Jean Stapleton - Edith Bunker in "All In The Family" - Dead at 90

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skatesindreams, Jun 1, 2013.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:( RIP

3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Wonderful actress, first saw her in Up the Down Staircase, grew to love her on All In The Family. RIP

4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Ten Emmy nominations with three wins for All In The Family (with one of those ten nominations for her work in the dramatic TV-movie, "Eleanor, First Lady of the World" (1982). Film work includes parts in Damn Yankees!, Bells are Ringing, Up The Down Staircase, Michael and You've Got Mail.

Two episodes of All In The Family I will never forget are Edith's Night Out (here is part one). It's where Gloria buys her a pant suit and she looks wonderful...but Archie thinks otherwise. And in Edith's 50th Birthday where she fights off a rape attempt. I believe it was a two-part story, could only find the second half on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqRqRXW37g

5. skatesindreams

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Always loved her squawking in the opening credits of All in the Family. She made Edith really human. Rest in peace.

7. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

:(

8. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

:(

NJL

9. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

"Boy the way Glenn Miller played
    Songs that made the hit parade.
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days.
    And you knew who you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man
    Like Herbert Hoover again.
    Didn't need no welfare state,
    Everybody pulled his weight.
    Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
    Those were the days."

:barrel

I loved All in the Family! They dealt with so many serious issues...racism, war, rape, menopause. Jean Stapleton as Edith was the heart of the family...the heart of the show. I'm glad she was able to have such a long life...she'll be missed.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

She was wonderful! So sorry to read of her passing. :( RIP. Jean/Edith.

11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I am too young to remember the impact of All in the Family when it was first aired, but that episode with the rape attempt was really ground breaking, and continued to be in re-reruns.

I loved the episode where she went to her reunion without Archie. RIP

12. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Don Lemon did a lovely piece on her for CNN. She only retired in her 80s.

RIP :(

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

After years of watching All In The Family (original run, not in re-runs) Jean Stapleton was almost like a member of the family. I thought she was adorable. I'm embarassed to admit it but I thought she really died when they killed her off in the show.

14. skatesindreams

Tributes pouring in:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/01/showbiz/jean-stapleton-death-reaction/index.html
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jean-stapleton-hollywood-remembers-all-561474

This is especially touching:

"I was at my computer when her glorious children, John and Pam, phoned me, and I told them I was working on my memoir, and reflecting on the time I was father to my personal family on Mooncrest Drive while also fathering Archie and Edith and three other families on CBS. And I added -- so, at 90, here still is Jean Stapleton, 'always where she is,' helping me to see my own frailties and humanity yet again. No one gave more profound 'How to be a human being' lessons than Jean Stapleton. Goodbye Edith, darling."

-- Norman Lear, the producer and director of "All in the Family"

More detailed article:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/all-in-the-family-jean-stapleton-dies-561468

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  15. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

RIP Jean Stapleton, damn fine actress.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Stifle in peace, Dingbat.

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

R.I.P.

18. dardar1126

Twitter:

19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I remember watching some look back that CBS had done for one of their major Anniversaries and Norman Lear was talking about the filming of the episode where Edith's attempted rape happens. He said out of all the shows he taped in front of a live audience, nothing ever produced the reaction and sheer roar from an audience as when Edith threw the cake in that guy's face and then ran out.

Jean Stapleton was a true actress who was more than Edith Bunker. I picked up the first group of Carol Burnett Show DVD's in Toronto and the final show on them is one w/Jean Stapleton and Phil Silvers. She sings a song on there and...What a voice she had. Just gorgeous!!

Think I'll pop it in tonight to remember a truly great entertainer. Rest in Peace Jean. You'll be missed. :(

20. skatesindreams

21. dardar1126

Twitter: