Jeanne Cooper of "The Young and the Restless" has died at 84

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, May 8, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  2. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Wow, I remember watching Y&R back in the 80's when I was home sick from school. I will always remember Jeanne's finger nails ... RIP.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

R.I.P Catherine!

4. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Your sig line is perfect for Katherine! :) RIP Jeanne.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

This one makes me sad. She's been on my tv all of my life. She started in that show before I was born. :( R.I.P. to a true icon.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm on Corbin Bernsen's Facebook; he reported a lot of ups and downs over the past few weeks as she seemed to get better and then got worse again. It's been really hard on the family, but it sounds like they're coming to grips with it and glad that she's at peace. I wasn't familiar with her before this, but it sounded like she was a real trouper.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I watched from 82-86 and I always liked Catherine Chancellor. Couldn't stand Nikki and thought that Victor should have kicked her big hair to the curb. Had the BIGGEST crush on Paul in 8th grade. :lol:

8. dardar1126

I don't watch Y&R anymore, but I used to watch it back in the day...still remember the epic battles between Katherine and Jill.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Oh, that Jill.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I was aware of Jeanne Cooper even before she became Katherine Chancellor; and have loved watching her become a Icon of Daytime television over the last 40 years.
    What an amazing woman, and actress, she was.

My sympathy to her family; and to the millions of people who admired her.

Thank you, Jeanne.
    You will be missed.
    RIP

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Like others here, Jeanne Cooper has always been on my TV, as Mom has been a Y&R fan my whole life. She was one heck of a feisty Lady, who also never shied away from bringing her real life battles to the show in the hope of helping someone else.

I also remember how she and the actress who played Jill always came up for the Sick Kids Telethon in the 90's. Once she took on two kids in a game of pool and just took them out in under ten minutes. :)

She truly was a Grande Dame and I'm afraid we'll never see her like again. My Condolences to both her actual Family and her Y&R Family, as well as her Friends.

Rest in Peace Mrs. C. You will be missed. :(

12. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I started watching "The Young and the Restless" as a child due to my mom watching. It is going to be weird seeing the show w/o Catherine. Her character is very ill on the show currently, so I imagine they will just have her die, giving her a proper send off. Only the tears will be real. R.I.P.

13. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

awww.....I watched this through most of the 80's as my work schedule allowed back then. Great lady. :(

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

RIP to "the Duchess" of daytime. :(

This is the final scene she taped before her hospitalization, and ultimately her last scene ever... the last minute is so poignant, considering. :( I too believe they will have her die off screen. She's irreplaceable.

I have followed her over the years and her personality is just as feisty as Mrs. C's.... here is her finally winning the Emmy in 2008 (she's been nominated 12 times, both daytime and primetime)... hilarious speech. :rofl: The outpouring of love and excitement from her cast mates, and even her competitors, is palpable.

She will be missed!

15. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Aww, Mrs. Chancellor!!! She is irreplaceable, I grew up watching her vs Jill...RIP you formidable lady of daytime!

And yes, that scene was definitely poignant...

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

What a great Emmy speech. :lol: :respec:

17. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I'm 27 (nearly) and I've been a Y&R fan for 25 years. Jeanne was always on my screen and such a staple on the show. I was fortunate enough to meet her as a 12 year old back in 1998. I gave her some roses and she gave me a big ole kiss on the cheek :lol: She had the one of the best senses of humor of any actress. I yelled when she finally got her daytime emmy in 2008. She will be greatly missed.

18. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I grew up watching Y&R. I haven't watched regularly in about 7 years or so, so the only characters I recognized in that final scene were Katherine, Jill, Esther, and Michael Baldwin's brother (I cannot remember the character's name). The last part with Jill and Katherine was definitely very poignant.

RIP :(

19. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Thanks so much for posting these clips - I watched Y & R on and off since the beginning and Jeanne Cooper was one of my favorites. I didn't know she only won the Emmy once - she did that show for 40 years! Great acceptance speech. RIP Mrs. C.!

20. skatesindreams

21. dardar1126

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

What a poignant tribute ... see it through to the end. How fitting and what an extraordinary woman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQpii0xQ7CA

ETA:

The poem at the end of the video is so profound. There's more to it, but here it is again mostly as it was excerpted in the lovely and loving tribute:

You would know the secret of death.
    But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life?
    The owl whose night-bound eyes are blind unto the day
    cannot unveil the mystery of light.
    If you would indeed behold the spirit of death,
    open your heart wide unto the body of life.
    For life and death are one,
    even as the river and the sea are one.

In the depth of your hopes and desires
    lies your silent knowledge of the beyond;
    And like the seeds dreaming beneath the snow
    your heart dreams of spring.
    Trust the dreams,
    for in them is hidden the gate to eternity…

For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind
    and to melt into the sun?
    And what is it to cease breathing,
    but to free the breath from its restless tides,
    that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink from the river of silence
    shall you indeed sing.
    And when you have reached the mountain top,
    then you shall begin to climb.
    And when the earth shall claim your limbs,
    then shall you truly dance.

– Kahlil Gibran

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  23. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that link and the poem aftershocks. I've never seen many of those pictures before, the ones from her earlier days in the Acting World, and was she one gorgeous lady and still was too.

BTW...Does anyone know where that picture of her as Queen Elizabeth I is from? From a Costume Party ep of the Y&R or for a play/movie she did? That was also a picture I've never seen before, but if anyone was fitting to wear or play one of the Greatest Queens of History, it was w/out a doubt Jeanne Cooper.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It was for a photo shoot for Y&R's fictional magazine, Restless Style. http://blog.soapoperafan.com/2009/0...s-katherine-chancellor-restless-style-covers/

Here is a video of Katherine as the Queen of Hearts at a Y&R costume party from 1991: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=druZHgoLBK4

Reminder: Y&R's special tribute episode is airing this Tuesday, May 28. It's not a regular episode; it will feature other actors talking about her in the Chancellor living room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssMiZ6H8i6s

http://soapcentral.com/yr/news/2013/0510-cooper_tribute.php

25. skatesindreams