Jay Leno - pairs skater

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sit_spin, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Last night on Jay Leno, he interviewed a former pairs skater. They did not mention his name, but they did show a picture of him and his partner. Did anyone watch, and if so, could you identify him? (It was the part where Lauren Graham came and babysat the baby.)

For those of you who didn't see it, here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Iu3mkTMak

2. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

3. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I watched Leno last night and was wondering the same thing. I didn't recognize him.. who is he?

4. Capella

Capella Guest

Usually the big title banner has an all-white background, but this one is darker behind the State Farm logo. Plus the boards are draped blue instead of the white they've used. I just looked on the USFS website and they only have photos going back to 2003, so it has to be before that. Now I just need to find photos from mid-late 90s.

5. Capella

Capella Guest

1996 had that banner. So the dude must have competed in San Jose. Sixteen teams competed. I know for sure he's not 1-6, 8, or 13.

6. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

He's not 9 either as Melanie Lambert / Fred Palascak are now professionals on Dancing in Ice in the UK or at least they were at some point, I don't watch it.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the competition link. Really, really a walk back in time to look at so many of those names. Agosto without Belbin, D. Delmore as a pairs skater (I did not know that), and a ubiquitous Baldwin, though not John.

8. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

What about Scott Irvine?

9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I watched Jay last night and I did not recognize him either. When he pulled out the ladies costume he reminded me of the big dude who dresses up like a lady and does a comical skate routine with a smaller dude. The team used to perform with SOI or COI or maybe it was some other Disson show.

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wait a minute -- you're saying Leno interviewed the guy without saying his name? At all? Why would he do that? Was it just some random on-the-street interview?

11. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  12. javachip

javachip New Member

definitely Jeff Weiss with Tiffany S.

13. leigh

leigh New Member

I recognize him. He skates at my rink in Burbank sometimes. His name is Benjamin Oberman. I don't know who he used to compete with though.

14. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

you got it right! It is Benjamin Oberman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rxqq17MER0

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

He was the 1996 Jr. Silver medalist w/ Naomi Grabow. They finished 8th in srs. in 97, 9th in 98, and then split.

16. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

The Leno video has been blocked by NBC -- now that we know who the pairs skater was, why was he on?

18. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Leno did a segment where he knocks on people's doors and asked if they were watching the new fall season on NBC and whether he could do things for them so they had free time to watch NBC. The pair skater and his wife (who's a doctor) just happened to be one of the doors he knocked on. After Jay found out he was a pair skater then the pair skater brought out his costumes and a photo of his competitive days.

19. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

That's really cool. Did Benjamin say what he's doing now? Is he coaching, or off doing something completely different?