Jeremy Abbott withdraws from 4cc due to an injury

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ChibiChibi, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

(Whole Post)

Well put, Marco.

The other part is that Ross, Armin and Doug are the alternates for Worlds, so there is some sharing.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I read the Detroit Free Press Article. According to Yuka, it sounds like the back spasms which are affecting his hip were brought on by fatigue. It doesn't sound serious by any means *whew*

They are withdrawing from 4CC's to play it safe.

3. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I hope this is right but that's exactly what you would expect a coach to say at this stage.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

He obviously hasn't learned his lesson from the time he made catty remarks about Laura Lepistö. Dude needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and his fingers still.

5. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Politiks at its finest. :smokin: I suspect this carefully engineered "campaign" began as soon as Dornbush got off the ice in the short program.

I think it is almost always wrong to give a skater who finished lower at Nationals a Worlds/4CC/Jr Worlds spot over a skater who receives no assignment.

And "first alternate" my ass. They knew Dornbush would be going when they named the teams.

6. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Probably true, but I'll always think if unfortunate that an athlete can't speak the truth because of the politiks. It would be reasonable to think that Armin would be annoyed since the Alternate list was "atypical", and that is not meant as anything against Dornbush.

7. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

:rofl:

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:eek:

Good for him. This is ridiculous.

Dornbush better skate his ass off at this competition. He was given a huge gift.

9. Vagabond

It isn't a matter of "politiks" so much as sportsmanship and maturity. And it isn't a question of what feelings he has but rather whether and how he chooses to express them.

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That's 100% untrue. I, and many others, were griping about this exact thing when the lists came out.

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

ITA. I didn't have a problem with last year's 4CC assignments, because the top 3 were all going to Worlds.

totally

12. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

He said nothing negative about Dornbush, so he's not showing poor sportsmanship at all.
    And as long as it's expressed in civilized terms, I'm all for skaters -and anyone else, really- saying what they think.
    Otherwise...yeah, let's have a Disneyworld full of sanitized bots who are always happy about everything.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Vagabond

Getting upset when you aren't picked for the team (or are kept on the bench) is regarded as poor sportsmanship, even when he you don't say anything particular about those who were picked ahead of you. Most people learn this (either through personal experience or direct observation) growing up.

But what was so "civilized" about the way he expressed his thoughts?

The fact that he deleted the tweet indicates that Mahbahnoozadeh himself recognized he'd made a faux pas.

14. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm starting to like this kid :watch:

15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Am I an uber for someone who is going to be one of the 'hated' on FSU? Any tips? :slinkaway

16. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I know...I was thinking something mildly similar. I haven't quite hit uber status on Ricky-yet-but I do love his skating.

As a Rachael uber (I feel less excited about her lately. I was hoping she'd return to that awesome skating she did when she was 12-14, but I haven't seen it yet), be your natural uber self and defend him at every given chance! :D

I'm joking around, of course.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I suppose there is some strategy in giving Dornbush a shot to stay in the top 24 SB list to get a non-host spot at GP. (He's 23rd now and is likely to drop down the list after scores posted at the upcoming championships.) Razzano and Mahbanoozadeh would have to skate significantly better than they did at GP just to match Dornbush's current SB score.

Dornbush's coach, Tammy Gambill, isn't the Princess of Politik, as far as I know.

18. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well, Ricky had better not biff the short program again. Maybe he should talk to Evan about how he got over his SP-itis.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  19. mjames

mjames New Member

Agree Louis, spot on analysis.

Dornbush is ranked 27th not 23rd currently. If the agrument was to advance a skater in ranking Keegan is only 2 spots lower in 29th place and finished several places higher at nationals, so I don't think that theory is patent.
    As long as I have the page open FYI: ISU Rankings as of today
    Jeremy 7th, Adam 14th only 2 in top 24.
    Next is Dornbush at 27th, Keegan 29th, Brandon 33rd, Ross 35th, Armin 39th Jason Brown 41st and Josh 49th.
    2011-2012 Seson Best list:
    Jeremy 7th, Adam 15th, Ross 18th, Jason Brown 20th, Josh 22nd and finally Ricky 23rd.

I can't comment if she is the Princess of Ploitik but however you feel about any unfairness....she represented her skater and did the impossible got someone with a below average season, the worst national performance one could imagine to jump up 10 spots and represent his country at an ISU championship! That is a lot more than any princess could ever do---she is a miracle worker. Doesn't Armin train in COS now, isn't that the headquarters of USFS?

20. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yes. And also ...

Versus this year's home-4CC, last year's was overseas, ergo those going to both 4CC and Worlds would have a LOT of traveling to do in [what was supposed to have been] just a few weeks.

And, opposed to this year's top 2 being the US's assumed strongest int'l guys, last year's results were a HUGE upset, wherein the favorites had done the best in the GP and had the resumes and experience ... only to be edged out at USNs (in Jeremy's) case by a scant margin.

I actually don't have much of a problem with Dornbush's going this year, but last year's was even more of a sensible case.

21. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

:rofl: Witty kid.

What is catty about what he said? The alternate list was a joke.

OMG, it's poor sportmanship & lack of maturity for him to make a joke about it? I guess you'd rather he rant & rave or cry or whine. As for him deleting his tweet, I'm sure it was to appease critics like you.

ETA: if I were Dornbush I would be embarrassed by the obvious favoritism which he did not earn on the GP circuit.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  22. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I understand USFS feeling Dornbush has greater overall potential - I'd still say that myself despite Ricky's subpar season. But 13th place trumping 4th at Nats is wrong IMO.

Armin sacrificed Darthmouth IIRC for skating. I have to wonder how he feels about that now...

23. Vagabond

It was his remarks about Laura Lepistö and her perceived lack of jumping ability that were catty, not his remarks about the alternate list.

24. floskate

floskate Vacant

Then why use the word catty and bring up his comments on Lepisto to validate your point about what he said regarding the 4CC's alternates list? :confused:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He's 27th on the World Standings list. He's 23rd on the Season's Best (SB) list:
    http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtsmto.htm

Top 24 SB are guaranteed a spot on GP.

I'm not convinced it was Gambill who politiked her skater to first alternate spot.

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Who do you believe is the culprit? :watch:

27. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

I don't think Gambill is a master politik at all. I think it's more USFS wanting to promote Dornbush because his skating style is more similar to Ryan Bradley, Michael Weiss, etc (and it's no secret historically USFS prefers to promote those type of skaters..... :eek: )

But objectively, I still think Dornbush deserves that 4cc spot simply because the rules state that it's based on last year and this year's performances.

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Awful news! I really wanted to see Jeremy Ten at 4CC after he did so well in his return to Canadian Nationals. Who is Ricky by the way? Sounds Hispanic?

Sasha'sSpins, shan, danafan and 5 others like this.
  29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I think you're probably right, but it would be fun to have a big scandal. But still, I think you're right.

And I do agree. I'm not actually that much of an Armin fan, and I feel like Ricky is stronger on the whole.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Are you being sarcastic due to the US-centric post?

Just in case you aren't- Richard Dornbush (USA) is replacing Jeremy Abbott (USA). He is not hispanic...at least I've never heard it mentioned.
    Ricky won silver at US Nats last year, but bombed his short this year and placed poorly.

4CCs skaters are by country, so if a Canadian skater withdrew, they would be replaced by a Canadian skater.