Jaycee Dugard's Book is in stores

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is a thread for this already, so if the admin decides to merge it, that's OK.

Today I went to Costco and saw Jaycee Dugard's book there for $13.59 (original price $24.95). I could not resist opening it and reading parts of her horrifying story. I did not buy the book only because the checkout lines were very long, and that would have been the only item I would check out. I will probably go back Tues/Wed to buy the book.

Later I saw it at Barnes & Noble at 30% off. I would have gotten a 15% discount as a B&N member, but the Costco price was still better, so I stuck with my earlier plan.

From the pages I read, it is a very sincere book. She tells it the way it happened, and there is a 'reflection' on each event. It's unimaginable to any of us that live a normal life. The part that really got me was when the officer asked Jaycee what her name was and she could not say it because she had not said her real name for 18 years! She wrote it down in full. I had to close the book because I was very close to crying.

I don't want to rehash the whole story because it's been discussed on another thread, but I think reading the book in full will answer many questions. Afterall, she was just a child- an eleven year old- so how can we expect her to think like an adult, even after she became an adult?

For the millionth time, I think no punishment under our law is enough for this couple that abused the girl for 18 years!
  2. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I saw an interview on tv with Jaycee and her mother, they have an incredible bond.

If I am not mistaken, the wife of the pair who kidnapped her is not going to spend a whole lot of time in jail, 36 to life, will that be halved to 18?
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Lacey, I don't know the answer to your question. However, I wanted to comment on the incredible bond between Jaycee and her mother. In the book she mentioned that she and her mother used to 'talk' to the moon to convey messages. The night before Jaycee was found, her mother saw the bright full moon and sent her message. Jaycee was not looking at the moon anymore, but she too saw the full moon that night because it was so bright, she could not ignore it. Next day her mother got the call that Jaycee had been found. Amazing!

I don't watch much TV, so I missed the interview. May be it will be on YT sometime.
  4. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I have a couple of friends who have bought the book. Both have said it's extremely graphic.
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

There were excerpts from it in PEOPLE magazine. Even those little pieces were really impressive. What a strong and thoughtful woman she is.
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

In fact, she is going to spend a whole lot of time in jail.

A sentence of "36 years to life" means that she must spend at least 36 years in prison. (A sentence of 36 year without the "to life" might mean she could be eligible for parole before 36 years were up.)

Nancy Garrido is about 56 years old now, so, if she lives that long, she will be at least 92 years old before she is eligible for parole.
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  7. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I posted about this book some time ago. It's called "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard.
    A portion of the proceeds were to go to a charity for people who've been abducted and their families. Hope it sells well.
    "A portion of my proceeds from this memoir will be donated to The J A Y C Foundation Inc. www.thejaycfoundation.org"
    http://books.simonandschuster.com/Stolen-Life/Jaycee-Dugard/9781451629187
    http://books.simonandschuster.com/Stolen-Life/Jaycee-Dugard/9781451629187/browse_inside
    Don't all prison sentences nowadays come with a "good behavior" clause that allows them to be halved? So "36 to Life" can mean 18 years, right? This article says 20; maybe it's based on the type of crime. http://www.ktvu.com/news/28107526/detail.html

Even so, Nancy Garrido would be in her late 60's or early 70's upon release, not a great age to try and start over as an ex-con, but not elderly.

There was an article arguing that she should get a longer sentence since she had multiple opportunities to free the girl, even during Phillip's imprisonment, but she failed to do so.

A bill was introduced into NC Legislative, designed to keep "dangerous, life-term prisoners" behind bars.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ould-keep-dangerous-prisoners-locked-up-.html
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I may have been mistaken.

http://www.shouselaw.com/parolehub.html

I always thought that this meant that a prisoner serving an indeterminate sentence became eligible for parole when he or she finished serving the determinate part of the sentence (36 years, for Nancy Garrido). But I would expect that Nancy Garrido's attorney knows what he's talking about, so it must be that she could conceivably be eligible for parole earlier than that if she is deemed no longer to be a threat to society.

