Jenny McCarthy Reversing Position- Son May not Have had Autism after all

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cygnus, Jan 3, 2014.

1. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

^^^^ Oh man! There just aren't enough words. Thank you Jenny for giving us the return of some previously eradicated diseases.
  3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It was stupid of her to lead the crusade against vaccinations the way she did, but good for her on being an upstanding person and publicly reversing her opinion. Not many celebrities would have done that.

Now if she'll promote vaccinations and apologize for what she did, we can come one step closer to forgetting about the whole thing. :p
  4. Anita18

Wait...the article says it was published in 2010....so what is going on? :huh:
  5. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Oops, I didn't even look at the date- but I don't remember this being generally reported at the time? :huh:
  6. Anita18

And all the comments are from today too....yeah this is really strange!

Fecking social media! :lol:
  7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

8. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

She has tweeted that the article is untrue and she hasn't changed her mind.
  9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Sounds like everything that's being talked about in this thread is based on a lie? Don't believe everything that you read, I guess.

Jenny McCarthy Responds To Report She Claimed Son Never Had Autism

P.S. Are there people out there who cared for their children based on something Jenny McCarthy said instead of their family doctor?
  11. Prancer

Jenny McCarthy specifically? Hard to say. But she is certainly the celebrity spokesperson for the anti-vaccine movement, and yes, there are a lot of people who aren't having their children vaccinated against medical advice.
  12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

In 2008 Jenny appeared on Larry King arguing that vaccinations can cause autism, and subsequently defended her position all over the place. In 2009, for the first time, the rate of vaccinations for kids under private insurance dropped 4 percent, which was the first time a drop had been seen. I can't prove a connection there, obviously, but I personally believe there probably was one. She's been pretty vocal about it.
  13. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

She can put a seed of doubt in a parent's mind and then they start to research on the internet. My son's speech therapist once told me that the therapists that she works with, including other speech language pathologists, occupational therapists, and behavioral therapists, groan when a parent mentions Jenny McCarthy.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  14. Prancer

While that is true, the anti-vaccine movement has been active since the late 18th century, got a major boost in the 1990s, and was well-established on the internet before 2008. I suspect that all Jenny did was publicize the movement to people who had not already heard about it and that led those people to website like Mercola and VaxTruth.

That doesn't mean she bears no responsibility, but I don't think you can lay it all at her door.
  15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't think I was laying it all at her door.
  16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

She released an entire book on the subject so I think you can lay plenty of blame at her door but no, not ALL of it but no one was doing such a thing.
  17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Mercola :scream: :rolleyes: much more dangerous than Jenny McCarthy IMO.
  18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Plus which many parents today are likely not too influenced by whatever anti-vaccine activities took place in a previous century.
  19. Prancer

No one? I guess if you don't consider the study in The Lancet and everything that followed to be "no one doing such a thing" that might be true.

Parents weren't having their kids vaccinated when my kids were in elementary school. I used to process their exemption forms in the late 90s and early 00s.
  20. Prancer

None, I would think. However, the antivaccine movement got an enormous boost in the 1990s with the infamous Lancet study linking the MMR vaccine to autism. And since that is Jenny McCarthy's particular bandwagon, I would say she was something of a late entry in 2008. YMMV.
  21. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Sheep are always going to find a shepherd. If it wasn't Jenny McCarthy, it would have been the crackpot next door who believes ninjas are watching him sleep, your friendly local cult leader, or the stay-at-home mom who does nothing but read the interwebs. Her appearance might have quickened the movement, but it was there already and most of those people would have found that ideology anyway.

Yes, Jenny McCarthy is an idiot when it comes to this but I'm actually going to cut her a little slack. While she went about it the wrong way, I admire her for at least trying. I used to work with special-needs children and you just cannot comprehend what those parents go through everyday, every moment. It would make any normal person insane. And quite honestly, the parents that are insane usually have the children that do things that many have told them would be impossible, from potty training to multiplication. I don't agree with her statements, and I agree that she's irresponsible, but I totally empathize with her and not just wanting, but needing to know why this horrible thing happened to her son.
  22. mag

mag Well-Known Member

The problem I have with Jenny is that there is absolutely no proof that MMR causes autism yet she refuses to change her stance. She is a public figure with a wide audience. Children are dying because parents refuse to have them vaccinated. Children are dying because parents don't vaccinate their children and those children infect kids who are too young for vaccines. These parents may think what they are doing is best for their children, but they are wrong. The science is there for all to read. When parents don't vaccinate their children they are putting not only their own children at risk, but other people's as well. There are a very very few children who cannot be vaccinated, but no where near the level we are now seeing. In some places we are very much at risk of losing herd protection. I completely understand looking for answers when you have a special needs child. I also completely understand being determined to prove the "experts" wrong when in comes to what your child can and can't do. I have been in that situation myself. What I can't understand or forgive, what is quite different from the mom who reads everything on the internet or local cult leader, is using international celebrity to forward a cause that is responsible for children dying from preventable diseases.

