Jeremy Abbott's programs this season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Since there seems to be a lot of positive reaction to Abbott's new programs this season, I thought a new thread might be worth starting now. Feel free to gush away and/or to offer constructive comments on how they could be improved in your opinion(s). Yes, less snapping of the suspenders in the SP for starters! ;)

Reposting the link to an article about Abbott's programs and music from early July: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110706&content_id=21484374&vkey=ice_news
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Both are amazing.

Rich, detailed choreography, very much in character of the music. And he presents them beautifully.

What Jeremy needs to work on is his timing (it's often off).

I thought he lacked speed in the CoC SP and I am wondering whether the fact he's doing so much footwork between the elements isn't causing the program to be a bit slow. He's no Chan and he can't generate speed that easily.

I wish he projected more. He's doing all the right things but it just usually seems a little muted. He needs to attack his programs more and connect with the judges and the audience better. Sometimes it's a little deer in the headlights, which is a shame considering how good his programs are.
  3. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

I love his LP; for me, it's one of the most richly artistic and void inducing programs i've wathed in a while. Makes me feel slightly guilty for give my dog the stuff Smuckers strawberry Abbott gave me me during Stars On Ice one year :shuffle:
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  4. jlai

jlai Title-less

Well, constructive criticism first:

Jeremy absolutely needs to tack a 3 toe onto either that popped axel or the double axel near the end. Also when he missed that 3 lutz/3t/2 he should also make an effort to do a 3 sal-3t combo out of the last jump combination.

I thought he used to be more COP-jump savvy, so it's time to get the COP bit trained.

On the plus side:
    The spin and footwork level look on par with what he attempted previous GP seasons. The programs are all good. I think the construction of the long program is better than his previous two, cause there're bits of quick poses and two foot glides where he can catch a quick breath (though not long breaks ala Amodio's program, LOL)

And of course, i love Muse. I hope the introspective program will help him focus on his own skating and stop worrying about what other skaters before him were doing (even if they bring down the house).
  5. shine

shine Well-Known Member

His SP has so much character that it really doesn't feel like watching competitive skating with him anymore.

His LP is a program which one can literally get lost in and forget the passage of time. The way he's pushing himself artistically as a competitive skater is truly unbelievable.
  6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

He's trying to get into character re the suspenders and hand-clapping, fingersnapping, and I don't think he's overdoing it too much, but yes no more is needed. He opens with holding the suspenders which is fine, and he closes with holding them which brings the program full circle. The little bit of touching suspenders within the program is okay, IMO.

Lots of good, constructive criticism. I am wondering whether the positioning of Abbott's second 3-axel might need to be rethought. Also, it appears to me that he needs a lot more speed going into the quad, but do the opening strains of the music fit with going as fast as needed to launch into that quadcentric jump? Can Abbott recall what he was doing that worked when he was landing the quad very well a few seasons ago? I only ask b/c apparently it helps your rep if you have one, not that I care. A beautiful triple there in this beautiful program should be more than enough. But that's the present state of fs -- quadcentric.

ETA: I love the variation of the ending spin with his free arm and hand slowly moving down to cover his face, while he maintains speed on the spin. Everybody's seeming to go for full body black with a few sparkles, but this simple and understated costume is good for this program. Jeremy said he feels really comfortable with this program, and it shows. Keep working it, Jeremy!
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

His LP simply left me speechless. The most emotionally charged and captivating program in the past couple of year EASILY for me. It is just stunning, and barely anyone can skate a program like this but him. Just brilliant choreography and execution. I am soooo freaking spoiled with both his and Chan's and Takahashi's LPs. Combined with Kostner and Suzuki's SPs, this is the best season I can remember in terms of brilliant programs. and We haven't even seen Mao's SP yet. COP is finally sinking in and the skaters can be COP friendly AND artistically unique.

but Abbott's LP is just... for the ages. the best he's EVER had. and this is from someone who, while a huge fan of his, absolutely hated both his programs last season.
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Phil Hersh tweeted:
  9. aftershocks

^^ Yes, Mr. Fan, last season Jeremy's programs were maybe too introspective. That seems to be Jeremy's personality but it didn't work as well for him last season. Although I thought he did some amazing things with both programs last season, they just didn't fully resonate, and his hands were way too busy in the sp, especially in its initial performances. This season, happily, he switches up by having a fun, carefree sp warming him up and getting in the mood. And then, a more introspective, yet engaging, elegant, and triumphant free program, that he describes as "airy and calm ... a program where I can breathe and get into the ice, and feel the music."