Even if she will be theoretically eligible to parole in less than 36 years, that doesn't mean she will be. This was no ordinary kidnapping. Nancy Garrido kept three people imprisoned for 11, 14, and 19 years.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  9. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Good behavior does earn credit that may result in an earlier parole date (the prison guards union insisted on this, as the threat of losing credits does make it a little easier to keep order in the prison). The laws have been changed, however, so the sentence is not halved. More importantly, the fact that a prisoner gets a parole date only means the date they come up for a hearing; it doesn't mean that they necessarily get released.
  10. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

As has happened to Charles Manson. Several times before the board. Every time refused.

NJL (...I don't see that changing....;)...)
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IIRC Phillip's sentence specifically stated 'without parole' but Nancy's did not. So I think she may be eligible to try for the parole after some years. They may not see her as a threat to society anymore. IMO she should spend the entire 36 years sentence in the prison, but of course I am not the law; speaking from emotions only.
  12. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

No one is happier for Jaycee that she's been reunited with her family. She's a strong woman, and she deserves everything good that happens to her from here.

But, I can't bring myself to read the book. I can't handle it. I know that she lived it, but I can't handle it. Since reading the thread and finding out that proceeds are going to be donated, I will buy a couple of copies and donate them to the library. But reading the whole story is more than I can stand.
  13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Your feelings are very understandable. After reading portions of the book in the bookstore, I am not sure I want to read the rest of the book.:(
  14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I don't know if I could handle reading this book.
  15. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I don't know if I could handle reading it either, because it would be difficult not to imagine oneself in the situation, too.

I say this because the flipside to the coin, is that the ongoing Daniel Morcombe kidnapping / murder case in Australia has been pretty much solved this week.

However, not to dwell on the apparently graphic nature of the book, this is the story of a girl / woman who survived a terrible ordeal. What an extraordinary human being she must be.
  16. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I listened to the book in my car. The book is read by the author...and is unbelievably compelling. She and Elizabeth Smart are made of some amazing ingredients.
  17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder if she keeps in touch with her stepfather. The one who saw the kidnapping and was once a suspect in her disappearance.
  18. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

In seeing an interview with Jaycee and her mother, they mentioned, it's just us, so maybe there is no contact with her stepfather.
  19. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

e
    Well..another way to look at it is: How could you not?
    Jaycee had the courage to life through it and to tell her story. How could we not honor that by reading her book and speaking about one little girl's courage, strength and hope?
  20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I read a part of the book where she describes her stepfather who did not care for her. They had a rocky relationship. After the family moved from Anaheim to Lake Tahoe, her stepfather said that she should walk to school, instead of him giving her a ride. She was just eleven at the time. How could anyone let a young girl like that walk alone in that isolated area? It's dangerous! It showed a total lack of caring. He has to bear at least some of the blame for her kidnapping, even though he was not directly involved in it. From the book, after she was rescued, she found out that her mom and her stepfather had separated, and it was a relief for her. He did not SEE the kidnapping, from the way it's described in the book.
  21. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I felt the same way, so I just sent a donation to her charity.
  22. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Good point. Maybe I should restate it as, "I don't know if I could handle reading this book, right now.
  23. lise

lise New Member

I read the book and as graphic as it is; she is a remarkable woman. How she found the courage to adapt and raise her daughters, I have no clue.

I'm so glad she's doing well now.
  24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

What I found really amazing was that she had her first baby at age 14, and her second at age 17(16?). That is really young to carry responsibilities of motherhood, but she did a great job of it. Even though the circumstances of their birth was horrifying, she sounds like she has always had unconditional love for her daughters. That is so remarkable.
  25. NeilJLeonard

It's a tough read, but you can do it. It's not an easy read, but it is a rewarding one. At the end you'll have acquired a profound respect for that little girl that survived to become an absolutely remarkable woman.

I hope the rest of Jaycee's life is kind to her. After the torture she endured - not abuse, perverse torture, sexual and psychological - she deserves it.

NJL (...1st a father that seems to abandon her & never even tries to contact her until after she's found and freed, then a step-father that seems to see her as a bothersome impediment to his life, then Phillip...to say that the men in Jaycee's life have not been the cream of the crop is an understatement...:(...)
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  26. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Personally I have no interest in reading this book and I am somewhat bemused by all the people who are pushing others to read it who don't want to. It seems to be going beyond the usual "I read this great book and I recommend it" into "you have a moral obligation to force yourself to read this book whether you want to or not."

