Jeremy Abbott withdraws from 4cc due to an injury

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ChibiChibi, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well then, goooooo Ricky!!! :) :)

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Redemption for Ricky.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That is so many kinds of wrong. I hope he does well, but he really, really did not deserve that slot after Nationals.

5. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I think Richard was chosen because:

Reposting from Sylvia's post in May 2011-

"69. APPROVED – International Committee
    Amend rule ICR 6.04 (B) (page 64, Rulebook) to update the selections criteria for the Four Continents Championships as follows:
    B. Four Continents Championships:
    The team will be selected from those athletes who are ISU senior age eligible. Selection to the U.S. Four Continents Team will be based upon the results of the two most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Championship, the most recent Four Continents Championship and all other international events; however, the International Committee may consider extenuating circumstances. Exceptions to the age-eligibility rules which are granted by the ISU will always be allowed.
    Implementation date: September 1, 2011 "

Richard did very well at Nationals last year, fine at Worlds last year, great at his two GPs this fall, and not so great at this year's Nationals, but it all averages out to top alternate.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Poor Armin :(

7. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Well, so much for USFSA's selection of the alternates not making that much difference. Hopefully Ricky will be able to put Nationals behind him and :kickass:

8. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

If he doesn't people will really be :wuzrobbed Armin.

9. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Hope Jeremy recovers in time for Worlds. Go Richard!

10. figurefan

figurefan New Member

I like Richard but I think Armin should have gotten the chance. Good luck to Richard anyway, hope he gets over his bad Nationals experience and puts out two great programs.

11. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:wuzrobbed of seeing Jeremy's amazing programs live again. Still, hopefully he will get well and be able to come back healthy in Nice.

12. bek

bek Guest

Well one could argue that Armin got Richard's earned 4 Continents spot last year. You didn't see them not giving the world medalists four continents-this year did you. And Ricky and Miner maybe could have used that experience.

Although I understand the angst given how poor Dornbush's nationals was.

13. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

<thunk>

That would be the sound of the other shoe dropping.

When the Four Continents and Worlds assignments came out, I was very puzzled: I couldn't figure out why USFS would manipulate the alternates list for Four Continents, of all things. There are other ways to encourage a skater without appearing to discourage someone else (though I'm as confident as I can be, without actually having inside information, that this is all about Dornbush and no reflection on Mahbanoozadeh).

Now it seems likely that USFS knew about Abbott's minor injury all along and figured it would allow them to put whoever they wanted in the Alt #1 slot and get him to Four Continents with less uproar than would occur if they fiddled with the initial competitive assignments. Frankly, the word "gutless" comes to mind.

We have a bunch of talented men in the Mahbanoozadeh/Dornbush age cohort. I'd prefer that the most recent Nationals results not be overridden if it means top finishers get no post-Nationals assignment at all, and certainly not in a case like this when there was a huge scoring gap in favor of the skater being bumped. To me, what was done this year is quite different from the "spreading the wealth" approach employed in 2011. I hope the International Committee rethinks its philosophy.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Had Dornbush finished just a few spots behind Armin, I could have understood giving him (Rick) the 4CC spot, but with such a poor showing at nationals, I think the 4th place finisher should have been given the spot. The most recent nationals results need to count a lot more than they did in this case. Now if RD skates like he did at Nationals (hopefully not), the USFSA is going to look even worse. May be they will do what they in the Oscars. Next year, send Armin after he finishes 10 spots behind Dornbush who places 4th at the nationals.

15. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

16. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Darn, Im late, hip injury ? good luck for Worlds :(
    Dornbush is fine but I feel really bad for Armin

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how Armin feels about all this? I assume he isn't too pleased but has he been vocal about it at all?
    That being said, I'm happy for Ricky and hope he can redeem himself and do his best!

18. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

well I'm curious too how Armin feels about this too but we probably will not get any statements from him. reminds me of Chynthia/Amelie but at least both have the chance to duke it off in the same competition.

19. bek

bek Guest

Its not completely a Cynthia/Amelie situation in that I believe Dornbush did do better internationally this year. And once again I love how Armin fans ignore the fact that if things were done as they were always done Dornbush would have had 4ccs and Worlds last year. But it does suck for Armin.

20. sadc

sadc New Member

21. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

On Jeremy's FB, a WM wrote "don't worry. Jeremy it's getting evaluated and treated so he'll be good to go in Nice", so I assumed it's not a serious injury. I guess I shouldn't have said "a minor hip injury" since we don't know yet. Sorry if I caused a confusion.

22. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Seems a poor choice to me as well. If the decision is based on his placement at Nationals and Worlds last year, it's a poor rationale IMO.

23. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

24. sadc

sadc New Member

The link used to be in reply to someone asking him to tell them a joke. His reply was "the Four Continents alternate list."

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Take good care of that hip, Jeremy!

26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Given what happened last year for the World Team, I would guess the USFS is getting more conservative into who they choose to send to Championships. Remember the uproar against the USFS last year for strictly going by Nationals placements and ditching Abbott for Miner?

Objectively: Armin at 4CCs last year received over 20 points less than what Richard got at Worlds last year (only US men in top ten and saving US' second spot). This season, Armin placed 8th and 10th against Richard's 4th and 6th in the GPs. Armin's 2011-12 season's best score is 20 points lower than Richard's. Richard beat Armin at the free at Nationals. So the only one time where Richard truly tanked was Nationals sp. If I were USFS, I would give Richard a chance too. If not for the result potential, then at least for the mere fact that Richard's placement at Nationals may not be good enough to secure him international assignments for next season.

I am frankly LOL-ing that no one said a word about this when the list was announced, but now everyone is jumping all over the place when it really happens. I would only expect this kind of reaction when one of the ladies pull out and Flatt gets sent.

27. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

:confused:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82336&page=2

This was discussed by plenty of people in the US assignment thread in the US Nationals sub forum on this board. Many had a problem with it then and they still have a problem with it now.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Mahbanoozadeh went to 4C's last year with Rippon and Abbott after placing 6th at US Nationals, and the top three were skipped and not given the opportunity to earn $$$ and likely higher WS points. If anyone should feel wuzrobbed, it would be Razzano.

29. mjames

mjames New Member

I don't understand why anyone could say "Ricky did well on the Grand Prix" ????
    This bothered me so much I looked up his record because I don't remember him even competing. In China he was last in the short and 5th in the free finishing 6th overall with a 205. At Skate America he was 5th in the short and 6th in the long finishing 4th overall with a 202. Doug Razzano beat Ricky in the freeskate at Skate America and in both the short and the free at US Nationals and finished 8 spots ahead of him.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!