Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
Yo, what's with Jeremy not getting a pre-US Championships teleconference on IceNetwork? Is USFSA throwing shade? :slinkaway (PSA: Aaron, Rippon, Miner and Brown all got one)

If Miner was worthy of one, then so was Abbott I think. Jeremy is the one men's medalist from the Grand Prix not included in that list. Perhaps Jeremy had a scheduling conflict that took priority over participating this season. :shrugs: At least he got a sit down interview with Michelle Kwan, which is much better than a pre-Nationals teleconference anyway. :p

Last edited:

centerpt1

Jeremy has maintained a very low profile lately. His connections haven't been talking him up like usual. The interviews that I've seen lately were filmed/recorded several months ago. It may be a strategy to help him focus?

The thing is, he looks better this year than he has in a while. He looked good at the DSC sendoff. (at least on you tube) The short looks much better ans is more congruent. It has a point of view now. It isn't as good as his 2010 and 2012 Shorts. i think Cousins was a mistake as choreographer, especially in an Olympic year.

I hope he has a Nationals he can be proud of.

It's fairly obvious he doesn't get the same "favorite son" treatment as Miner, Aaron, Rippon (and almost any other Man on the GP)

I just get the feeling he will be held down ..even if he skates very well.

spikydurian

All I want is for Jeremy to have the skates of his life at Nationals. Go Jeremy. I believe in you.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I hope he has a Nationals he can be proud of.

It's fairly obvious he doesn't get the same "favorite son" treatment as Miner, Aaron, Rippon (and almost any other Man on the GP)

I just get the feeling he will be held down ..even if he skates very well.[/QUOTE]

As I was getting ready for work this morning, the same thought crossed my mind. I don't think Jeremy will be given high marks, regardless of how he skates. I think the USFSA is likely to support the younger skaters at this time, preparing them for the next 4 years, including the Sochi Olympics. Had he made the worlds team last year, it might have been a different story this year.

I really want him to skate two perfect programs at the nationals.

skatesindreams

It's becoming increasingly clear that making the Olympic team is a "one shot deal" for most skaters.
I'm not sure that is a good thing.

It wasn't true, until recently.
Technical requirements. and injuries/attrition have made it so, IMO.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's also politics and favoritism and luck and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately approach. Sometimes you have to make your own luck, but frankly I don't think Jeremy received the encouragement and support he should have in the season after 2010 Olympics. Jeremy was skating very well and he was also being rewarded by international judges. USFS misstepped I think in not putting more support and belief behind Jeremy after his slight falter during 2011 Nats fp. In fact, Jeremy should have gone into the fp with the lead, and at the least ended up in third place to help anchor the team as a known veteran. Jeremy was strong and determined in coming back the following season. That was a shining moment for him with his Muse program at 2012 Nationals. I thought perhaps that would be the needed breakthrough to propel Jeremy to being a larger factor internationally. But the men's field is so deep and the pesky quad apparently an upender. A killer instinct is necessary or at least the ability to get into a zone competitively and believe in oneself and not worry about what anyone else is doing.

Jeremy's programs are good this season (but I agree not as good as in the past -- and with the changes to his Muse, it doesn't have the same powerful impact for me). It's great that he's re-worked the sp - the music is a good choice. OTOH, I do wonder what was wrong with the initial sp he worked on with Robin Cousins -- the possibilities seemed so exciting over the summer. Whatever happens I think Jeremy is a great skater with the ability to weave magic on the ice. If Jeremy doesn't make the Olympic team, maybe he will get to go to 4CCs or Worlds. Since there are only two spots for Sochi, probably anyone in third and fourth spots will get that 4CC and Worlds consideration.

ETA:
I heard that Rippon had a teleconference but I haven't seen it posted yet. Gracie Gold 's teleconference is just now up. It's entirely possible that Jeremy will still have one posted too. Frankly, I'd also like to hear from Mirai, Christina, and Sammy Cesario too. :)

I see Adam's teleconference is also up now. It took them awhile.

