Jeremy Abbott's new LP: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Kwantumleap, Oct 25, 2010.

Jeremy Abbott's new LP: yay or nay?

1. yay

151 vote(s)
    79.1%
  2. nay

17 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. not sure

23 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

His performance is up on youtube if you search the most recent videos of Jeremy. It's definitely one of the more original ones I've heard for a skating program. The cut is interesting and unpredictable, but it's easy to max out on choreography (not necessarily in a good way) with all the emotional shifts in the music.

Abbott almost seems like the new Buttle. Aside from the other similarities, he's got a knack for orchestral programs. This program's not that hopeful, though, and I think it can get a bit depressing and maybe even detract from the energy level, especially in comparison to the flow and attack that Takahashi had.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I just finished watching it and I loved it. The programme seems really...different from the ones he's usually done - this one is more 'mainstream', I suppose. The footwork sequence in the middle to the playful beats of the music was really nice, and I didn't like that my favourite part of the LIB score wasn't used but pleasantly enough it came on eventually and Jeremy just moved so well to it. I'm excited to see how the programme will look like once it's matured, and I'm hoping the underrotated jumps won't persist throughout the season.

Oh, and he needs to lose the LP costume, stat. The SP one, too. Speaking of the SP, now that one I didn't care for at all - there was much too much going on with his hands and arms throughout the entire performance. A little subtlety goes a long, long way with me.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love it!

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It is a beautiful, a very beautiful program.
    Soft music, nice costume, intricate choreography, light and touching, very subtle.
    I don't like the last step sequence, but this program is full of little things I discover each time I watch it. And the entrance into the 3Salchow is wonderful !

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Abbott went directly after Takahashi at NHK. I was worried that any program going after that would feel flat; but Abbott's did not. It's really intricate and interesting, and I felt it was one of the few men's programs I've seen so far this year that can compete with that of Takahashi.

Abbott's program is really different, and I feel it suits him well.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's already wonderful.
    I look forward to watching it develop throughout the season.

7. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Definitely gets a yay from me! I enjoyed seeing both his new programs and loved the freeskate; I think (and hope) it will only get better from NHK. And I hope he continues to show the confidence he had this weekend; it was wonderful to see.

8. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I love it, I think it's gorgeous.

9. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Having seen the movie, his LP moved me and I thought it was exquisite. I thought he put a lot of emotion into it and expressed it so well to the audience.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

If anyone has not done so, please see the movie - 'La Vita e bella' or 'Life is Beautiful'. Be ready to grab a handkerchief :(

Jeremy's LP is wonderful as usual, but it's a special pleasure for me to watch it because of this music. There is an especially haunting piece of the music that Jeremy doesn't really utilize except for a brief excerpt towards the end of his LP. It sounds like an old broken piano played solo [I don't know how else to describe it. Sorry] Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :)

11. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

wuzrobbed of a "yay yay yay" option. :mad: :p

Amazing program, and this is saying a lot since this weekend was the first competition for it. :watch: Looking forward to seeing JA develop it and add to the nuances as the season plays out.

12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Loved it. There's so much to discover in that program. And I was moved emotionally even if it was the first time out.

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I liekd it, and I liked the little dance he did at NHK when he was coming off the ice. lol.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Abbott followed Takahashi for the short program, but not for the LP, right? I do agree that in the SP he built on the excitement of the previous program, where it could have easily felt a bit like Kwiatkowski's LP at US Nats in 1998.

15. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

I think it has lots of potential, but just saw it on icenetwork. Needs much more pizzazz and energy (and some color in his outfit) to be noticed next to Takahashi. It seems to have great technical and artistic components on its own, but he needs to step it up in competition if he wants to be noticed.

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Very much captures the spirit of the movie and the personality of the main character. Yippee yay.

17. casken

casken Well-Known Member

A reluctant yay.

I like his previous three LPs more, but this one is still pretty nice.

18. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Loved it. It seemed to fly by, I was so mesmerized. I will enjoy seeing this one again and again.

19. jlai

jlai Title-less

I perfer his waltz and tango, but like this one better than Saint Saens.

20. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I like this delightful program, (and that worries me). The only other program of his I liked right off the bat was the Waltz LP from a couple years back. It took me a while to warm up to 8 seasons (because of the music- it was amazing choreography) , and the Saint Saens didn't make any kind of sense to me at first. It was a great vehicle for his skating, though.

Does anyone think the Life is Beautiful program is too "North American" for European and Asian Judges? (Yes, I know it's from an Italian Movie soundtrack)

It will be interesting to see how this program matures. I especially like the playful step sequence mid way through.

21. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Yay most definitely!

22. meteor16

meteor16 New Member

I loved it!!! It was a very beautiful program.
    A salute to Mr. Wilson :respec:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  23. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

YAY!!! Beautiful and poignant.
    I hope that some of the emotion wouldn't be lost for somebody who does not know the movie- because the image and story that David and Jeremy created is tightly connected to "La Vita e Bella".
    I love that there is... looking for words.. so much air and light in the program. Every element is lovingly painted.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  24. shine

shine Well-Known Member

:swoon: That's very beautifully put!

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

dinakt, I'd "rep" you, if I could!

26. floskate

floskate Vacant

I think it's genius but that's JMO of course, and that's coming from someone who doesn't normally like Wilson's work, but Jeremy does seem to bring out the best in him, or maybe it's Jeremy who has the facility to bring Wilson's true imagination to life, rather than generic face stroking paste on programs that most of his devotees end up with.

The glorious edge work alone is enough to have me :swoon: all season over this program. LOVE the skid spiral and all the really angular and counter revolution choreography he does in and out of jumps.

Daisuke is wonderful too and obviously has the high impact performance level and he needs it because there's no doubt in my mind that Jeremy has infinitely the better program. That kind of 'oversell' would ruin the thematic nature and choreography of Abbott's program IMO.

27. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Definite yay from me! This is truly my favorite Abbott LP thus far.

28. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It gets a YAY from me!!!

Not only does it suit him wonderfully, but there's a move in it that I was starting to think I'd never ever see again in an eligible program. A skid spiral!!! It's also been put in a perfect place to go along w/the music as well.

Love it, love it love it and can't wait to see it get even better as the season goes along. :D

29. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

Do you have to go see every movie a skater is using as inspiration in order to appreciate the skating? I don't think so. A skater may be inspired by it, but you have to sell it to judges and an audience that may never have laid eyes on same. It doesn't have the same impact for those who have not seen the movie unless the skater adds that into the program. That's why, in my opinion, he needs to get some energy or "pizzazz' added in because no matter how good/great it is, he is being compared (unconsciously or maybe not) to Takahashi.

To compare, Kwan's Red Violin was one of my favorite programs - I felt what she was portraying and expressing, but I have never seen the movie. Don't need to.

30. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

I love it! Especially the transitions.