Um, no. I don't.
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't see anyone pushing others to read it. Posters are just expressing their opinions- some say they can't read it; others feel it is still worth reading, and they have their reasons. If you don't have interest in reading it, don't read it. Nobody is pushing you to.
  28. MacMadame

There are certainly a lot of "you can do it!" posts including the one right above mine. To me, that's pushing. You are free to disagree, of course.
    Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  29. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

ITA - I don't need to read the book in order to respect Jaycee for handling this horrible situation so well.
    PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  30. NeilJLeonard

I'm not pushing or demanding. I am strongly recommending. Sorry you can't see that or interpret it differently. If you don't want to, then don't. It's understood that the choice is always yours.

NJL (...but, please understand, IMO the loss is yours, too...:)...)
  31. MacMadame

And you don't see that has pushing... well, alrighty then. :p
  32. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If you like a movie and you "strongly recommend it" to others, does it mean you are "pushing" them to see it?
  33. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

This is the comment that made me feel as though the poster was trying to guilt trip everyone in this thread . . . or everyone in the world . . . into reading the book.

There's a lot of suffering and injustice in the world. We each pick and choose where to invest our emotional capital (or actual time, labor, and money) in acknowledging the horrors, supporting the survivors, and trying to make things better. Not everyone is going to choose reading a book they find disturbing as their top priority.
    PDilemma, mag, Kasey and 5 others like this.
  34. MacMadame

Did I quote where he "strongly recommended" it? No, I quoted the little guilt trip of "it's your loss." THAT is pushing.

^^This.
  35. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I'm just squeamish and fussy about my choice of reading materials. I hated the Helen Keller and Anne Frank books every time we had to read them for school. They were intended to be inspirational, but I found their stories sad and depressing, as a grade-school child through high school and college. Also hate stories about wars and battles, murders, and most non-fiction. (Told you I was picky) I'd choose a sci fi, fantasy or romance novel any day...or any book on figure skating, of course.
  36. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I was quoting NJL ("strongly recommended")- I don't see that as pushing.

Again, nobody is forcing you to read the book. If you are not interested, so be it. No need to complain about people that want to talk about the book.
  37. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Again, she wasn't complaining that people wanted to talk about the book, she felt that several people were "pushing" others to read it who stated that they did not want to do so. I read those posts the same way. As well-intentioned as they may have been, they weren't "recommendations," one was an outright guilt-trip.
  38. Alexa5

Alexa5 New Member

I really admire her also, but I, too, couldn't read the book. The excerpts were hard enough to read. I have so little free time once after tending to my son and getting chores done, that I really prefer light reading when I do have the time. I probably wouldn't sleep a wink if I read the full book--serious books like that haunt me. Reading about kidnapping and torture is just a horrifying topic and freaks me out.
  39. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I hope that writing this book was (a) theraputic for Ms. Dugard and that (b) she makes a lot of money and that she can take care of her girls needs for the rest of their lives. No amount of money can make up for what she went through but I hope she will be comfortable and the bastard rots in heII.
  40. NeilJLeonard

I believe that Jaycee has stated that the book has helped her.

The State of California awarded Jaycee $20,000,000 in compensation in July of 2010 for it's errors in investigating her abduction and, especially, in Garrido's various parole officers, he was on parole for a 50 year sentence for abduction & rape, not thoroughly investigating his property in over 60 visits there.

Hopefully, the ongoing therapy she's getting, along with the availability of sufficient $$$ to keep her going & taking care of her children, and, I suspect, her extended family, will provide her with all she needs to recover from this ordeal. Having watched Diane Sawyer's extended interview with her, which convinced me I should read the book, BTW, I feel she'll do well. In that extended conversation you meet a delightfully happy soul that hates no one, considers herself blessed and seems to greet each day as an adventure to be embraced and devoured. Fantastic young woman. She deserves every good thing that life can now bring her.

Mr Garrido has a prison sentence of several hundred years to life. From what I can gather he's kept in the same unit as Charles Manson, because if either of them is ever let into the prison's general population they'd be soon killed by some con out to increase his street cred inside. Consequently, he spends 23 hours a day locked in a small room. He'll spend whatever time he has left there. If this is true I find it very appropriate & pleasing. He pretty much has a life like he forced on Jaycee. He deserves it.

NJL
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011