Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Seerek, Jan 7, 2010.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Why is Conan called "Coco" ? Everytime I hear the name Coco, I immediately think that Courtney Cox and David Arquette's daughter is all grown up and is in show business :lol:.
  2. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Yes, however I read a WaPo article last week about how when Leno took over for Carson, the ratings dropped and stayed dropped for over a year until he could get the groove back. They didn't give Conan enough time to do the same.
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Back in the early 1990's, NBC's ratings were a complete contrast to their position now -- with ratings going down each week (and their affiliates threatening to mutiny) they didn't have time to see if anyone would "get their groove back."
  5. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Aha.. makes sense :lol:
  6. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Yeah NBC had a good line up back then.. with Friends and ER and what not. I couldn't tell you what was on NBC now.. mind you I don't watch nearly as much TV as I did back then.
  7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

WSJ, Reuters, and TMZ are reporting that Leno will go back to the Tonight Show on March 1. Conan's last show will be tomorrow. NBC is going to pay Conan $32.5 million and his staff $12 million ("in fck-off money" according to AICN :rofl: )

Conan will be "free to pursue other opportunities" starting Sept. 1.
  8. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Nice deal.
  9. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Friends didn't start until 1994, but NBC did have a good line up. Beyond that, the big three networks, ABC, NBC and CBS, were still dominant. FOX had not yet become a force. The smaller networks like Bravo, USA, A&E, etc. weren't really producing much original programming. Some, like AMC, didn't even exist. This was before HBO and Showtime began producing series like The Tudors, Curb Your Enthusiasm, United States of Tara, Californication, etc. Remember, Sex and the City debuted in 1998. So it was no big deal to give Jay Leno a year to settle in at The Tonight Show or give Conan O'Brien nearly three years to really catch on with Late Night.

Those days are over. Now it's do or die. Conan was supposed to hit the ground running at The Tonight Show, especially since his arrival had been hyped for five years. No time. Do it now. He didn't.
  10. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

The problem is, they're also rewarding the wrong guy - Jay Leno. The Tonight Show under Conan had a horrible lead-in due to the awful local news ratings. Why did their ratings drop? Because The Jay Leno Show tanked at 10. With such horrible prime time programming decisions on NBC, Conan didn't stand a chance.
  11. pixie cut

Conan was on the air for months before Leno's 10 PM show debuted. He tanked from day one.
  12. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

He didn't tank from day one. That's simply not true. He got very good ratings his first month or so. He had 3 months where he didn't have to follow Leno, 4 in which he had to follow Leno's disastrous show.

And you don't judge a guy based on 7 months of performance. Network television hasn't changed that much. In fact, most networks are trying creative marketing plans & scheduling techniques to balance the competition from other media outlets (namely the Internet) This is sheer laziness on NBC's part.
  13. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

He didn't have a good lead-in from NBC over the summer, either. Also, what apparently triggered NBC to act was it's affilliates insisting that they stop with Leno's 10:00 show, not complaints over Conan's ratings. But, even if you focus on the late night ratings, I'm sure NBC knew when they entered into the original contract that Conan wasn't going to get the same ratings that Leno got. They made an agreement that kept Conan from going elsewhere and promised him The Tonight Show. Conan probably wishes he had struck a deal with ABC years ago, before Kimmel did. He really doesn't have any good options now. But, with all that cash, I'm sure he'll find a way to keep busy. :lol: I'm glad his staff is getting good severance packages.
  14. pixie cut

Not laziness. Lack of guts.

They gave neither man their support. If they believed fully in Leno, they should have let him keep The Tonight Show and let O'Brien walk. If they believed fully in O'Brien they should have handed him The Tonight Show and let Leno walk. They gave neither man their support. They played them both and used them both. Neither Leno nor O'Brien are at fault. I again point the finger at NBC's gutless leadership.
  15. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

Didn't Hugh Grant's "I'm sorry" appearance got Leno's Tonight Show in the groove? If Kanye West went on the Tonight Show instead of the Leno show last September, that could have catapulted O'Brien's show.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/14/kanye.west.leno/index.html

then again, maybe people are just tired of regularly watching late night talk shows in general :yawn:
  16. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

:40beers:

I do not get why so many people are hating on Jay Leno when from what I can see it's the suits at NBC who are moving both him and O'Brien around like chess pieces. I feel like it's that mob mentality at work (not referring to the posters here but all the celebrities, news media sticking their noses in it) and everyone has to jump on O'Brien's bandwagon.

