Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Seerek, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

That's exactly what has pissed me off about this, because I well remember when Leno's ratings were in the toilet that first year and Letterman was kicking his arse. Leno changed his entire show to bring ratings up - the set was rebuilt & everything as I remember.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I am still :eek: at the amount of money Conan is receiving simply for being let go/unemployed. How many Americans would love to receive that much money in unemployment benefits or severance packages?! If I didn't perform well at my job, or if my "rating" wasn't what my boss thought it should be, I'd be let go with only my final paycheck and perhaps whatever I received for cashing in my vacation and/or sick leave. I know; life isn't fair. A friend of mine posted on her Facebook status last night to think about how that money could be used to help the Haitians. :(

3. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

there are contracts in the hollywood world.

4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the LA sunshine can't be too great for Conan's famously pale and sensitive skin -- he must have invested in a huge supply of SPF90 sunscreen before moving West. ;)

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

And he wasn't let go. His show was moved back a half hour. And he flipped out.

6. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

He didn't flip out......he said he wasn't going to move the show. It wouldn't be the "tonight" show when it's starting the next morning. Either way, happy for Conan. Hope Jay tanks.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skatingfan5

I hope they both do well -- Jay with the "Tonight Show" and Conan with the "Whatever Time of the Night Show" on some network that is not NBC. :)

8. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

NBC offered Leno a contract to stay. He did not force himself on NBC. He did not demand a show. He was happy to entertain offers from other networks. He did not stage a sit-in in the parking lot until they gave him the 10 PM show.

NBC panicked when it became clear Leno intended to keep working on television after leaving The Tonight Show. He never said he was going to leave television. I know I'm a broken record, but I'll say again, NBC should have picked one or the other -- Leno or O'Brien -- and put the network's full weight behind that person as host of The Tonight Show.

I personally think O'Brien was not a good choice for The Tonight Show. His East Coast sensibility and edgy quality are not suited for a Hollywood based show in the 11:30 time slot. But if NBC execs believed in him, they should have believed in him 100% instead of the way it was handled.

I will not cry for him or his staff. All are leaving well compensated.

skatingfan5 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. skatingfan5

Not sure why this was such a problem -- his ratings in the later time slot are what made him someone that NBC didn't want to let go and got him the "Tonight Show" gig in the first place. I guess "the grass is always greener" -- but I'd say that $32M is a lot of green. :D

10. pixie cut

Ego. If a show starts after midnight, it's not The Tonight Show, and he was promised The Tonight Show.

Also, it seemed a recipe for more trouble, so best to cut your losses.

11. skatingfan5

What an elitist, East-coast-centric attitude! :drama: ;) Here in the heartland, it would still have been the Tonight Show, starting at 11:05 p.m. -- even if it's taped at around 4 in the afternoon, which is NOT exactly night anyway. :lol:

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Many people let go due to performance issues are given severance packages beyond their last paycheck and vacation time. It's not just CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.

:cheer2: to Conan for fighting for the extra money for severance for his staff.

13. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Most places I know give you a 6 month probationary period. if you don't work to expectations, you are let go. Or a performance improvement plan is put into place - which could be the case here "we will give you some help with Jay in the first 30 minutes and you follow just not as late as before". Often times in network television, your show doesn't do well it can be canceled quickly sometimes after the first airing.

unless some of you/us know exactly what went out behind the closed doors and what was in the contract neogiations, we don't know that Jay or Conan are the bad guys here. It might be that NBC is not the bad guy.

My personal thoughts about the whole situation has blame enough for all and listed below is my assumption of what happened.

Jay didn't want to retire, NBC strong armed him to sign the contract ~ 5years ago to turn the show over to Conan. Didn't want to, but NBC wanted it.

Conan was threatening to leave, NBC wanted to retain him so wrote a contract that would appease Conan, perhaps because that Dave Letterman showed them that one could be succesful on another network.

Time's up, Jay is reminded that he is leaving, he's still not ready to and talks about walking. Conan is excited because what he wanted is "finally happening". Jay makes noises about leaving, NBC has to find a way to appease him.

Conan moves to 11:30 (10:30 CST). Jay moves to 10 (9 CST). Neither shows are as successful as before the change. Affiliates are angry that their viewerships are dropping.

NBC has three parties to appease here. Affiliates are probably saying "it wasn't broke until you broke it" Offered solutions that they felt would appease everyone and ends up appeasing no one. Conan says "I'm walking" thinking that NBC will support him over Jay. NBC called his bluff.

Who wins here? don't know Who loses here? just about everyone. I don't see anyway this will work out for anyone.

14. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

That probably didn't bother NBC at the time. NBC went from paying Johnny Carson $20 million a year (and remember how he worked 3 days a week the last few years?) to Leno for $5 million a year. Also, Leno's sidekick doubled as the band leader. No Ed McMahon to pay for, either.

