Jersey on Ice - Cringe!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Dec 13, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Did anyone see this new show? I was channel surfing at midnight, last night, and flipped on TLC. I guess it premiered last night and I caught the second airing of the premiere. It is absolutely asinine. It is 3 ISI coaches from Floyd Hall, in NJ. Of course, they are Italian, loud, obnoxious, have that NJ accent (that no one in NJ really has), and know nothing about real competitive skating. They are agonizing over an in-house competition, choosing a "team" to go to a Lake Placid OPEN competition. Like that happens! And they are calling their skaters levels by names that I've never heard of. This is an embarrassment to the sport, and once again to NJ and Italian Americans.

2. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yes, I saw it, and thought it was a hot mess. It's being discussed in TV Alerts. I think the skating levels are legit ISI levels, though.

3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Does this show really need THREE threads? :lol:

Hopefully a kind mod will condense them.

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

lol, cruisin i confess to knowing people who have that accent and never lost it even after moving away to go to college

5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Me too, although it does make me cringe.

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

as it should

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I've lived in NJ all my life. I don't know anyone under 50 who speaks like that. I did know some older people, when I was a kid, who grew up in Jersey City/Hoboken areas who did have that accent. And there are people who live in Nj who have that accent, but they are originally from Staten Island, Brooklyn, Long island, etc. It makes me crazy when people from other places tell me I can't be from NJ because I don't sound like I'm from NJ. Well, I do sound like everyone else I know from NJ :).

The show is just a train wreck! Though I heard that the PSA sent out emails asking coaches if they wanted to be part of the show or knew anyone who did. Apparently, the credentialed coaches said no thank you!

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!