Jeremy Abbott withdraws from 4cc due to an injury

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ChibiChibi, Feb 4, 2012.

1. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Who knew Vancouver, BC had relocated to the US :shuffle:?

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Really? I thought he was one of ours. That's okay. Canada can have him and his "wrong" spelling of colors. :D

3. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

This thread, sadly, took a turn in a much less fun direction.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I look at it differently: all serious skating fans should know their abbreviations well so we can all save time googling five-syllable names and verifying correct spellings. :p

Perhaps we could have a guide posted as to who initials refers to somewhere on the board. Plus, we need to do something about multiple same-initial pairs. For example, I still get confused sometimes when S&Z is used to refer Zoueva and _____ (I WILL PROBABLY SPELL HIS NAME WRONG), as my mind immediately thinks of Shen and Zhao.

But really, there are enough letters in the alphabet that it isn't much of a problem.

P

5. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I would guess that most elite skaters have a sore hip on their landing side. I'm hoping Jeremy's (that's Abbott for the thread Nazi's) dropping out of 4 Continents is a routine bid for rest and nothing more serious. I'm really looking forward to seeing him skate at Worlds. He's a skater whose choreography and interpretive skills continue to grow.

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Whereas if we were still focusing on Jeremy's injury it would be a real hoot. :rolleyes:

Ok tell me who I'm referring to when I say D&S, ice dancing team?

Delobel/Shoenfelter?
    Domnina/Shabalin?
    Denkova/Staviyski?

7. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:lol: This thread is just full of laughs!! :rofl:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Lots of people say DelShoes, DomShabs, and DenStav. See, problem solved! :)

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I was answering Japanfan who implied that serious skating fans should know their abbreviations like V & T instead of having to write Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar. So I was pointing out that some abbreviations are still not clear even to serious skating fans.

10. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

THIS. I have no issue with sending Dornbush, I think his Natl's SP was an aberration, not a sign of weakness. As for Armin, he has a lot of talent, but I agree here. During this year's long program, he looked as though he was ticking off the elements and not connecting with the music and audience like he did with that magical SA skate last year. He needs to find his mojo and that connection to really contend at the world level.

haribobo and (deleted member) like this.
  11. jlai

jlai Title-less

If you downplay the arguments against an athlete (say, Dornbush bombing in the short at a high-pressure qualifying event) and up the arguments in favor, you can basically argue for sending a large number of skaters in the men's. You can say you should send Armin for being 4th at nationals, or sending Razzano for a steady season, or Carriere for major improvement (plus having landed a quad at an international), and the arguments go on. In short, it becomes a game of which argument you choose to support which athlete.

Which is why it's better to stick to recent competition results, with nationals bearing the most weight. None of the men below Miner at nationals medalled at the GP, given that, Armin is the next natural pick. Had they picked Armin, everyone would nod in agreement, and there would be no discussion.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Just to be clear, my issue is not with bad spellers or all of the wondrous, lovely, incredulous, charming Americans that I adore. :grope: :D My issue is with not using a skater's full name, specifically when that skaters shares a first or last name with another skater.

:lol: And I thought you were Canadian (a Torontonian)!

And to post at least something on topic in this thread, I hope Abbott is doing better soon. The thought the an injury is keeping him from being at 4CC (Four Continents Championships) is such bad news...please be healthy for Worlds!!!

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed those types of mashed-together nicknames. :lol: The ones I don't like are the ones that hardly bear any resemblance to the person. I've read D10 for Dennis Ten and my first thought was, "the camera?"

Anyway...

My theory is that Abbott isn't even injured, and this is just an excuse to rest up for Worlds. 4CC is right on the heels of Nationals, competing and traveling is exhausting, even within your own country. Plus, Czisny isn't going (declined before the list was published or not selected at all?), so why separate Yuka and Jason from her for a week? I'm sure Abbott's priority is Worlds, and 4CC means nothing.

None of this bothers me in the least. Send Dornbush, he's been stronger all season. It's too bad that his SP was so ridiculously bad that he couldn't pull up higher than 13th, because it does look rather silly to send someone who placed so low.

