Jenny Kirk and Dave Lease denied Press Credential at SLC event

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by AJ Skatefan, Aug 28, 2013.

1. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Quote from TSL Facebook (given permission to put it here):

This past January, Jennifer Kirk and I poured our hearts into The Skating Lesson as a way of bringing the sport of figure skating back to the people who love it the most: the participants and fans. Dismayed by years of evaporating coverage, we launched a Youtube series aimed at raising discussing, engaging viewers and revealing the unique personalities in our sport. Immediately, Mitch Moyer of the USFS attempted to put a stop to our show by calling each of us 15 times during the course of a 45-minute period. After many wonderful shows, interviews and experiences, it is our deep regret to inform you that U.S. Figure Skating has denied our credential to the upcoming U.S. International Figure Skating Classic due to 'space reasons.' We had lined up many interviews with athletes and coaches and planned to provide a unique behind-the-scenes look for our viewers. If you disagree with their decision, please contact rfelton@usfigureskating.org

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm sure they are disappointed but they can still go and do their interviews. i dont think asking their fans to send emails to the usfsa will be very productive. i also dont think it is professional.

3. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Interesting. What's behind this decision? Is there really a space problem? Was USFSA flooded with media requests? Or do they think this is a competitor for Icenetwork? Or is this channel is not regarded as a professional media? Obviously TLS still can go to Salt Lake and do their interviews in the hotel or whereever, they don't need to be at press conferences (if there are any). But I understand that they are frustrated not to be officially recognized as media.

danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Whoa! This is nasty and mean spirited of the USFSA but, then again, it's the USFSA: Whatever online material they cannot CONTROL is considered 'bad' material. I'm sure that 'Aunt Joyce' has been denied a press pass too. :)

Press-on with your great work, Jenny & Dave! Thanks for your candor, always presented in good taste, e.g., the recent dignified presentation and questions during MaryBeth Marley's interview. Now, more than ever, we look forward to your post-report on the SLC event (and beyond).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  5. vocal

vocal New Member

I think Jenny and Dave bring a fresh breeze to the business. So not understandable to me why USFS does not take advantage of their energy/spirit. What are the concerns? It would be a great credit to the arch-conservative world of figure skating to open up for a different approach to figure skating.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

They still haven't decided whether they are going to be the next Perez Hilton or the next Tatjana Flade. ;)

7. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem - they aren't a professional media organisation, and the USFSA rules about accreditation are very clear:

U.S. Figure Skating will issue media credentials to members of the working press only. By definition, a member of the working press shall be a paid employee or representative of a known and established media organization.

and on web based media in particular

Credentials for Internet sites staffed by full-time employees with the intent of reporting for news purposes shall be granted credentials as space allows.

1. The site must have a demonstrated record of SUSTAINED, ORIGINAL NEWS CONTENT on figure skating. The site’s own full-time staff must write an overwhelming percentage of that site’s material.
    2. Coverage must be part of the news portion of the site and must not purport to be live, play-by-play or real time in nature.
    3. The site must furnish, on the credential request form, certifiable traffic numbers of monthly visitors from an established auditing firm (Nielsen, etc.). Hit counters will not fulfill this requirement.
    4. Internet sites that will not be credentialed: personal page publishers, discussion board/chat rooms, and subscription-based sites.

I don't think Dave & Jenny are full time staff, they don't really have original news content, but more opinion pieces, and you could easily define TSL as personal page publishing.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/0607-credguidelines.pdf

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

USFSA hath spoken. So predictable. How many untraditional forms of media have had 'the rules' thrown at them through the years. Press on. I would rather watch Jenny and Dave's reports than filtered lilywashing. Jenny & Dave have the numbers - interested fans and afficionados - behind them.

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Didn't they say at one point that the USFSA was really excited about their interviews and would encourage people to accept invitations?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

This is very old fashioned criteria. I think USFS as it hopes to broaden interest in figure skating needs to be more flexible. I don't have any comment on TSL in particular, I don't follow it, but figure skating being a niche sport, online media and unconventional media could be really helpful to it.

That said, attacking USFS about it will probably only make them dismiss the subject.

11. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

It seems fairly simple to me - they aren't media and therefore won't be given media accreditation and privileges. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

12. BlueRidge

Why aren't they media? They aren't by the USFS's criteria but that doesn't mean they couldn't be considered so under expanded criteria. I think USFS should look at expanding their criteria and developing relations with unconventional media. It really could be of value to promoting figure skating.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well, consider how long it took for USFS to get IceNetwork up and running. They're not exactly known for being ahead of the curve when it comes to "new media." So, yes, unfortunately, TSL doesn't fulfill their outdated criteria for media. I hope they can both still go and get their interviews.

14. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

And the media accreditation policy is very similar to those I can find on the web for various professional and college sports as well as tour promoters and other events. Owning a blog or running a youtube channel is not proving to be a ticket to grabbing press credentials.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

But the world of skating journalists is very small and TSL is a noteworthy addition. TSL doesn't only offer opinions but has regular in-depth interviews with important people in the skating world. The USFS is being stuffy. And why? Does it cost money to give out press credentials or is it truly nothing but a control issue?