Hersh, I can't decide whether you're a "brilliant fs journalist, or if there's really no there, there." Or, maybe I can decide. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Me, too. I've rewatched it about 5 times and each time I am mesmerized. It is so gorgeously, understated. Just draws me in.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Dear Hersh, there is definitely not much there, under your thick skull so stfu.

How can he say something like that?

Abbott's FS is full of upper body movement, performed pretty much all the time. There could be more actual skating movements in it and the layout could be more complex but still it's way way better constructed than the vast majority of programs this season.

I am really glad that the judges went with both programs, giving him highest PCS at CoC.

And Abbott also deserves a lot of respect for showing two programs that are very different in mood and style and totally delivering in both.

P.S. Why do people keep saying LP when it's FS (or FP if anything)? :p
  12. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

13. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Because most Free Skates feel very Looooooong, and anything but Free?

I enjoyed Jeremy's Free, because it actuallly looked free, powerful, light,new, and unencumbered. It was the total opposite of the overblown, lumbering skate to a warhorse movie theme.
  14. aftershocks

^^ :)

BTW, Hersh, I think the Eurosport commentators are a lot more brilliant than you in regard to figure skating. Not only is the there, there in Jeremy's FS performance ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0rvI_tBPAw sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=radyY9alArk fp

Eurosport commentators on Jeremy after his free skate:

"What a masterpiece that program is. I loved it. The transitions in and out of the jumps -- just to die for. And it makes the jumps so much more difficult. The entry into that triple flip was beautiful."

"It was a terrific performance."

"The amount of energy, effort and time that went into that program -- phenomenal. I loved it -- really, really loved it. I could watch this guy skate all day."

"Yeah, and he looks a good guy too, so you wish the best for him."
  15. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yep. You just have 13 required elements instead of 7
  16. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the links! I was so bummed I missed the competition. I can't wait to see these programs on a bigger screen. I loooove the long program. LOTS of there there.

And it looks like his spins have improved, too.
  17. aftershocks

Here's a link to universalsports clip of Jeremy's fp without commentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJ62MB4szA

Plus you should be able to click on the full screen feature in lower right hand corner for your viewing pleasure. :)
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Between YouTube and fsvids.net, everything is easily available online nowadays.
  19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

His LP is :swoon: x infinity.
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I can't stop gushing about these two routines, especially the LP. It's truly a work of art. Phil Hersh acts like he knows about musicality and art, but his comment about Abbott surely shows what a pleb he is.
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:respec: :respec: :respec:
  22. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

Totally in love with his LP. Mesmerizing, indeed.
  23. aftershocks

Thanks for the link, Polymer Bob, re Jeremy, "Olympic Athlete of the Week."

Double congrats to Jeremy!!

Jeremy to Yuka in the kiss 'n cry after seeing his scores: "Oh, I got a medal."
    Yes, Jeremy, and the color is gold! Best of luck, Jere-amazin. Keep going strong! There is work yet to be done.

Redemption is attained not only through victory, but is felt within the power of the music and the movement … the journey to it and through it. Thanks for sharing the emotion of that experience with us, Jeremy.

"All my successes have been built on my failures."
    ~ Benjamin Disraeli

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. ... I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
    ~ Michael Jordan

"If there exists no possibility of failure, then victory is meaningless."
  24. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to watch the performance live in Shanghai.

I had tears running through my eyes as he finished his FP. I cannot remember when was the last time that skating had this kind of impact on me. The FP reminded me all the things I loved about skating (which I had almost completely forgotten about since I quit skating personally and started going to grad school / starting my job in the office).

Thank you Jeremy Abbott.
    Miriam246 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

The LP is simply stunning. IMO, what it parallels is Jeff Buttle's Naqoyqatsi (sp?) LP.