In all honestly I'm not all the crazy about either man and have preferred Letterman and Ferguson when I watch the late night talk shows. I just don't understand why all the slams against Leno when this whole mess wasn't his decision in the first place.
  17. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

18. pixie cut

The sentiment seems to be that Leno should gracefully step aside. Why? He did a good job for 17 years. For like 15 of those years he was #1. Why would a guy who was #1 want to gracefully step aside? If NBC believed O'Brien was better they should have cut Leno loose and stood by their new horse. NBC panicked when it became clear Leno would leave The Tonight Show but he wouldn't retire. What's wrong with Leno wanting The Tonight Show back? He never wanted to leave in the first place? It was NBC's horrible decision to give him a 10 PM show.

What remains to be seen is if Leno can reestablish himself as host of The Tonight Show or whether too much damage has been done.

Note to people under 40, people don't necessarily want to retire as their 60th birthday approaches even if they're rich. Jay Leno loved to work. He never was going to ride off into the sunset. Mike Wallace worked until after the age of 90. As he said when he was finally leaving 60 Minutes (at the age of 92 I think), "I work. I don't have hobbies. Work is all I know and enjoy."
    deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

As one comedian said...Leno was a legend in standup, then he got The Tonight Show and got stale, didn't do anything new.

Overall I blame NBC, but if Leno agreed to leave, he should have left. He could have done specials, more standup, etc.

Conan wasn't given a chance.

NBC is going to have to create a really killer show for me to ever watch their network again.

douchebags.

Oh well, I'm sure old people will be happy with Leno's return. He's such a nice young man. /snark
  20. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Did Conan and all of his staff move from NYC to Cal for this show? If so, I hope he and they are able to uproot their kids again and able to sell their houses if they end up back in NYC. Personally, I do agree that he has a more east coast rather than Hollywood vibe.
  21. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

That's exactly what has pissed me off about this, because I well remember when Leno's ratings were in the toilet that first year and Letterman was kicking his arse. Leno changed his entire show to bring ratings up - the set was rebuilt & everything as I remember.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I am still :eek: at the amount of money Conan is receiving simply for being let go/unemployed. How many Americans would love to receive that much money in unemployment benefits or severance packages?! If I didn't perform well at my job, or if my "rating" wasn't what my boss thought it should be, I'd be let go with only my final paycheck and perhaps whatever I received for cashing in my vacation and/or sick leave. I know; life isn't fair. A friend of mine posted on her Facebook status last night to think about how that money could be used to help the Haitians. :(
  23. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

there are contracts in the hollywood world.
  24. skatingfan5

Not to mention that the LA sunshine can't be too great for Conan's famously pale and sensitive skin -- he must have invested in a huge supply of SPF90 sunscreen before moving West. ;)
  25. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

And he wasn't let go. His show was moved back a half hour. And he flipped out.
  26. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

He didn't flip out......he said he wasn't going to move the show. It wouldn't be the "tonight" show when it's starting the next morning. Either way, happy for Conan. Hope Jay tanks.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. skatingfan5

I hope they both do well -- Jay with the "Tonight Show" and Conan with the "Whatever Time of the Night Show" on some network that is not NBC. :)
  28. pixie cut

NBC offered Leno a contract to stay. He did not force himself on NBC. He did not demand a show. He was happy to entertain offers from other networks. He did not stage a sit-in in the parking lot until they gave him the 10 PM show.

NBC panicked when it became clear Leno intended to keep working on television after leaving The Tonight Show. He never said he was going to leave television. I know I'm a broken record, but I'll say again, NBC should have picked one or the other -- Leno or O'Brien -- and put the network's full weight behind that person as host of The Tonight Show.

I personally think O'Brien was not a good choice for The Tonight Show. His East Coast sensibility and edgy quality are not suited for a Hollywood based show in the 11:30 time slot. But if NBC execs believed in him, they should have believed in him 100% instead of the way it was handled.

I will not cry for him or his staff. All are leaving well compensated.
    skatingfan5 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. skatingfan5

Not sure why this was such a problem -- his ratings in the later time slot are what made him someone that NBC didn't want to let go and got him the "Tonight Show" gig in the first place. I guess "the grass is always greener" -- but I'd say that $32M is a lot of green. :D
  30. pixie cut

Ego. If a show starts after midnight, it's not The Tonight Show, and he was promised The Tonight Show.

