Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

arakwafan2006

Jeremy seems so lost. He looks afraid and almost vacant when he takes the ice. The biggest problem that I have with his skating now is that he has gotten worse over the past few years. The spins used to take my breath away and now they are just ok. He used to command the space he stood in whereas now, it looks like he's emotionally hanging on by a thread. From the outside looking in, it seems like Jeremy and Yuka are more buddies than coach/pupil. I dont get the sense that she demands excellence from him the way that say Rafael does from his skaters.

Jeremy is beyond capable but it's been years since he's skated like the champion he could be. This past Nationals was not a good look.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yeah, I think the USFS has been fair to him until now. I did think this year's Nationals, though, the judges were not as generous with him as they were with some others and wondered if the judges were telling him something. (Well, for starters, they were telling him to skate clean, but I was surprised his PCS were not higher esp in the SP, and it looked like he was, too.)

That's the impression I got too. Both Johnny and Tara expected him to place first in the SP, so his 3rd place and relatively low PCS (for his skating) were a bit of a surprise.

VGThuy

I think Jeremy thinks that the judges are sending him a message. In the LP KnC, he said that he knew he was going to score "low but not that low." Even if it was deserved, he seemed surprised.

tarotx

His short program was a beauty. He deserved first place there imo. But because he has failed a lot internationally the US will expect tech, art, and near profection. Unfortunately the past does pay apart in judgement. They don't believe they can trust Jeremy.

Jammers

I think the judges felt they could keep down his PCS a bit because with Adam, Jason and Josh you have 3 skaters who can just about match Jeremy in PCS now but can out jump him. It won't get any easier as Josh and Jason especially haven't come close to their peak yet at 20.

Sylvia

TBD
Abbott pays tribute to late father at Greensboro gala
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/01/27/107618518
Excerpt:
Performing to John Coltrane's spiritual jazz ballad "Dear Lord," accompanied by the University of North Carolina School of the Arts saxophone ensemble, Abbott showed the Greensboro crowd pure skating, fueled by raw emotion.

The program was a goodbye to his father, Danny, and perhaps to his U.S. championships career.

"I never felt like that on the ice before," Abbott, 29, said. "I felt so at home. I always feel at home on the ice, but it was crazy. I felt every edge and every movement, and I felt so in control of absolutely everything I was doing.

Mozartist

Music Maker
I just read an article on Jeremy's twitter and facebook pages that Jeremy hasn't yet decided on whether he is going to retire now or still go on.
I know that many skating fans want him to retire now - so as not to slip further down the ranks, but I, as a longtime and huge Jeremy fan, disagree.

Jeremy said in that interview (link on twitter) that what he enjoys most is performing, that he wants to continue performing.
Gone are the days of all the pro competitions on TV, but I can certainly see Jeremy following in the footsteps of other greats, such as Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, and Todd Eldridge.

Elite skaters can now enjoy pro skating - such as during the holidays and the "Stars On Ice Tour" and still remain eligible to compete.
I feel that Jeremy has nothing to lose by remaining, for as long as he likes, an eligible skater.
His record stands for itself - four-time US champion, two-time Olympian, US team Olympic bronze medalist.
Nobody can take those medals away from him.
Jeremy also said in that interview that he has retooled his technique to the point that he hasn't been injured this season. :)

I say, as a diehard fan: Please continue to compete, Jeremy - for as long as you want!
Us fans will also be very happy to continue to enjoy your sublime, beautiful skating! :)

Kecasyl

Jeremy seems so lost. He looks afraid and almost vacant when he takes the ice. The biggest problem that I have with his skating now is that he has gotten worse over the past few years. The spins used to take my breath away and now they are just ok. He used to command the space he stood in whereas now, it looks like he's emotionally hanging on by a thread. From the outside looking in, it seems like Jeremy and Yuka are more buddies than coach/pupil. I dont get the sense that she demands excellence from him the way that say Rafael does from his skaters.

Jeremy is beyond capable but it's been years since he's skated like the champion he could be. This past Nationals was not a good look.

Not to be rude but, WTH have you been watching?:duh: Obviously not the same skater the rest of us have. Please go back wherever you came from. Thanks.:soapbox:

His short program was a beauty. He deserved first place there imo. But because he has failed a lot internationally the US will expect tech, art, and near profection. Unfortunately the past does pay apart in judgement. They don't believe they can trust Jeremy.
Yes, because they can totally trust Adam's International rep. :rolleyes:

Mozartist

Music Maker
This article is linked in post #547, right above your post.

Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't read the whole page before I wrote my post.
P.S. Off topic: I don't know why my avatar picture is turned around. That has never happened before. I don't know how to fix it.

Last edited:

Allskate

Yes, because they can totally trust Adam's International rep. :rolleyes:

Um, Adam placed even lower than Jeremy in the short program. And there are plenty of people who think he should have placed higher than he did in the short program and should have scored higher in the long program. The NBC commentators who were there thought that both Jeremy and Adam were scored unfairly in the short program.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I don't know what you were watching but at last year's nationals he skated a fabulous SP which could have challenged the top skaters in the world, and a respectable LP. He was overshadowed by Jason's great Riverdance performance but that doesn't mean he did not deliver. He skated a very good LP at last year's worlds also.