Last edited:

fscric

I just checked the score, Jeremy is in the lead with 2 more to go with a huge score. Go Jeremy and get that title so that they can't not send him to Sochi!

kittyjake5

Congrats to Jeremy on a stellar SP 99+ score. Mike Weiss said just give him a 100 and
I agree. He was that brilliant! The audience went crazy and of course a standing O.

aftershocks

Banned Member
My oh my, walk softly and carry a big stick. Looks like Jeremy used his time not doing a press teleconference very well indeed! He's still got some work to do in the fp, but with that score he definitely has some momentum behind him. As does Dornbush who apparently was also making the best use of his non-teleconference time. ;)

I applaud all those who had faith that Jeremy would still be able to do it when it counted big time. Certainly he's handled big moments well before and hopefully he will be having another chance to prove his mettle at the Olympics. Maintain that killer instinct Jeremy and listen to your own heart. Forget about what anyone else has to say, pro or con.

Interview session with Kween must have been very inspiring for Jeremy. :cheer:

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I can't wait for Jeremy's SP to be up on Youtube!!

Sounds like it was a job very well done, good for him!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am keeping my fingers crossed that Jeremy skates a great LP too. I am trying not to get too excited, but that's hard to do right now.

spikydurian

Congrats Jeremy for a super great SP. Continue your wonderful skates. I am rooting for you.

(I love to see miskarne commit harakiri).

os168

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOdtYN9qeVU

Amazing short program and performance. Really shows the merits of sophisticated mature contemporary skating that i love about N.American skating. This SP deserve to be seen @ bigger world stage @ the Olympics. Regardless the last 3 years, Jeremy is still my fav US men since Vancouver! Sooo happy he manage lay it down at this late in his career!

Best luck Jeremy for your LP tomorrow (my fav LP of his) no matter what happens, please just skate proud and be happy what ever the result.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Many congratulations to Jeremy Abbott for skating the way he is capable of!!! I am so proud of him! He still owns the highest SP score, highest LP score, and highest overall score in the history of US Nationals Men's skating. That is quite a special achievement! I wish him continued success and beautiful skating! GO JEREMY!!! :swoon::cheer2::encore:

dinakt

So happy for Jeremy. Hope his LP is good enough to get him to Sochi ( or even win), but not so perfect that it messes with his head.
That SP was such a treasure ( all the more so for being unexpected. 4+3? Who would have thunked it.)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So happy for Jeremy. Hope his LP is good enough to get him to Sochi ( or even win), but not so perfect that it messes with his head.
That SP was such a treasure ( all the more so for being unexpected. 4+3? Who would have thunked it.)

I really hope he forgets about the marks and just skates his very best in the LP. He will be the last to skate and that could be an issue (messing with his head). I just want to see him compete at the Sochi Olympics and right now I don't even care where he places in the Olympics.

judgejudy27

If Jeremy skates like that he can be a gold medal contender at the Games. He is so frusterating since he has all the ability but cant keep it together consistently. I will be happy if he can win his 4th title and qualify for the Olympics again though.

aftershocks

Banned Member
When a skater does what Richard Dornbush did right off the bat in the competition, ya gotta know every other competitor is aware of the crazy high score (not undeserved, but I just mean the scores are ridiculous and don't really have much meaning. It all boils down to knowing you have to put out your absolute best and be prepared no matter what). Jeremy was prepared. He did not just decide to throw out a 4/3 at the last minute. He came prepared to put out a quad/triple regardless of what anyone else was doing. Still, knowing the score that Ricky put up with his superb skate, Jeremy and every other contender had to ask themselves, "Do I really want this?" Jeremy's answer: "Hell yeah, I want my championship and my record back, and THIS is how I'm going to get it back. I'm gonna skate the way I can skate!" Gotta admire that hard work and fortitude and belief.

A good thing perhaps that Dornbush and Abbott were a bit under the radar. Still, every champion also needs to learn how to manage the attention and the chatter and not crumble. Jeremy's been there before and he's learned some hard lessons. Keep it up, Jeremy. You are the best! But don't listen to me either. Listen to your own heart and go after your dream.

centerpt1

OK, so I take back everything I ever said about that SP. Mr Abbott and team must have worked very hard to get that SP where it was last night. The slight musical changes really helped. Plus Mr Abbott was at his amazing best. (and it was AMAZING!!!)

I hope the Free Program/Long Program got the same attention.

The men have really stepped it up so far. He has a bit of a cushion, but not much. It's gonna be a nailbiter.

girlscouse62

I just love this man's skating. So very happy for him to have such wonderful validation of his immense talent,, Really would be so good to have him in Sochi. If he skates like this it really increases US hopes for gold in team contest as well as in Men's at Olys.

museksk8r

Jeremy skated his LP last of all the competitors at the 2010 Nationals and the 2012 Nationals. Let's hope it is good luck for him again in 2014! :encore:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information