BTW, I heard that just before Leno was awarded the Tonight Show, he signed a contract to do Vegas shows every weekend for 10 years. He honored the contract and did the shows every weekend in addition to doing the Tonight Show!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203550604574360503853566592.html

Maybe it was part of the contract all along, based on this old article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20211733_4,00.html

And maybe NBC concluded they would have lost even more money if O'Brien developed a successful show on another network a few years ago.

So...what if, God forbid, Leno dies in the near future? Will Jimmy Fallon take his place? :p Carson Daly? :rofl:

15. moojja

moojja Active Member

In Friday night show, Tom Hanks said he was responsible for the nickname. It was a great show. I loved Conan's closing monologue. It was classy, and hit all the right notes.

16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

But if I left my job for a new one and failed miserably at the new one; I wouldn't be able to just get my old job back, screwing over my replacement and everyone who worked under him. So this logic can easily be applied to Jay as well.

17. pixie cut

Jay Leno didn't leave his old job willingly. He simply followed orders. And he was mighty fine at his old job. It's not Leno who screwed over his replacement, it's NBC network brass who made this decision. They could have sacked Leno, paid out his contract and kept O'Brien as host of The Tonight Show.

18. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Where do you get this from? So far I keep seeing this mostly coming from you and not anyone else. If you got it from an article please link it. Also a current article about the past isn't so trustworthy. He has reason to rewrite the past given all the controversy. I'm more interested in what he said at the time he quit the Tonight Show.

19. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I thought everyone knew Jay was forced to give up the Tonight Show? That it was standard knowledge?

20. pixie cut

Yes, it's standard knowledge. There have been countless articles over the past five years. Anyone who thinks I dreamed it up has been under a rock. Even people who don't like Leno and think he should have graciously stepped aside for O'Brien acknowledge that Leno NEVER wanted to give up The Tonight Show. As he said in an interview just before he did his last Tonight Show, people asked him why he didn't fight harder to keep it. He said he was the kind of guy who didn't want to stay where he wasn't wanted. But as he said ON THE AIR on his show about a week ago, he never wanted to leave that job.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvFzHDnczdc&feature=related

21. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Well pardon me for actually trying to sleep at night instead of paying attention to the drama or Leno. :rolleyes: I always did my best to stay away from anything Leno which makes it pretty hard to know that kind of "common knowledge".

If Leno was the kind of guy that didn't want to stay where he wasn't wanted he sure did a piss poor job of staying away.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice that Guy Fieri (Food Network) has one of the 10 pm replacement shows? I just can't see how it fits in that time slot, or on network tv....

:scream:

23. pixie cut

Then why are you on this thread?

I didn't love Leno, but I liked him well enough. I liked him better than I like O'Brien. I will gladly watch either of them and Letterman as well if they have a guest I like. I don't watch the monologues. That's when I'm getting ready for bed. At midnight I turn it on and see who the guests are. If I like the guests, I watch. If not, it's lights out.

24. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I'm in this thread because I care that Conan is gone now and I'm reading for news of where he might end up. The common knowledge of how Leno left the show isn't common knowledge for those who stopped watching it because he was hosting. It isn't common knowledge if the only news some cared about at the time of his supposed retirement is just that he was gone. I'll be back to not watching the show again now that Leno is back.

I wish that they had left Conan on until after the Olympics. If the timing of the broadcasts is anything like Torino I'm sure I'll be stuck seeing some of Leno's inane crap again. :blah:

25. pixie cut

I am fairly certain O'Brien will be back on the air come September, which I believe is when his contract allows.

While I prefer Leno slightly, I feel badly that NBC didn't stand behind O'Brien 100%. Once they picked him to host The Tonight Show they should have given him full support and let Leno try his luck elsewhere. But I can only feel so bad for someone paid millions and millions and MILLIONS of dollars to simply go away.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  26. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Well if they had stuck behind O'Brien they wouldn't have had to pay him millions of dollars to go away. It'll be interesting to see what the ratings of the Tonight Show will be now that all is said and done and Jay takes over.

27. pixie cut

We will never know how O'Brien could have done had he not been saddled with Leno at 10 PM. I don't think he would have equaled Leno's numbers, but it would have been better.

I don't think Leno will recapture what he had before he left. If he does, it will take quite some time for the stench of the 10 PM show to subside.

28. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Sadly the biggest loser in this whole situation will be the NBC affiliates as they struggle to regain their news audiences.

29. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

Sadly, the biggest loser is NBC, not just the affiliates. This situation has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm switching to a different network for everything (news and late night) except for The Office. Sure, I'm just one person, but I think the way NBC has treated Conan has really come off badly to a lot of people.

30. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Leno's numbers will continue to decline because his appeal is primarily to an older audience. Conan's strength is that he appeals to a younger audience and therefore has the larger potential for growth. NBC's decision is somewhat shortsighted in that regard.

Late night television on the whole is going to have a declining audience simply because there are so many more options available to people now than in the past. Cable channels have more and more original programming competing at that hour and young people are just as likely to look online for programming as to look to their televisions.

If 30 Rock weren't on NBC I'd have zero reason to ever watch it. I certainly haven't and won't be watching the Tonight Show in future. I've always found Leno incredibly annoying and smug.