I am a dissenter, though, on this season's SP; it's OK but it doesn't make my jaw drop the way "A Day in the Life" did a couple of years ago.
  26. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean! I tear up everytime I watch his LP too; it's like it is a summation of his entire career up to this point. I can't help but flashback in my mind to all the memories of different programs Jeremy has given us and all of his highs and lows along the way when I watch it. The "Redemption" theme of the program permeates through the introspective tone of the music and free, beautiful movement of his entire body as he performs. This is definitively the most memorable figure skating program I have seen in quite some time. IMO, it is epic and iconic; I guess I just "get" Jeremy and I think he "gets" me too. He has never disappointed me and I will always be his fan! To consistently season after season produce programs that are like fine artistic masterpieces that have the ability to effectively touch the viewer's soul is an incredible talent and Jeremy does this again and again and again. What a beautiful skater and man! GUSH x INFINITY! :swoon::cheer2::encore:
  27. crystalice

crystalice Banned Member

Is there even a program in his LP? :rolleyes:
  28. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

:blah: Hersh's statement only serves to cement his douchebag status. :EVILLE: Congratulations, a-hole. :shuffle:

:respec:
  29. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

LP means Long Program it is a term that was used for years in figure skating you had the Short Program and the Long Program. Now days the term FS is used but some folks still use LP myself included.

BOT: I agree with all of the folks praising Jeremy's program, for me Jeremy's program had everything in it that I love about figure skating. Jeremy showed us his soul on the ice and that is a rare talent, he was in the zone.
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You really need to get your eye sight tested.
  31. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The official name was always Free Skate, but colloquially many people referred to it as the Long Program, abbreviated LP.

That's probably more true now when the rules for the long program don't make it very free any more. ;)

Peggy Fleming even named her autobiography The Long Program, and in her day there was no short program, just school figures and free skate.
  32. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jeremy's programs over the last three seasons - particularly his LP/FS - have reflected choreographic and artistic sophistication rarely seen is skating.
    I can't think of another current skater with the combination of technique and innate artistry required to bring them "to life".
    It has been, and is, a privilege to watch him skate.

Jeremy is a mature artist, elevating the sport, through his work.
    We are/skating is very fortunate to be able to see it.
  33. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

^^This! I just love Jeremy and his LP really gave me goosebumps. It was just beautiful! I really love that he challenges himself every season and his two programs this season continue that tradition. :swoon:
  34. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Well I learned something new today. I never heard of the LP referred to as
    the FS back in the day. Thanks for the info. ;)
  35. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Why would he? Well, it got us talking and probably clicking on his articles. He reads here, he knows most of us (myself included) have been gushing and gushing about this LP. Most likely, he means to provoke and is usually successful.

Christine Brennan discovered "the controversial reporting in figure skating" market, Hersh is just following the lead.
  36. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

This is the 4th or 5th year he's gone out of his way to do at least ONE program that sticks out from the rest of the men in choreography, transitions, and interpretation. This year it's both of his programs, he better be rewarded for it. The LP from the theme, to the way he moves, to the choreography with full body movement, jumps that just randomly happen because you are always paying attention to what his feet are doing.. :swoon:

He's way too far behind a few of the guys to really challenge for a World title, but my biggest wish this year (other than Mirai being World Champ) is for Jeremey to finally win a World medal. :cheer2:
  37. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think Jeremey is just making it look too easy. The program can appear empty because it is subtle. None of his transitions look hard, so the viewer seems to be assuming they aren't hard. But if you actually quantify what his blades are doing, the upper body movement- his program is PACKED.

His long program isn't my favorite (I prefer fun to introspective, like his short) but it is a great program.
  38. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I agree with your wish. It's already quite bizarre he hasn't got a world medal (as :confused: as Nobu not having it). Well, it's clear why they don't have it, it's just pretty shocking!
    I concur with the general feeling of everyone about his programs. Specially his lp. I enjoyed the program of the Kerrs to the same music last season but his takes it to another level. It's his best program ever by a long shot and the highlight of the season for me (along S/S modern dance fest program)

About Mirai, I hope she doesn't become world champion with those programs she has. I like her a lot, but that'd be a terrible competition if it happens
  39. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

^ It would be no worse than Miki Ando's programs from the year prior winning, plus she's potentially a waaay better skater ;) I think the LP will be much different by the time Nationals are here.
  40. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE. I don't think there's a program of his that I haven't liked. He's showing a ton of versatility and ease in adopting many different movement styles (though I think he had a harder time growing into last year's flamenco SP--it took a while).

Whether he wins any enormous titles/medals or not before retiring (whenever that may be), it sets him up well for a future in professional skating and choreography.