Jeffrey Buttle Article & Video

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by JockProf, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JockProf

JockProf New Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  2. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Good for him! Hope he still leaves lots of time for choreographing, and especially performing!

3. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I did not know that he was openly gay.

4. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Any chance on getting his name spelled correctly? (I realize it was a typo....transpositions are my biggest problem, too)

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

That's a gorgeous pix of Buttle! :swoon:
    I am sure it's only as a hobby. He's a rising star in choreography and should continue, full time or part time.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Just another figure skater who has always wanted to play ice hockey! :yawn:

7. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I don't find it at all surprising or :yawn: that a Canadian male has always wanted to play hockey. It's Canada, they love their hockey.

8. jamcan

jamcan New Member

Jeff is brilliant in school. He can be anything he wants to be. He doesn't want to be a hockey player...he wants to play hockey. :cool:

9. elle123

elle123 Member

Obviously no one fact checked this article. He won the world title in 2008, not 2005.

Oh well, always good to see articles about him though.

10. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

11. skatinginbc

skatinginbc New Member

I'm a big fan of Jeff, and I didn't know he was openly gay, either. And I didn't realize he is 29, so old (in skating years). I guess there goes my dream of his comeback. Here is my prying curiosity: When did he come out of the closet (about his old age, I mean:p )? He looks forever 25 in my eye. Or should I stop being snoopy and go back to eat my din-din :cat:

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I don't believe he ever announced he was gay, which is they way it should be. Family, friends, etc knew, as they often do, but the public would figure it out if/when the guy ends up in a relationship or is interviewed for an article on gay sports for example. It just comes out. I don't think Jeff hid it much; he would appear at gay prides, etc. But gay celebs tend to keep it out of the media so that their sexuality doesn't become the focus on the conversation as it often does. These guys want to be known first and foremost for their talents and accomplishments.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. skatinginbc

skatinginbc New Member

Thank you Rock2. You confirmed what I have thought all along: There was never a closet. How lucky and proud to be a Canadian.:)

14. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

No one ever mentions that "Oh, and by the way, I'm heterosexual." Why should one's sexual preference be a matter for public consumption?

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Don't all Canadians start out skating to play hockey? :lol:

I'm also glad that his orientation isn't a big deal one way or another. :) If it gets offhandedly mentioned, that's the most natural and best way, IMO. Not a huge announcement that makes a big deal.

Although I must say, Matt Bomer's "casual mention" was probably the most epic. Not only was he in a long-term same sex relationship, but he had THREE KIDS. Twist the knife in a little more, would ya? :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  16. skatinginbc

skatinginbc New Member

As far as I know, a male skater once screamed at kiss and cry, "Mom, I'm not gay." :D

Think about the following statements:
    1) Each male skater is presumably heterosexual till indicated otherwise.
    2) Each male skater is presumably gay till indicated otherwise.
    3) Each leaf is presumably green till indicated otherwise.
    None of the above is prejudiced ("predetermined judgment" with the key word "predetermined" = despite the existence of contradictory evidence) although a stereotypical notion is set as the "default operating system" of one's brain. Nothing wrong with the default system. It is how the brain functions, how the brain is able to handle countless information in the world.
    Thus when a skater thinks that many people hold the schema of "each male skater is presumably gay till indicated otherwise", he might scream out "Oh, and by the way, I'm heterosexual."

Why not?

I think all of the following questions are natural and appropriate about a public figure's identity:
    Cultural Identity: Is Mervin Tran of Chinese descent or Vietnamese? Is Buttle an Anglo-Saxon surname?
    Language Identity: What is Mervin Tran's first language? Is Jeffrey's French better than his English?
    Sexual Identity: Is Mervin Tran dating Amelie Lacoste? When did Jeff come out of the closet?
    Skater Identity: When did Jeff start skating?

Of course, any question, not just ones about sexual preference, has a fine-line. Without knowing Jeff is "openly" gay, I would not have dared to even talk about it. So, what's wrong with my :cat: (public consumption :D) of his "gay" identity formation, a process equally important in life to his "skater" identity formation?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  17. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I think Ryan Bradley said something like that, but it was worded differently.

18. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Ryan said "See mom, I'm not gay!" (I think)

19. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Such a considerate man to calm his mother's fears in such a personal way. :p

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Ryan was totally goofing around. He's seemingly a fun-spirited, free-spirited, goofy, charismatic and obviously macho openhearted kinda guy who everyone generally seems to like. Heck, Ryan was never on record even being at all upset about Johnny Weir offhandedly inferring in response to a media query in 2004 that Ryan's costume/ program was like "a vodka shot and a snort coke kinda thing," while his Dr. Zhivago costume/ program was more like "an icicle on coke."

21. maladiegrande

maladiegrande New Member

Johnny would make a great commentator.

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Yes, that's already been proven by Johnny's witty and informative commentary during 2010 Worlds and 2012 U.S. Nationals.