Also, it seemed a recipe for more trouble, so best to cut your losses.
  31. skatingfan5

What an elitist, East-coast-centric attitude! :drama: ;) Here in the heartland, it would still have been the Tonight Show, starting at 11:05 p.m. -- even if it's taped at around 4 in the afternoon, which is NOT exactly night anyway. :lol:
  32. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Many people let go due to performance issues are given severance packages beyond their last paycheck and vacation time. It's not just CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.

:cheer2: to Conan for fighting for the extra money for severance for his staff.
  33. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Most places I know give you a 6 month probationary period. if you don't work to expectations, you are let go. Or a performance improvement plan is put into place - which could be the case here "we will give you some help with Jay in the first 30 minutes and you follow just not as late as before". Often times in network television, your show doesn't do well it can be canceled quickly sometimes after the first airing.

unless some of you/us know exactly what went out behind the closed doors and what was in the contract neogiations, we don't know that Jay or Conan are the bad guys here. It might be that NBC is not the bad guy.

My personal thoughts about the whole situation has blame enough for all and listed below is my assumption of what happened.

Jay didn't want to retire, NBC strong armed him to sign the contract ~ 5years ago to turn the show over to Conan. Didn't want to, but NBC wanted it.

Conan was threatening to leave, NBC wanted to retain him so wrote a contract that would appease Conan, perhaps because that Dave Letterman showed them that one could be succesful on another network.

Time's up, Jay is reminded that he is leaving, he's still not ready to and talks about walking. Conan is excited because what he wanted is "finally happening". Jay makes noises about leaving, NBC has to find a way to appease him.

Conan moves to 11:30 (10:30 CST). Jay moves to 10 (9 CST). Neither shows are as successful as before the change. Affiliates are angry that their viewerships are dropping.

NBC has three parties to appease here. Affiliates are probably saying "it wasn't broke until you broke it" Offered solutions that they felt would appease everyone and ends up appeasing no one. Conan says "I'm walking" thinking that NBC will support him over Jay. NBC called his bluff.

Who wins here? don't know Who loses here? just about everyone. I don't see anyway this will work out for anyone.
  34. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

That probably didn't bother NBC at the time. NBC went from paying Johnny Carson $20 million a year (and remember how he worked 3 days a week the last few years?) to Leno for $5 million a year. Also, Leno's sidekick doubled as the band leader. No Ed McMahon to pay for, either.

BTW, I heard that just before Leno was awarded the Tonight Show, he signed a contract to do Vegas shows every weekend for 10 years. He honored the contract and did the shows every weekend in addition to doing the Tonight Show!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203550604574360503853566592.html

Maybe it was part of the contract all along, based on this old article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20211733_4,00.html

And maybe NBC concluded they would have lost even more money if O'Brien developed a successful show on another network a few years ago.

So...what if, God forbid, Leno dies in the near future? Will Jimmy Fallon take his place? :p Carson Daly? :rofl:
  35. moojja

moojja Active Member

In Friday night show, Tom Hanks said he was responsible for the nickname. It was a great show. I loved Conan's closing monologue. It was classy, and hit all the right notes.
  36. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

But if I left my job for a new one and failed miserably at the new one; I wouldn't be able to just get my old job back, screwing over my replacement and everyone who worked under him. So this logic can easily be applied to Jay as well.
  37. pixie cut

Jay Leno didn't leave his old job willingly. He simply followed orders. And he was mighty fine at his old job. It's not Leno who screwed over his replacement, it's NBC network brass who made this decision. They could have sacked Leno, paid out his contract and kept O'Brien as host of The Tonight Show.
  38. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Where do you get this from? So far I keep seeing this mostly coming from you and not anyone else. If you got it from an article please link it. Also a current article about the past isn't so trustworthy. He has reason to rewrite the past given all the controversy. I'm more interested in what he said at the time he quit the Tonight Show.
  39. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

I thought everyone knew Jay was forced to give up the Tonight Show? That it was standard knowledge?
  40. pixie cut

Yes, it's standard knowledge. There have been countless articles over the past five years. Anyone who thinks I dreamed it up has been under a rock. Even people who don't like Leno and think he should have graciously stepped aside for O'Brien acknowledge that Leno NEVER wanted to give up The Tonight Show. As he said in an interview just before he did his last Tonight Show, people asked him why he didn't fight harder to keep it. He said he was the kind of guy who didn't want to stay where he wasn't wanted. But as he said ON THE AIR on his show about a week ago, he never wanted to leave that job.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvFzHDnczdc&feature=related