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

You know this is mean spirited, and I'm sure it was unnecessary. Why try to deny a show that has energized skating insiders and fans from covering and publicizing events? The USFSA has given and does give credentials to school news papers with fewer readers than an FSU Trash Can thread. This looks like an ill-thought out snub of some kind. I will not relent until there is some explanation for a decision like this. We should send the proper messages to the USFSA that it is not looking out for its own interests or its reputation among fans. I am tempted to boycott Skate America.

17. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

If this is the case why did they (the USFS) not give this as the reason for denying the credential? They said it was a space issue, not that TSL didn't meet the criteria.

2sk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. PDilemma

For most events, there is a cost involved in press credentials. They typically include parking, a hospitality area with food, plus media guides and the actual physical credential. There is also legitimately a space issue for most events as press boxes actually do have limited space available. Opening availability to every freelance photographer, blogger and person with a video camera and a youtube channel is not reasonable for any sport.

Let's be honest, most of us would start blogging immediately if it could score us an all-access media credential for skating events.

19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I hadn't realized that TSL had "energized skating insiders and fans" to any measurable degree. It's remarkable that fans would be motivated to boycott a completely unrelated competition based on this non-incident. That will certainly show USFSA!

20. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

It's a pretty short-sighted policy if you ask me. I've gotten them for events (non-skating) and places that I write about. You just state your case to the powers that be. It's not like USFS doesn't know who Jenny Kirk is.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Suze

Suze New Member

I think it's a being-behind-the-times and not-valuing-digital/social-media issue. Really, the USFSA should value and thank TSL because Jenny and Dave have done more to connect fans to the skaters and coaches in the past year than any major broadcasting station or news outlet has in the last 50 years. I am a bigger fan of Ashley Wagner today because I watched TSL's interview. USFSA, if you are reading this, please kindly reconsider!

-----
    Edited because of a typo

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  22. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I hope they still attend anyway. They provide unique coverage and generate interest amongst fans, even during the offseason when skating fans tend to be relatively bored. USFS needs to try to work with them, not against them. Frankly, USFS should be glad people actually want to come and cover their Senior B competition. If you don't want your competition getting any attention, how do you expect spectators to be interested enough to attend?

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Although I don't always agree with what they say, I would much rather have them there that annoying Michael Buckley.

24. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

But where do you draw the line? If I start a blog and/or a YouTube channel, should I qualify as media? No. So why should they?

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  25. BlueRidge

Blogs are media. So are youtube channels. So were mimeograph newsletters back in the day.

Its up to an organization like the USFS to decide their criteria for credentialing. I just think they would do well for themselves if they made their criteria more flexible.

26. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I would love to know the rationale. Either USFS is protecting IceNetwork, or, perhaps, if they let The Skating Lesson bloggers in, it opens a door to anyone with a pod cast. They are dissing a fairly iconic US Figure Skater here. Not really a genius move. (IMO)

27. os168

os168 Active Member

Oh, say! Can you see.. by the dawn's early light....O'er the land of the free ~ and the home of the brave. (??!)

A great pity on the attempting of censorship by the USFSA now looks kind of silly, almost tyrannical and draconian in their controlling of the press. Michael Buckley is in but not these 2? GS even locked that thread. I bet China is not this bad? :rofl: On the other hand there's no such thing as a Jenny and Dave equivalent in China. I can't imagine the soft hearted Lulu ever get this snarky, though she can certainly 'hold an edge and look sexy'!

On a serious note, I am a huge fan of TSL, but I did worry about their all too honest approach including recent feedback piece on Scott's comments might have some serious negative impact on their accessibility on the inner circle of 'trustees' of the skating's worlds elites. Just didn't expect they been shun by the mother of all big brothers themselves.

On the positive side, it is all part of the learning experience, and once they proved themselves (more fan support, more demand, more great interviews), maybe they can broke and bash the PR gate wide open. They are very much doing Gorilla Media at the moment, and it takes brave souls and much hard work (that certainly included failures including fauxpas) to do what they are trying to do.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I can spend my dollars at Skate Canada instead if I so choose. That thought is just a notional reaction obviously (this is a skating board and I'm allowed to vent), and you are being callous to minimize my principled view by focusing on this. It is trite to use the old "nobody will care if you boycott" argument to dismiss me. So let's stick with your first more substantive point. You feel there is no energy or interest in skating related to TSL. So many of skating's glitterati have been participating in interviews with Ms. Kirk and Mr. Lease and talking their heads off. There are legendary skaters apparently requesting to be interviewed. It is not like this online show is a newspaper article for the high school paper. There are viewers of and interest in TSL. There have been some stories and impassioned discussions on fan boards. For whatever internet chat is worth, TSL's presence has been notable. It is probably less deniable that TSL has made an impression on the sport's past and present stars and leading coaches-- so many of whom are requesting to be featured.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Does this mean that Phil Hersh is no longer able to get a credential? Because you can't read his articles without a sign in. (Or maybe he never went to events, just wrote about them later...)

30. PDilemma

Hersh is a paid employee of a recognized media outlet and would be qualified to receive credentials under that criteria. The newspaper has a web presence but would not be considered internet media--just as NBC Sports, for example, has a web presence but is not considered internet media.