For those who are interested, this is an interesting article on vaccines:

http://theconversation.com/six-myths-about-vaccination-and-why-theyre-wrong-13556
    judiz and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

24. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I was taught a valuable lesson very earlier on in my journey as a special needs parent. A number of my son's therapists stated that they don't get caught up in the " whys, " but they focus on what can be done. So, the latter became my focus. Parents can tie themselves into terrible knots by focusing too much on the whys. I know special needs parents that have focused on the "what can be done " that have made some wonderful gains with their children or in some cases have come to terms with their child's severe limitations. I am not saying that parents should never focus on the whys. Fundraising for research, for instance, is one way to help that. It is just so much more empowering to focus on what can be done.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  25. overedge

I agree about the impact of The Lancet study, but I don't remember any celebrities as high-profile as McCarthy championing the cause, or championing it for as loudly and as long.
  26. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Thankfully my son's disabilities lessened after years of therapies and medical treatments but when he was at his worse, I didn't have time to focus on why, all I could think about was how to get through each day and make sure he had the best future possible. When my son starts college in September, it will be 18 years after we were told he wouldn't live more than a few days.
    OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Prancer

The point being what? My point was that Jenny McCarthy gets blamed by a lot of people when the antivaccination movement was alive and well and thriving before 2008. She undoubtedly contributed, but again--she was rather late to the game. The percentage of parents who refuse one or more vaccinations for their children has grown steadily since The Lancet study came out.

It's easy to blame Jenny McCarthy, but I doubt very much if anything she had said would have had much effect had it not been for the vast amount of bad information already available--and widely cited--well before her appearance on Larry King or her book. And at least some of it is put out there by actual doctors, and some of the "research" looks really credible, so it's not like people were taking Jenny McCarthy's word for it--they think the "experts" are telling them all this stuff. That is why the reasons so many parents are anti-vaccine go well beyond anything Jenny McCarthy has had to say in her own rather limited view--there are a lot of reasons parents don't vaccinate that have nothing to do with anything Jenny McCarthy has said or her reasons for saying so.

As for thinking she should just shut up--really? So if you believed, REALLY believed as many parents of autistic children do, that vaccines were harming children rather than helping them, you would keep this to yourself? What if it wasn't vaccines but something else? What if she was right? Sometimes people are right. Good for them for speaking up--sometimes the status quo needs to be questioned. Yeah, sometimes people question things for stupid reasons, but still--if I ever think that kids are being harmed by something toxic, I'm damn well going to say so and I hope others will, too. I'd rather be wrong and stupid than right and silent.
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

The British doc who authored The Lancet study has since been stripped of his medical license and is in Texas, heading something awfully resembling a cult. That's what I recall reading, anyway.
  29. overedge

IMHO it wouldn't have grown so quickly without McCarthy promoting it. Her celebrity, plus her not being a scientist (i.e. explaining things in accessible language), did a lot more to promote the anti-vaccination ideas than an article in a medical/specialty journal intended for practitioners.

But she cited "experts" too, the ones that supported her views. That gave her credibility as well.

I don't think anyone is blaming her for every anti-vaccination choice - e.g. in my area there are several religious communities that don't believe in vaccinating their children, on the basis that God will keep the kids healthy. I'm sure what Jenny McCarthy says about vaccination has nothing at all to do with their decisions. But IME there are parents who have listened to Jenny McCarthy and other anti-vaccination proponents who wouldn't have considered not vaccinating their kids without encountering those sources. And if those sources are promoting decisions based on bad science, that's a problem.
  30. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Plus her boobs. Don't dismiss her boobs! ;)

Seriously, pretty people get something called the halo effect. If she was Melissa McCarthy and not Jenny McCarthy, I don't think she would have ended up with the platform she ended up with or had the impact she had.

I think Jenny McCarthy did give the anti-vax movement a voice and a spokesperson who wasn't a crunchy-granola nutcase and made mainstream parents feel at ease in selecting a choice that they might otherwise have been nervous to go with. I think she accelerated a process that was already happening and even got it to more people than if she had never jumped on the band wagon. And, if she had turned out to be right, that would have been a good thing.

But not only was she wrong, but the sources and experts she used to form her opinions have all been discredited. Yet she refuses to change her position. I think that's irresponsible and I think she deserves all kinds of flack for it.
  31. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with everyone here. Prancer, I agree that we cannot lay all blame on McCarthy. There certainly were other studies that were irresponsible and just plain wrong. But, I do believe that many people will listen to a celebrity, who would not necessarily read a medical study (accurate or not). There are people who genuinely believe that a famous person would not say something unless it is true. I don't believe that most posters here would take Jenny McCarthy seriously, but there are people who would. I would actually take Melissa more seriously than Jenny, but that's neither here not there. I have never understood why people are so willing to think that celebrities are so knowledgeable about medical or political issues.

I do give her some credit for putting Autism out, front and center. For bringing awareness. Of course that does put her son in the lime light. Something she has to own.

MacMadame, do you think her boobs are real? Why doesn't she carry on about the risks of breast augmentation?
  32. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I have no idea. I, um, don't look at them that much. :lol:
  33. cruisin

:rofl: No, I don't either. I just usually assume centerfold types have implants. Not fair of me, but...
  34. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Erm, wouldn't Ms McCarthy have the full run of vaccinations in her childhood? Didn't seem to have side effects for her.
  35. cruisin

Maybe they caused her to run on at the mouth and think she's smarter than she is? ;)
  36. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I can't find anything to link to, but I'm pretty sure she had implants, got famous, then had them removed and went all holier than thou about how women shouldn't get implants :rolleyes: which seems at bit rich, but not terribly surprising.
  37. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i've heard her discuss her implants, she got them in her teens.

d listers gotta hustle if they want to eat. i'm not sure what else she has had to sell during some stretches of her career.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  38. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Or how about the effects constant chemical processing (like bleaching hair blonde) has on one's hair and scalp.
  39. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

IIRC, Jenny mentioned her implants somewhere.

I always knew we have similar interests: best concealer, celebrity plastic surgery. :D
  40. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Getting breast implants in your teens should be banned in my opinion.
    algonquin and (deleted member) like this.