There is nothing wrong with a coach and pupil becoming friends after so many years together. You decided that Arutunian demands excellence but Yuka does not? Could Jeremy have won 4 US titles if his coach did not expect excellence from him? If you watched with an open mind you may see what a great artist he is. Nobody uses blades the way Jeremy does. May be you have never seen him skate live.

Your opening sentence made me wonder where you got your impressions from. "Vacant? Lost? Afraid?" You do realize that he lost his father less than a month ago. He was clearly more emotional at this time, but he didn't look like those three things you mentioned. He still competed well, except for those two falls in the LP, and one of them was on a quad toe- a jump that not many skaters land consistently. His SP was beautiful, although not perfect.

Finally, this is Jeremy's Uber thread for his fans. I am not going to say go away, but please be respectful of the fans here.

centerpt1

Jeremy was underscored in the SP -Jason was over scored. I saw that coming months ago. If you see Jeremy live-there is no one in the US now that can skate the way he does. His feet are amazing. And the power he gets that comes from seemingly nowhere is unequaled. There were way too many 10's given out. Some I agree with, some I don't.

I think Jeremy got the "afraid" moniker years ago-It's long gone now.

The desire / drive for excellence comes from within Jeremy-at least that's what I see. A coach can't give an adult that desire. At 29 I would expect the process to be collaborative-not only with coach and skater, but with all the training team.

I hope he can find some way to focus that drive and desire once he does retire. I wish there was a pro circuit. He is someone who could continue to grow as a skater and performer without the confines of CoP.

Kecasyl

Um, Adam placed even lower than Jeremy in the short program. And there are plenty of people who think he should have placed higher than he did in the short program and should have scored higher in the long program. The NBC commentators who were there thought that both Jeremy and Adam were scored unfairly in the short program.

I am aware. And you completely missed my point.

Kecasyl

I hope he can find some way to focus that drive and desire once he does retire. I wish there was a pro circuit. He is someone who could continue to grow as a skater and performer without the confines of CoP.

If there was a pro circuit, Jeremy would own it. He would completely kick @$$ there.

centerpt1

There's the problem.
Very few skaters have the opportunity to support themselves as professionals.

Especially without a World medal.

(but then Ryan Bradley manages to support himself as a pro, so who knows?)

Jeremy has a vision for his skating- whether it's as a pro or not, I still want to see him skate to further express that vision..

Kecasyl

There's the problem.
Very few skaters have the opportunity to support themselves as professionals.

Especially without a World medal.

(but then Ryan Bradley manages to support himself as a pro, so who knows?)

Jeremy has a vision for his skating- whether it's as a pro or not, I still want to see him skate to further express that vision..

Obviously no one realizes how many pros don't have world medals or even Olympic medals and are able to support themselves. Hell, some of them weren't even National champs. So this is kind of null and void.

Sylvia

TBD
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/01/27/107618518
When Danny Abbott died on Jan. 8, Jeremy returned to Colorado, accompanied by his coach, Yuka Sato. They decided to make "Dear Lord" a tribute to Danny.

"We choreographed it as the five stages of grief: It was denial, anger, bargaining, depression and then, finally, acceptance," Abbott said. "It was really cathartic. It was kind of hard at times to put together, but I really enjoyed the time in Colorado to work with Yuka."
Sneak preview of his performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3WixOmk4DU (to be aired on NBC this Saturday)

Last edited:

dinakt

Was not writing because I find myself not yet being able to say much. I cannot think of Jeremy's skating as it only relates to this year's Nationals, good though it was. I think of all the programs he has done and all the ways he has tried to push himself. Some things turned out better than others, but his absolute commitment and love of the sport is undeniable; and he still covers the ice with more speed and deeper edges than the youngsters, though I love them.
Whether he retires and regroups, or goes all Menshov on us, I wish him only the very best. Cannot be easy now.
Stars on Ice, perhaps?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
If Jeremy goes to perform with SOI, I may buy a ticket to SOI, after many years. Used to attend when my favorite skaters were with SOI.

centerpt1

If Jeremy goes to perform with SOI, I may buy a ticket to SOI, after many years. Used to attend when my favorite skaters were with SOI.

I have to travel to see SOI. The only times I've done that were years Jeremy was in.

(I also have to wonder why no Alissa Czisny in SOI this year. She has been skating in shows elsewhere, but not SOI US.)

Kecasyl

I have to travel to see SOI. The only times I've done that were years Jeremy was in.

(I also have to wonder why no Alissa Czisny in SOI this year. She has been skating in shows elsewhere, but not SOI US.)

It may have something to do with her coaching now. She probably can't get away for extended periods of time like the tour would require. <shrug>

centerpt1

Did anyone click on/watch the video link I posted in post #561? Comments?

I had seen it before posting- it is otherworldly-especially the first few moments......by the end I was choked up.

It is interesting that he had skated the "stages of grief" before for a friend who was in the Young Artist's Choreography competition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQHqNOAe_Zc

Last edited:

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Did anyone click on/watch the video link I posted in post #561? Comments?

I was there to see this and was completely wrecked by his beautiful performance. It touched my soul in a way that no other skating has done; it may have had something to do with losing my mother last year, but Jeremy really touched a nerve and I felt total compassion for what he has been going through the past few weeks. I cried for several minutes after he was finished. Two added elements that elevated this performance for me was the live music by the saxophone ensemble, and the fact that he skated on fresh ice. You could see every trace and really feel it when he carved the ice with his blade. Whatever he decides to do in the future, this program was something I will never forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information