Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Seerek, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Well, they're saying the plan is for Jay's 35 at 11:30, Conan an hour at midnight, and then Fallon because that is the path of least resistance, fewer lawsuits. We'll see where all of this falls when the dust settles. The shame of it is that they want everyone to agree to the switch right away, when Conan and Fallon should be allowed time to shop around.

2. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I want to thank NBC for this.

3. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

This just sucks - Leno is the one who made noise about retiring. Plans were made, Conan was named successor, and then Leno changes his mind? Wah wah...he should have stuck to retiring and doing something else.

Sorry, but this sucks for Conan and I wouldn't blame him if he's pissed. If he jumps ship, so do I.

4. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Not defending Leno or NBC at all, but something had to be done to satisfy the affiliates; they count on a big audience for their 11 p.m. newscasts and something had to be done. I'm surprised the "experiment" lasted this long, frankly.

5. missflick

missflick New Member

The good news is that NBC is calling for more scripted dramas/comedies/dramedies. Which hopefully, it they are good and are successes, becomes a trend. So we will see fewer stupid reality shows and lame talk shows.

6. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

I'm just happy that Leno is no longer clogging up prime time.

7. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Craig Fergusson is the best, imho. He even had a hilarious clip talking about the whole situation, culminating with "but we were the worst at the same time, every day of the week." :lol: Love him, and hope he moves on to bigger and better things in the future.

Conan would be great on Comedy, I bet. When he, Colbert and Stewart did their writers' strike bit, I was impressed. It seemed to fit. He could be the non-political hour. :p

I agree 100%. The promising Southland was bumped from the network to make room for Jay. I was suddenly glad none of my favourite shows were on NBC. What happened to the peacock? Didn't they rule evening television once upon a time? Wasn't Friends on here? Wasn't it a slightly edgy, more mature option to Disney's ABC?

I've never heard Conan likened to a frat boy. :lol: I wish I'd gone to your post secondary institution, then, as the frat boys I've known weren't that clever. :p But it does show that Conan's not the general audience pleaser NBC hoped he'd be, which I'm not too surprised about.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I thought TNT picked up Southland. I hope so, 'cause I lurve Regina King; she deserves a good show.

9. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this post. Jay's monologue is good, but so are his interviews.

IMO, NBC is trying to "have it's cake and eat it too"! So if Conan could not deliver the ratings they needed, then just let him go (and pay the contract penalty) or put him back in his old slot (and pay the contract penalty).

This sounds like one of those ridiculous comprimises where trying to make everyone happy and actually no one is happy. I doubt Jay will be happy just doing monologues, I doubt Conan wants to start later, and the public ratings support Jay more than Conan, so changing him to monologue only is not likely to make them happy either. Sounds like everyone loses. JMO.

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

They did.

It's really interesting seeing the various reactions from different internet-scapes. All of the younger generation-based (like my age and younger) forums and blogs I've seen are all, "Bump Leno! Keep Conan!" while it's completely the opposite for older-skewing places. :lol:

Now if only they could figure out a good time slot to take advantage of that...

11. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I think Jay will walk. He has made it very clear that he is not happy with what is going on. There are rumors that he is considering a offer from Fox.

12. missflick

missflick New Member

You mean Conan?

13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I hope Conan walks. He deserves better.

14. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that famous quote by Johnny Carson to Letterman in the early 1990s:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/advice-for-conan-from-the-late-shift,36923/

Remember when Letterman's show was on NBC and he kept referring to the NBC/General Electric executives as 'pinheads'? Now, more than ever, we know Letterman wasn't exaggerating.

BTW, Wanda Sykes' show is on Fox. That could make an ugly predicament for Fox, too, if Conan moves there. http://www.fox.com/wanda/

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Why? Because she'd be bumped? I read a month ago she was getting piss poor ratings.

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I usually love Wanda, but I could not watch her after about 10 minutes. I tried several times. I would watch Leno on Fox, but not Conan. However, the general audience age group for Fox (not Faux news) is younger and probably are Conan fans

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  17. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Conan is too clever and too dorky to be a frat boy :lol:

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Letterman's jokes about this situation last night were very funny. he opened with "I'm still not getting the Tonight Show"

19. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

Rex
    I heard on TBS a promo that Southland is on tonight at 10:00 EST on TNT. :)

20. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

It did pick up Southland, but that's a touch of a step down from NBC, isn't it?

Regina King is amazing. As is, surprisingly, Ben McKenzie from The OC.

21. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

And he's made his decision! Conan's statement

I have so much respect for him right now.

22. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

Me too. Good for you Conan. LOL abt your hair.

23. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Let's see what NBC does now!! They screwed up when they allowed Jay Leno to call the shots. He was the one who wanted to retire so NBC looked around for a replacement and Conan stepped up. Then Jay decided he didn't want to retire so got NBC to give him that primetime show - which was never going to work in a million years. That totally took the audience away from the local news broadcasts and the Tonight Show itself - never giving Conan a chance to develop an audience IMHO. NBC are reaping what they sowed - and they are looking more and more like they are up s#%ts creek without a paddle!!

24. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Man, Conan really let NBC have it. At least in a world of over-PR'd statements. He wasn't rude or bitter, but he didn't pull any punches. Good on him.

25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

This is what gets me. Why should Jay just be able to change his mind like that? Doesn't he realize other people are relying, to their detriment, on his promises? Can't people honor their commitments?

26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Totally. Good for him for not accepting the huge slam that NBC was serving, for pointing out that the network brought their troubles onto themselves and are going back on their word, and for name checking Carson, Letterman and even Fallon.

I hope that NBC leaves Conan's Tonight Show as it is and gets rid of Leno (whose appeal I never understood). If not, I hope Conan gets another opportunity soon and is able to shine - I think he will come out of this with more interest than he had before.

27. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:watch:

Good for Conan for standing up to NBC like that. He (and other prominent members of his crew) uprooted themselves and their families to move across the country and it's not fair that NBC can just go, "Hey, never mind!" just a few months in.

28. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

And unless I'm mistaken, Conan is leveling a bit of anger towards Leno too. The "10 pound jaw" joke last night, the "like my predecessor" part in the statement that discusses how Leno had time to overcome the shaky ratings he had in the beginning.

29. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Anyone want to theorize this is all a conspiracy to get more viewers to watch The Tonight Show and get ratings back to NBC? lol

Also, good for Conan. I loved his statement. Well said, and lol @ the hair.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I'm pretty sure Wanda Sykes is only on once a week (Saturdays?). So, creating a show for Conan (or Leno) wouldnt affect her.

Good on Conan for standing up. He's right, it wouldnt be "the tonight show" if it didnt start until after midnight. I've enjoyed him at 11:35, and I hope he stays there. The ball is in NBCs court.

I agree with what others have said. Jay retired. Then he changed his mind, and got the 10:00 show (who the heck thought that was a good idea). He screwed local news, he screwed Conan. It's time for Jay to actually retire and go away. Put things back to how they should be, and maybe Conan can do something with the TOnight Show.