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Adam Rippon is going to 4CCs and he's in the Yuka/Jason camp. (?)

15. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Also Haruka Imai.

16. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I think Rippon has more to gain by going to 4CCs while Jeremy and Alissa have more to lose, if that makes sense.

ETA: Haruka Imai is with Yuka and Jason? When did that happen? I clearly haven't been paying attention.

17. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

My point is one or both of Yuka and Jason are going to 4CCs. Therefore I questioned vesperholly's theory.

18. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

19. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I was enjoying the politiking discussion.

20. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I acknowledged that problem.

For these three we had the short form combined name solution: Delshoes
    Domshab and Denstav :)

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

OK then ;) ... the following was posted today in the US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry re. the 4CC assignments:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  22. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Abbott is (supposedly) going to Colorado Springs during 4CC anyway, to visit his folks and see a Physician at the Oly Training center.

(hopefully not the same one that cleared Rachael Flatt to skate)

So I'm thinking he probably has medical issues. Otherwise I'd think the whole thing was a ploy to rest Abbott, and give Ricky a chance at 4CC

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

His FS wasn't a disaster but I think the points and placement he got for it was a bit of a gift. I think the judges wanted to make sure he broke 200 points and pulled up significantly, so they gave him nearly 150 points for a FS which IMO deserved 140, maybe a little less. His FS was okay but certainly not his best. He maybe deserved to be above Armin in the FS but by a few points at most. Idk. I really like Ricky and I'm glad he's getting this chance but Armin really should be the one going. I mean, if they both went with Ross and Adam was not sent because he'd already gotten Worlds, I'd think that would be more fair than the current situation. Idk.

I just feel gutted for Armin. I think there are cases where it's explainable to give a post-nats assignment to someone that did not skate well at nationals. For example, Josh Farris. Only 2 skaters in the senior men's field were age eligible and the other one was already being sent, the top junior men eligible had no 3a and scored lower than Josh overall despite skating less flawed programs, and Josh did very very well on the JGP this season, winning both his events, medaling at the JGPF, and putting up a score that's 22 on the SB list at a junior event. In that situation, it makes sense to send Josh to JW ahead of Phillip Warren despite his 16th place at nationals vs. Warren's 3rd place at junior nationals and clean FS. Josh is a favorite to win the JW title and Warren would be lucky to make the top 5 and made big improvements from his GP events at nationals, the USFS would have been dumb not to name Farris to the team.

The Ricky-Armin situation is different though, because it's not like Dornbush dominated in his GP events. If he had even medaled at one event, then I think the assignment could be justified, but he didn't, he placed 4th and 6th and his scores were a bit meh. Sure, Armin did really bad at his GPs, but I don't think he should be passed over for having bad GP events because another skater who bombed at Nats and finished 9 spots below him had okay GP events. Just a dicey situation all around. Further, it's not like Ricky is likely to win or even medal at 4CC, I'd be very surprised if he did, so it's not as though that's why he's been sent. In any event, I hope he delivers and proves he was the right choice because otherwise the USFS is going to look very stupid in their decision.

24. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

So Czisny politely declined Four Cs but Abbott flat out lied to get out of going? I'm not buying that.

25. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I can say as a recreational skater my right hip gets pretty sore from intense training, I can imagine it is much worse for a high level skater. Taking off to rest his hip is a legitimate excuse when he needs to train for Worlds. It doesn't mean he is lying. The U.S. has skaters ready to go to 4CC who do not need to train for Worlds and who welcome the opportunity to compete, so why not take off? Please don't wish a more serious injury on him, he's the best we've got.

26. sadc

sadc New Member

According to Jason, Alissa was planning to go to 4CC. Unless those plans changed between when he was interviewed (post-free skate) and the team announcements, she was passed over for the event.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  27. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Whereas I'm petty enough to want USFS to look stupid (just like I am over Phaneuf vs LaCoste).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  28. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Word around San Jose was that they changed their mind(s)...Alissa needs to train and rest. She did enough competitions this season.

29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The post you quoted is not mine. Did you delete pinky166's name and enter my name in her place? :confused:

30. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Jeremy Ten's twitter says that Alissa said she didn't get selected for 4CCs.