that was in last night's episode (the coach that the other three beeyotch coaches couldn't stand) Kristin Fraser? I didn't see much resemblance to the online photos.
  34. Yazmeen

No, she's Kristen Gerard, further down in the photo lineup. Again, not a USFS or PSA-certified coach. She was about the only one who seemed tolerable. She appeared to care about her students instead of the "it's all about me" attitude of the other 3. Good grief, I feel sorry for this woman coaching both Deana's and Michele's daughters, talk about a no-win situation. My husband's coach has a grown daughter who competed for years, and she always maintained a policy of being a mom, not a coach in her relationship with her daughter's coaches over the years.
  35. overedge

True, but I don't think it helped the sport that most of the coach-skater interaction was pretty negative. If parents think that's what all coaches are like, they might be reluctant to get their kids into skating.

Agreed. It would be complicated to explain USFS vs. ISI for a non-skating audience, but the basic differences could be covered fairly quickly. That, however, would take away from the show's premise that these coaches are working with all these kids that are struggling along the difficult path that one day leads to the Olympics....
  36. maatTheViking

also, the fact that the coaches were all about how the skaters winning and talking badly about each others skating. It is not the supporting environment I would want a kid doing sports in - if I wanted my kid to go into skating I would know that the chances of being super competitive are so slim, the primary goal would be to have fun and do something athletic and artistic and learn other life skills like winning/losing, dealing with nerves, performance, team spirit, kindness and so forth.
  37. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There was some discussion about skating (and spinning?) slowly or with speed, but almost nothing in terms of the coaches giving technical corrections to help the skaters improve what they were doing.

My guess is that's primarily because the producers didn't think it would be of interest to non-skating audiences, so instead they chose to focus on the motivational side of coaching. It's also possible that that's what these particular coaches spend most of their lesson time on anyway.

I think it would be valuable for audiences who are interested in getting a peek into what goes into this sport to witness some of the technical aspects of training. But even in a TV show that aims to do that and takes skating seriously, rather than one that aims to focus on controversial personalities, how much time would TV networks want to spend on coaches talking about which muscles to tighten or where to position the weight over the blade? Was there any of that in that 2006 series?
  38. Yazmeen

It's also very counterproductive behavior considering these kids are an ISI team. Part of the goal of ISI competition as I mentioned, especially at a competition like Lake Placid, is team points and doing well as a team. These women seem hellbent on the "screw the other kids, my kids have to WIN" mentality with any team aspect ranking a very distant second, if even that high.
  39. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Interesting. i used to skate with Fraser/Lukanin at the Gardens Ice House when they were there. I'm surprised she would go for this. I know of at least three rinks that turned this concept down when approached by TV guys to put this on.

As an aside, I took my European Waltz with Igor. Skating with a dancer of that level . . . :swoon:. It was awesome. I didn't look nearly as good of course when I did the solo version for the test. :shuffle:
  40. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I live in Newark now. Maybe I should take a trip to Little Falls when I need to unwind to watch a "live" taping.